Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

My poor baby I attempted to tweeze the head out tonight but its still in there pretty good she started whimpering n broke my heart if its not out in a few days we r going to the vet !!!! Her vet told me to relax n just watch it :/!!!!
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Real Name
    Maia
    Country
    Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ulysses
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help identify the pesky varmit :(

I hate them sooo much!!!! You gotta get one of those special tools to take ticks out (any pet-shop has them or at the vet's office). You grab, twist and then pull them out, that way the head and all comes out. OR like I do just go to the vet and they'll do it for you. Hate those things!!

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkysmamma View Post
    I got it out but unfortunately the head snapped off sooo any ideas on how to get that out????? I'm at work so I can't do anything but dictate to the man what to do!!!!!
    Oh Lordy!! This happened to me recently when giving Remi a bath. I found a totally gorged tick near his face and was completely mortified. Fortunately we were able to remove the whole tick. This seems to be a good article on how to remove the head with a sewing needle: http://www.ehow.com/how_5672480_remove-tick-heads.html

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

OMG OMG OMG OMG I'M GLAD WE DON'T HAVE TICKS...!!!

I am WAY creeped out by this thread....*shudder*

Real Name
    Dave
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Re: Help identify the pesky varmit :(

I wish I came across this earlier. It looks like you already got the tick out and are just concerned about the head still being in there. I don't think the head will be an issue at all.

I read all the other posts about alcohol, dish soap, tweezers, etc. Putting anything on the tick or traumatizing it in any way will cause them to spill their stomach contents, which contains the lyme spirochete, back into your dog. You need to avoid freaking the tick out and avoid squeezing it, at all. The tool that someone posted is perfect for quick removal and catching the tick by surprise. I've had good luck with a big pair of toenail clippers too. You just slide it down around the tick and squeeze the clippers closed just enough to be sure when you pull you get the whole tick but not so much you clip the tick. Then you give it a good straight yank. The main thing is, you want to keep that tick from spitting up in your pooch. Even a tick as engorged as the one pictured might not have released the disease yet. I found all this out the hard way. I squeezed a tick with tweezers after dousing him with alcohol and antibiotic ointment and my dog got Lyme's Disease.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads