Do you think they know when they're "home"?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
As most of you know Bella Bear was our foster bully, and our first foster failure!!! :heart:

I believe she fills some of the hole that Maggie left behind in our hearts!!! :yes:

But, she's always been a feisty little madam. Very food aggressive and food orientated, and could be toy aggressive too. There were some times when we knew we could never adopt her because Bella, Daddy and Linus .. in any combination .. would just break out into fights. But it got a little better and we learnt to know the signs and when to distract and so we decided to adopt her. Her papers and adoption fee went in January 2013.

Since then she's been the perfect bully. NOW I will say that she still gets fed separately because I think she would steal the other dogs food not necessarily fight which is what she would have done in the past!!! But in places and situations when a squabble between her and the two bully boys would have been a sure thing .. there is nothing.

So my question is .... do rescues know when they are finally home to stay. Is that why Bella Bear has suddenly become more relaxed and content??? :D

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
Oh, there is no question that they know. We got little Amy as a re-home when she was 4 months old. Even though she loved us and loved being in our home, it was a full 4 months before she realized that she was staying with us permanently. We could see it in the new way she looked at us.

In your case, Bella probably "sensed" the change in your attitude when you decided to put the adoption papers in.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have to agree with [MENTION=3373]luseaann[/MENTION] she sensed the fact that she wasn't' going anywhere anymore

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Agree with the above as well. Dogs, especially our perceptive bulldogs, can sense our emotions and our emotions rub off on them. So, the fact that you are now Bella's pet guardian "officially", probably makes her feel so much more secure and safe.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I believe in my heart that they know their home. There's also a certain level peace inside you when you officially adopted her that I'm sure she can feel. That's what I want to believe. :heart:

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
No doubt dogs can sense when they are lovingly cared for. They have a fast and sure bond with the humans that really care for them. Dogs have a symbiotic relationship with humans that has existed for some 33,000 years and they can read a persons emotions and attitudes and vice versa for those humans who are close to dogs

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have experience with fostering, but I do believe dogs feel and sense when they they are with someone who cares and loves them, especially when they come from neglect, abuse or pain. They know when the person they are with cares and loves them, and they know the difference, and when they finally learn that the new people in their life won't abuse them and they finally learn to trust again, you will see the changes in them. Plus when people take the time to train and teach a dog with love and consistency, just like a child, it changes the attitude of the dog because they do want to please their owners and youngest a better pet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never really thought about it, but I believe it was said on the forum a few times -- 'the right dog will find you' since I like to believe that, I would say they totally know

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
One of my big regrets of the past is when the right dog found me but either I didn't notice or I didn't give it the companionship and affection that it deserved. I was younger and more naïve then and so don't beat myself up too much about it. But I'm seeking to make amends now

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I wonder that about Mabel. I think she realizes she is "home" and that she will never go anywhere else. However, when we go on vacation this June, she will be boarding at her bulldog vet's office. I know I can trust them to take care of any problems she may have and look out for her skin and other health issues. I am afraid she's going to think she's being abandoned again :*(. I so wish we could take her with us!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I wonder that about Mabel. I think she realizes she is "home" and that she will never go anywhere else. However, when we go on vacation this June, she will be boarding at her bulldog vet's office. I know I can trust them to take care of any problems she may have and look out for her skin and other health issues. I am afraid she's going to think she's being abandoned again :*(. I so wish we could take her with us!

Aawww .. but if Bella knew she was with us and then really WITH us to stay. Then I think that Mabel will also know that this is only temporary and although she may sulk and make you suffer when you get back, she will know that when you leave that it will only be for a short time. :yes:

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
I can't imagine what poor Norm thinks happened to him. I don't know how long he was at the bad house. He was with my friend for a week and has been with us a month and a half now. I KNOW he was someone's baby sometime. He's got too much good training and behavior. I hope he knows now that he's our baby and here to stay.

Members online

No members online now.