Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When can a puppy stay home by itself?

Real Name
    Chas
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pickle
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: When can a puppy stay home by itself?

We all have different schedules (I work at night and I live alone) but here is what I did that worked well for me. I started her on this routine at 11 weeks. I took off for one week and slowly left Pickle in her runner -img_0202-jpg for short periods, I started just walking into the other room for about 5 mins. then I extended the time little by little throughout the week. I worked up to eight hours by the end of the week. I trained her to use a litter box in the runner but when I was home I had moved the box out closer to the back door so she would know to go to the door area if she had to go. This way I had a visual clue what she needed. She learned that the litter box was where she had to go, if she wanted a treat. Now, she has moved into the sunroom I still have a litterbox for days I cant get back before my 8 hour shift is up. Pickle perfers to go out back to relieve herself but knows to use the litter box if she has to.-img_0294-jpg
    It took time for her to learn but she does fine now. I usually leave her with the Beatles playin and she has a backup feeder on a timer just in case. I have friends who love to check in on Pickle when I'm working so that helps but she is fine on her own..... now.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

My three were crated at 8 weeks (an xpen actually) for the first few months. I have to work and they did just fine. Since they were eating 3 times a day what I did was feed them in the morning, gave them some as soon as I got home and then a bit more later. I had to move mine pretty fast to 2 times a day in the feeding. They did great. There was many of days I had quite the mess to clean though when I got home. What I did since I used an xpen was make a bottom cover using that foam exercise mat squares and then bought a brown tarp at Home Depot and ducked taped it around and and stuck the xpen on that. It was wonderful and easy to clean the mess up and keep sanitized.

I used the peepee pads too on one side and then they had a bed on the other. Soon they got bored and tore up the peepee pads....talk about a mess. But eventually they get potty trained, lol.

Oh, Emma's 16 months now and she's just been giving a bit of freedom with Wilson. She's had 3 days out so far and has done great! I started gradually though with testing her by leaving her out when I ran an errand, etc.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We had a crate within a baby gated play pen area, this allowed Moe to leave the crate to go potty on the paper if he needed to... this worked well. I also attached a camera that broadcasted over IP so that I could check on him... I also shared the IP, and several of his EBN Aunties here helped keep an eye on him when I was not home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads