When can a puppy stay home by itself?

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
What do most people do that work a 8-4 lifestyle do when they get a new puppy? I know doggie daycare is going to be some answer but there must be people that have got a new puppy and can't skip 4 weeks of work? I'm going to be in this dilemma within a month.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby is 6&1/2 months old and he gets gated off in the hall way. I don't trust him enough to stay out of trouble. When he was younger he would be crated. We were lucky that Tubbs took to his crate so well. If you do decide on crating leave a shirt or blanket with your scent on it in Winston's crate to help with the seperation.

Good luck!

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
But what did you do for the first couple months as a pup?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My husband and I arranged our work schedules so that one of us will be home every 2-3 hours to take the puppy out of the crate. I would go to work at 7, he would go to work at 9, I would come home for lunch at 11, he would come home for lunch at 1, then I would get home at 4. We tag teamed.

When I was single and I had a puppy, I arranged for my landlady's 12-year-old kid to help me with the dog and I paid him some money. I would go to work at 7, the kid goes to school at 8:30, I would come home for lunch at 11:00, the kid comes home at 3:00 and then I'm home by 4:00.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ok all good info. Guess I'm just wondering how long that process should go on for until I can leave them by themselves for close to a whole day?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Puppies can hold their bladder for 1 hour more than they are months old.... so, if puppy is 4 months old, they can hold the bladder for no more than 5 hours. When we were in the puppy stage, one of us always went home for lunch to do a quick potty break or find a neighbor/family member that can do it for you.

Some here have gated off a laundry room, bathroom or kitchen and used piddle pads.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
You guys have some great answers here. I guess I would rather stick to crate training because once they learn its ok to go to the bathroom inside, I'm afraid they learn its ok to do so. I want Winston to know outside is the spot for that.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
We did peepee pads for Bacon when he was a puppy inside of a day pen setup in doors and he is fine now. He understood that he should be doing his business outside when we were home but during the day it was fine to use the pads.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Ok all good info. Guess I'm just wondering how long that process should go on for until I can leave them by themselves for close to a whole day?

We did the 2-3 hour shifts until the puppy was 3 months old. Then we did every 4-5 hours until the puppy was 6 months old and he stayed in the crate for 7-8 hours. We never crated any longer than that.

Last edited:

HeyBulldog

Apr 4, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
We are going through this now with Murray... its not easy, but its doable...

We decided to crate train like a few here have mentioned, so starting from the first week we got him up till now and into the foreseeable future, at night and when we are not in the house, he is in the crate. For the most part, he dosent have any issue with this. Ive ALMOST gotten him to run to his crate when I yell 'its time for bed / time for work - wheres our kennel!?!' im sure the treats he gets when he gets there helps :)

So I took the first week off when we got him at 8 weeks. starting week 9 - now my wife and I try to arrange our schedules to leave him home for medium bursts of time throughout the day. I have the opportunity to come home during the day and heavily augment my schedule, she dosent (unfortunately). so for the first few weeks (weeks 9 - 12ish) either she or I would go to work early (between 430am (that was mostly me because Murray would get me up early and I could get in and get most of my work done without distraction) - 8am), the other would go to work around 10 - 11am. Then I would come home on lunch approximately 3 - 4 hours after the last person to leave, then I would come back 3 - 4 hours later and work the rest of the day from home.

All and all I tried to shoot for that sweet spot of between 3 - 4 hours alone at a time. I know thats rough for a 9 week old and some people would say that shouldn't be done... but it had to be what it was and Murray is just fine with it for the most part. as time goes on we are generally opening those windows.

In the beginning I was (and prepare to be) greeted by accidents and the cleanup required to take care of them. but Murray was pretty quick to learn to hold his bowels. he can now make it 6ish hours if he had to. he will still pee in the crate, and he has his pad there to soak it up - but thats understandable given the scenario.

Were still working with him - patience is key obviously. Ive thought about doggy day care - and to be honest I just might do that for the weeks I travel and my wife would be forced to leave him for an 8+ hour day - but for right now... its working as best as I can expect it to. I have a puppy cam and check in on him often during the work day - hes a sleeper most of the day so thats good... when I see him getting into mischief like shredding his pad, I know its time for me to head out! I even went as far as to record myself calling 'No! Murray, No!' 'Good Boy!', 'Sit!', and 'Lay Down!' that I can play for him over the house speakers. he generally knocks off his antics when I do that - but I think thats more due to confusion then obedience :lol:

Hope that helps!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have a Iris pen pen and I bought the 2 side add on's as well and I set that up with either puppy pads or a litter box when I leave and that way they have room to move but still have a potty. Also remember to only put solid toys in the pen like nylabone's ect because if it is fabric they will pee on it and you will have a hard time getting that smell off the toys.

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
I just got my puppy last week at 8 weeks . I am training him to use the pads for now because I can't take him out for walks until he completes his shots . I am going to leave him home tomorrow for first time by himself . I will have him gated off but his crate will be left open . I will leave food and water out for him until we get back home from work

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
We all have different schedules (I work at night and I live alone) but here is what I did that worked well for me. I started her on this routine at 11 weeks. I took off for one week and slowly left Pickle in her runner IMG_0202.jpg for short periods, I started just walking into the other room for about 5 mins. then I extended the time little by little throughout the week. I worked up to eight hours by the end of the week. I trained her to use a litter box in the runner but when I was home I had moved the box out closer to the back door so she would know to go to the door area if she had to go. This way I had a visual clue what she needed. She learned that the litter box was where she had to go, if she wanted a treat. Now, she has moved into the sunroom I still have a litterbox for days I cant get back before my 8 hour shift is up. Pickle perfers to go out back to relieve herself but knows to use the litter box if she has to.IMG_0294.jpg
It took time for her to learn but she does fine now. I usually leave her with the Beatles playin and she has a backup feeder on a timer just in case. I have friends who love to check in on Pickle when I'm working so that helps but she is fine on her own..... now.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My three were crated at 8 weeks (an xpen actually) for the first few months. I have to work and they did just fine. Since they were eating 3 times a day what I did was feed them in the morning, gave them some as soon as I got home and then a bit more later. I had to move mine pretty fast to 2 times a day in the feeding. They did great. There was many of days I had quite the mess to clean though when I got home. What I did since I used an xpen was make a bottom cover using that foam exercise mat squares and then bought a brown tarp at Home Depot and ducked taped it around and and stuck the xpen on that. It was wonderful and easy to clean the mess up and keep sanitized.

I used the peepee pads too on one side and then they had a bed on the other. Soon they got bored and tore up the peepee pads....talk about a mess. But eventually they get potty trained, lol.

Oh, Emma's 16 months now and she's just been giving a bit of freedom with Wilson. She's had 3 days out so far and has done great! I started gradually though with testing her by leaving her out when I ran an errand, etc.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
We had a crate within a baby gated play pen area, this allowed Moe to leave the crate to go potty on the paper if he needed to... this worked well. I also attached a camera that broadcasted over IP so that I could check on him... I also shared the IP, and several of his EBN Aunties here helped keep an eye on him when I was not home.

📰 Latest posts

Members online