Bad reaction to Comfortis

D

DaisyBulldog

I found a flea on Peanut, my Pekingese, yesterday while bathing all four dogs. It was the first one of the season. Peanut is HIGHLY allergic to flea bites, so everyone got a dose of Comfortis with supper last night. It was Daisy's first time having it, and she was sooooooo sick last night. :cry: She was throwing up until about 3 this morning, and then was shivering in her sleep. Today she is quiet, not puking any more though. I feel so bad. She is so very sensitive to meds.

Any ideas about other flea med options????? The Willamette Valley is infested with fleas that don't react to Frontline or Advantage anymore. :bitching: Trifexis has the same active ingredient for fleas as Comfortis. We need to keep fleas at bay due to Peanut's allergies, but something that won't make Daisy sick. Ugh.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know there are a couple natural remedies around. [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] know of one using Diametacious Earth..and I've read of one using garlic. I also know Bully's have died from Trifexis. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]...

We use Revolution..but I hate using it..so I only use a few months of the year. We had a cat have a horrible reaction to Advantage so I know how horrible you feel. Sucks trying to do the right thing and the. Getting sick...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My guys are only a year old, so we have only gone through one season with flea treatment. We use Revolution once a month from April to October during flea season, and they were okay on it. We have to visit the vet to get this years doses, as flea season is just starting here too.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We haven't seen any fleas on HRH ever, but we didn't want to use the poison stuff on her, just because of hearing of other's bad experiences with it. So we started using diatomaceous earth last year. She gets a dose with her breakfast every morning.

From everything we have read it has other good benefits giving minerals that help the joints as well. Just be sure you get FOOD GRADE as there are different types of DE.

Just do a google search and you can read up on it.

Also something to consider if you live in an infested area is to get a lot and spread it around any areas where the dogs are playing. It works to kill bugs if spread in an area by the DE getting under their shells and acting like a drying agent and it decimates them.
I've also heard of powdering the dogs with it and brushing through the coat. Just, like any powder, be careful not to breath the dust, and try to not have the dogs breath it either.

OP
D

DaisyBulldog

Very interesting [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION], thank you!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We don't have to use flea and tick meds where I live luckily. I'm going to tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], her Sarah is allergic to fleas so she may have an idea for you. Also, [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] might be able to help too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use Sentinel pills.... flea and heartworm pill

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I couldn't use any of that stuff on Abby. I sprayed her with lemon oil/juice every day. I never saw a flea. I still use it today on Otis and Roxy.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We don't use anything on Vegas and Orion either. Definitely wont use Interceptor or Trifexis. I've only ever seen 1 flea....and it happened to be right after a walk with Orion. I threw her in the tub and it gave her a good washing. We've been real lucky here.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
We just moved to IL from WA 6 months ago so this is our first summer in the heat and fleas with our bullies but we lived in South TX for several years and I opted to treat my entire property with flea treatment from the feed store as well as OTC flea treatments in order to stay away from the strong stuff. I had 2 older dogs, a Boston and a Pug and my Boston was severely allergic to fleas. In fact his previous owners, I rescued him from the shelter at age 13, let the fleas eat at his back side so that he never grew hair again. I will admit that I missed the onset of one season and he got fleas but as soon as I realized it I fixed it real quick but obviously his first owners never cared to help him:nope:

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I've not had to use any topical flea treatment on either my bullie or weim....been using bug off garlic as our flea preventative (also don't have to worry about vampires)...

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online