Can you control your bullie when they get too excited?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There was a rather large bullie who went after Blue this Sunday at Bulliefest. He wasn't being vicious, but was playing very rough and trying to submit Blue.

When it was obvious Blue was scared, my husband got in the middle. The bullies owner was a small lady who couldn't control him at all. She kept pulling on his lead but was getting nowhere. In fact, her bullie was pulling her so hard, she was having a hard time keeping her footing.
It got so bad, Chris had to pick Blue up. Her bullie didn't stop even then. He was still trying to get at Blue even if it meant climbing up Chris.

Now, we all know Bullies are built like trucks. They're tough, strong, stubborn and can be very determined.
So how many here can honestly say they can control their EB's when they get this way? She obviously couldn't, but I'm sure she thought she could..

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Me, I'm not that confident. So, if the situation gets out of control, the husband gets his alpha male on.

I lost control of Angus once. We had a GSD stay with us for a few days - he's been with us a lot but this is the first time he came after we got Angus. I didn't even think about how Angus would react because Angus has always been the Omega-dog. Not this time. George comes in the door, Bullie and Gizmo greets him with enthusiasm, and Angus goes for his neck! Now, George is 100 lbs of muscle, Angus 50 lbs of brute strength. Angus was not listening to my commands, so I had to grab Angus by the back legs to get him to the room.

It was late when my husband got home so I didn't get a chance to tell him the situation. Early morning, I wake up and Angus and George were playing like best friends in the backyard. I asked my husband how he got the dogs to behave and he said - Angus tried to launch at George and I told him to stop it. Well, I did that yesterday and it didn't work...

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
See, I'm not either. Right now I can control his little 40 pounds, when he's an adult though....
It just opened my eyes to how careful I really need to be.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I was just having this conversation with my husband this morning. My gracie gets so red zone excited about somethings, you cannot seem to even get her attention. I know the key is not letting her get that excalated and to correct (disagree with her behavoiur) at the first sign of attention to whatever she gets excited over. Since I cannot control other dogs rushing up to her (bullies tend to do this), I have decided unfortuneatly not to take them to the dog park any more since things can get out hand.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I am a pretty small female. Chance is a handful (when he wants to be) and has grown as stubborn as a mule as he has aged. We have made the decision not to attend meetups unless we (Sean and I) are both there. Also, Chance does not go to meetups or out on hikes without his harness. The harness clips at the front which gives us a lot more control over his movement as well. Harnesses we have used in the past, which attach to the leash from the top/back, gave him all of the control so were not nearly as effective. Collars are not effective at all. He will pull til he is blue in the face (literally) and end up choking himself so unless he is just going out for a quick bathroom break, he is always harnessed.

In addition to that, I am making a renewed effort to enforce my dominance. I make Chance sit/stay when new dogs are passing us in the street and we constantly go over our recall. Sean likes to put him in a hold (around the chest). I think that's sort of akin to holding back someone who wants to pick a fight so I don't do that unless absolutely necessary. Instead I make him sit and not move until he is released.

I know HOW to subdue him but he is just over 70lbs of muscle so I'd prefer he learn not to be an asshole. :p His worst behaviour is meetup behaviour though. He loves to get mouthy, usually if another dog gets mouthy first. And he seems to think he needs to protect other bullies from interlopers. I have hauled him off and forced a sit on him a number of times.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I'm starting to have some trouble with Tubby. He is 40 lbs now and is incredibly strong & determined. Now I'm not a small girl I stand 5'10 but when he is excited and determined I might as well be 4'0. I have started anticipating his next move and have caught him before he would to pull so its been easier and he's learning to be a little calmer. I usually give a good tug to the leash say NO and make his wiggly butt sit till he's calm. Its really helped as I want him to have good manners cause no matter how excited he gets people HAVE to come over to him and get some Bully lovin from Tubbs

linwhite

Sep 24, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Guido Zamboni - EB, Zoltan - Shortybull, Zeva - Frenchie
Big Zam weighs 55 pounds at 10 months and he's being an obnoxious adolescent (I just had him neutered to help with this). He has decided my older, smaller male can not be allowed to live. Literally. I've got that under control now though. My dogs always wear a collar with their ID on it, just in case. In order to deal with his attaching Zoltan, I just pick him Zam by his collar and pull him off. If he has Zolly by the neck and won't let go, I bop him on the nose (not very hard) to make him let go. Zolly will protect himself quite competently but will back off when I intervene. Given the severity of the problem I don't worry a lot about choking Zam. I pull him off, away and down to release the tension. Then I drag him over to his crate for a time out. The collar and my ability to grab it from behind is the key. NEVER put yourself between fighting animal and I don't. Oh, now-a-days they are kept in separate rooms and if Zoltan has to go through Zam's space to go outside Zam is in his crate. I hope this resolves itself as Zam's testosterone wears off.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I've so enjoyed reading all of y'all's experiences & advice...so very helpful. :2thumbs:

I'm 5'3 & 1/2 and LOVE the big dogs, my last (before the bullies) were 100 lb'ers.

Two were Catahoula's, brothers & just awesome dogs...as a breed, they are VERY
dominant, very stubborn & headstrong and bred to attack wild boar, bear, etc. so
know no fear of man or beast, very territorial & protective (Louisiana's State dog
and many grew up w/their Cat's as nannies (gentle w/children & babies). They are
much like bullies
:rolleyes:...scarily intelligent too. Can you tell, I just love them?!!

Anyways, as I lose muscle tone from not being able to exercise often enough and too
much 'down time' when my diseases flare, I've lost physical strength and have had
to face things like this subject and come to grips w/the reality-No, I could not physically
subdue in these situations.

That's why, as I adopt or rescue, a calm & very mellow bully is a must for me.

Sigh...no puppies in my future...or young, hormonal teens
:pouting:

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
never been in a situation where i needed to......but i have my doubts that i could if Forde really wanted at something!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The lady couldn't stop apologizing. I almost felt bad for her, and to be fair- her dog was not vicious. None the less, my pup was scared and when we tried to leave, we couldn't.
I just won't put myself in a situation where I'm not positive I can control Blue, unless my husband is there.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is over 60lbs now and like to pull towards anything he decides might be nice to have or see lol. He's very strong and I am about 5'9 and 135lbs and am fairly confident in being able to control him if I have to but Only because of the leash we have. It is a regular 6ft leash but has another handle portion right down where it attaches to Tonkas harness. So if I need control of him I have a sturdy grip right over him that let's me be the boss.

uqe9u9u3.jpg

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
When I used collars on Amber I found out rather quickly it was much harder to handle her then when she has a harness on. I use a harness for both Amber and Ruby just in case I do need to control them. Now, I do not take them anywhere except Petsmart and Ruby goes nowhere until she gets her last series of shots, she is just coming up on three months old. I am just a parinoid person so I don't take chances with my bullies; I figure I got Ruby so Amber would have a playmate and so far that has worked out well. Amber is great with her and I have no control issues as of yet. Both are rough and tough but when I ask them to stop them do, if only for a moment. lol

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I can control Ruggles when he gets really excited but only when he's wearing his pretty necklace (pincher collar). When he just has his harness on it is like no power steering, power brakes on a big car. The pincher collar is Ruggles' power steering!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
sarge and LuLu dont get excited about much of anything, if there is a dog barking and want to get at them they just ignore them. They are pretty well layed back and confident with themselves.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
When around other dogs, I'm usually on the other side. Meaning, I have to tell other owners to get control of their dogs.

HOWEVER, when Remi is one on one with a dog, he can sometimes get super rough and I have to put him on a leash and prevent playtime. His "red zone".

I will admit though, Remi is STRONG. But when we're out and about, I'm able to control him with his favorite treat and sometimes being a little rough with him if need be. I will give him a tug on his collar and place him where I want him, and make him look at me in the face and I will speak softly with him, and that usually brings him down a few levels so I can then distract him, doing obedience training with a treat until he calms completely.

I can't say he is so bad that I don't feel in control. It's just more embarrassing to me that I have to control him in the first place. So my face is pretty red and stressed.

We're getting better, but sometimes I do have to restrain him as runners or bikers stream by on the trail. Most of the time he's fine with sitting, staying, and getting his treat.

EDIT: Remi is 10 months, about 50 pounds.

Last edited:

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.