porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366928378.783608.jpg
Woke up scratching Porkys chest like I usually do n I find this :( yes she has a tick I guess I need better flea n tick meds but I'm worried now any thoughts on if its a deer tick or wood tick????? I got it out but unfortunately the head snapped off sooo any ideas on how to get that out????? I'm at work so I can't do anything but dictate to the man what to do!!!!!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I've heard that you can douse the area in rubbing alcohol then pull it out with tweezers. Haven't ever had to try it myself though so I can't speak from experience.

Good luck though....I hate ticks!

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Dish soap and a paper towel usually works. Apply a heavy dab on the area and work side to side with the paper towel. The tick will back itself out.

Oops missed the part about the head being still in. Sorry.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! sorry, no clue how to get it out

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
looks like the wood tick. deer ticks are smaller and have a design on their backs. dig it out or wait until it turns into a pimple and then you can get it out too

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake has had two ticks..and I have seen them actually crawling in my house! :eek: I've pulled them out with tweezers..but if head is off..go to the vet! Nasty :cursing: things!

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! sorry, no clue how to get it out

Ummm u shoulda seen me 11 this am (lazy me lol I don't go to bed till 4) I touch it look at it screech n go running downstairs telling her to stay away from me lol poor thing is attached to her n I'm grossed out!!!!! N all night at work I've been running into the bathroom shaking out my scrubs just in case they give me the heeby jeebies :p

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
looks like the wood tick. deer ticks are smaller and have a design on their backs. dig it out or wait until it turns into a pimple and then you can get it out too

There isn't even a bump, hole nothing I wouldn't know where it was if it wasn't for the big oil stain in her fur (vet told me oil will drown n lubricate lol) I may shave the area though just to be safe :/ poor baby anytime she gets an owie I shave it lol

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=5186]porkysmamma[/MENTION]

I just went through this with Blue on Monday. His was an adult male deer tick that he picked up in Jersey this weekend, probably Sunday.

According to the NYS Department of Health, "The three most common ticks in New York State are the deer (black-legged) tick, the American dog tick and the lone star tick." http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2813/
Based on all the pics I was pouring over this Monday, yours looks like an engorged female Deer tick. And here a link to pics of various ticks. http://www.lymediseaseassociation.o...m_phocagallery&view=category&id=40&Itemid=425

I contacted my vet and she said to watch for the usual symptoms- lethargy, lameness.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There isn't even a bump, hole nothing I wouldn't know where it was if it wasn't for the big oil stain in her fur (vet told me oil will drown n lubricate lol) I may shave the area though just to be safe :/ poor baby anytime she gets an owie I shave it lol

that's a good idea to shave the site. I have heard of things to put on the tick , like Vaseline, nail polish remover, stuff so the tick can't breath. as for me, I get a bit anxious and just pull the darn thing out and watch for changes in the site.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Gross, have already taken 3 off of Otis - so small you can barely see - thankfully they were crawling on him and not embedded. We had a big thing on the local news this morning about Lyme disease. Maine is coated with the little bastards. It alos gives me the heebie geebies for hours after, I think everything is a darn tick.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@porkysmamma

I just went through this with Blue on Monday. His was an adult male deer tick that he picked up in Jersey this weekend, probably Sunday.

According to the NYS Department of Health, "The three most common ticks in New York State are the deer (black-legged) tick, the American dog tick and the lone star tick." http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2813/
Based on all the pics I was pouring over this Monday, yours looks like an engorged female Deer tick. And here a link to pics of various ticks. http://www.lymediseaseassociation.o...m_phocagallery&view=category&id=40&Itemid=425

I contacted my vet and she said to watch for the usual symptoms- lethargy, lameness.

WOW I bookmarked this . Great info! thanks so much

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
[MENTION=5186]porkysmamma[/MENTION]

Ahh thanks for that link :( the female deer tick is exactly what it was :(!!! I opted for her to get the lymes disease vaccine when she was 6 months so hopefully the darn thing works!!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
How to Remove a Tick from Your Pet
So, youā€™ve found a tick on your petā€”how do you deal with it? While itā€™s important to get these little suckers off quickly, ASPCA veterinarians advise that you stay calm and donā€™t rush it. Moving too fast when removing a tick could potentially create more problems, both for your pet and for you.
While the following instructions employ tweezers, be aware that there are some very good products on the market designed specifically for safe tick removal. If you live in a tick-heavy area or are taking your pets to a place where they are likely to get ticks, itā€™s a good idea to buy one of these tools and have it on hand. They generally work better than tweezers at getting out the whole tick, and are relatively inexpensive.
Step-by-Step Tick Removal Instructions
Step 1ā€”Prepare its Final Resting Place
Throwing a tick in the trash or flushing it down the toilet will not kill it, and itā€™s actually best to hold on to it for awhile for veterinary testing in case your pet falls ill from the bite. Be ready with somewhere to put the tick after youā€™ve removed itā€”the best option is a screw-top jar containing some rubbing alcohol.
Step 2ā€”Donā€™t Bare-Hand It
Put on latex or rubber gloves so youā€™ll never have direct contact with the tick or your petā€™s bite area. Ticks can carry infective agents that may enter your bloodstream through breaks in your skin or through mucous membranes (if you touch your eyes, nostrils or mouth).
Step 3ā€”Grab a Partner
You donā€™t want your pet squirming away before youā€™re finished, so if possible, have a helper on hand to distract, soothe or hold her still.
Step 4ā€”The Removal
Treat the bite area with rubbing alcohol and, using a pair of tweezers, grasp the tick as close to the animalā€™s skin as possible. Pull straight upwards with steady, even pressure. Place the tick in your jar.
Do not twist or jerk the tick! This may leave the mouth-parts embedded in your pet, or cause the tick to regurgitate infective fluids.
Do not squeeze or crush the body of the tick, because its fluids (saliva and gut contents) may contain infective organisms.
Step 5ā€”All that Remains
Sometimes, in spite of doing everything right, a tickā€™s mouth-parts will get left behind in your petā€™s skin. If the area doesn't appear red or inflamed, the best thing to do is to disinfect it and not to try to take the mouth-parts out. A warm compress to the area might help the body expel them, but do not go at it with tweezers.
Step 6ā€”Clean Up
Thoroughly disinfect the bite site and wash your hands with soap and water (even though you were wearing gloves). Sterilize your tweezers with alcohol or by carefully running them over a flame.
Step 7ā€”Keep Watch
Over the next few weeks, closely monitor the bite area for any signs of localized infection. If the area is already red and inflamed, or becomes so later, please bring your petā€”and your jarred tickā€”to your veterinarian for evaluation.

Print this PageSend to a friend

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online