Neutering My Puppy..

italiankidd94

Apr 3, 2013
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
My English Bulldog Meatball is now 4 months old and he is already very hyper and already starting to do the dance on my leg if you know what i mean lol. I was told to wait until he was more close to a year old to have him neutered because they tend to change their personality as they get older. Is this true? How exactly do puppies act after they have been neutered? Do you think I should get Meatball neutered now or try and hold out and wait? Also I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to take your puppy for neutering that is relatively cheap? I live in West Islip which is on Long Island in the state of New York. Thanks for all the help!! You guys rock!!!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I had my male Bulldozer neutered at 7 months old, I've read it's recommended between 6 and 7 months of age. I also have his sister, they are litter mates, so I had to fix both of them before Blossom went into her 1st heat, as they are in the same house, and I would have had to separate them from each other. It's more important to have a female spayed at an early age, if you are not going to breed her, as the chances of cancer is higher for every heat they go into, especially breast cancer. I fixed her first, and then neutered Dozer a week later. I think it's okay to wait longer for a male, but again if you are not going to use him for Stud, then fixing him is better for his health. Neutering a male lessens the chance of cancers, can calm down the dog, and lessens the dangers of your male running off and getting lost or hit by a car due to chasing female dogs in heat. Some people like to wait until their male is closer to a year old, because they beleive the dogs' head and body will grow bigger before neutering. I don't know if this true or not, or if its just a myth, but maybe someone else on here can give you more I formation on this. I found Dozer changed for the better after he was neutered, he calmed down a lot, wasnt as hyper, he didn't hump us anymore, or his sister, and he became a lot easier to train, as he was more focused, and he also became this snuggley bear.

Last edited:

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
We were going to neuter Tubby at 4 months when we had him in for cherry eye. The vet told us if we did the Big Snip this early he may not grow to his full potential due to the family jewels being missing and the lack of testosterone. I was happy to have it done but Tubbys dad refused and now he has 2 big ones on display :stinkeye:lol

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunk was fixed at6 months old, and aside from being less humpy his attitude is unchanged, he's still energenic for a bulldog and has maintained his ::cough:: figure ;)

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Chunk was fixed at6 months old, and aside from being less humpy his attitude is unchanged, he's still energenic for a bulldog and has maintained his ::cough:: figure ;)

LOL! Same for my Samson, he was closer to 1.5 years. when we snipped the jewels..I will say he was quite 'vascular' in his nether regions and was miserable in his recovery but after that, he was still his same old self ...still energetic but humped less. :dance:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet recommends waiting till at least 18 months of age to let them grow and mature some. You just need to let him know that the humping is not accepted and just push him down and say "NO". He will learn.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
When you say neutering your puppy that's exactly what he is yet at 16 weeks. a very young male puppy. I don't know of any vet that would fix a dog before 6 months of age, it's just too soon to change the hormones.

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
We got Ike fixed at just over 6months old(just a few weeks ago). I really haven't noticed any bad effects of this. he is still playfull, energetic, and still our Ike. I have noticed that his humping has backed off from what it was :)

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Im hoping to be able to wait til December. As long as Colossus can stay hyper without being aggressive and humping anything, I might stretch it out farther. 04 28 13 Enjoying the sun.jpg

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have 2 un-neutered male dogs who doesn't hump. I have a female spayed dog who used to hump both male dogs. Humping is not necessarily tied to the presence/absence of testicles or a female in heat. Humping can be a pack heirarchy thing - "I'm the boss of you". Neutering may put a dog in a non-aggressive position or it may not. But proper training definitely will.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have 2 un-neutered male dogs who doesn't hump. I have a female spayed dog who used to hump both male dogs. Humping is not necessarily tied to the presence/absence of testicles or a female in heat. Humping can be a pack heirarchy thing - "I'm the boss of you". Neutering may put a dog in a non-aggressive position or it may not. But proper training definitely will.

I couldn't give you any more reputation...but you speak the words of wisdom, again.

GusBus

Apr 21, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
I actually want to neuter Gus as soon as he is old enough because I believe it makes him less of a target for thieves. My family bulldog when I was a little kid was an intact male and when he was stolen my parents believe that he was targeted for breeding. I actually already have had a couple of people ask if I would be selling semen and what the stud fee would be and I'm like, HELLL NAW that is my baby! My husband thinks I am a little nuts but I hid Gus in his crate in the back bedroom when Lowe's delivered us an appliance and whenever the lawn service is outside trimming hedges. I think I would be a nervous wreck walking a good looking bulldog around with a full set of balls on him. :no:

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.