Licking and scratching

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Ok, Ive been noticing Colossus licking (just about everything but himself) right after taking a drink of water. I drink water from the same place as him (kitchen faucet) and I dont taste anything but water. Anyone have experience with this?

Also on a hopefully unrelated note, when he wakes up in the morning (and occasionally in the afternoon) he will try to scratch his ear. He did this before I went to the vet, the vet looked in his ears and didnt see anything, Ive looked and dont see anything. Could this be allergies? Its only on the one side not both.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Im no help! If licking himself, I would think allergies..but that's not the case. You might try this for his ear. Get witch hazel..soak a cotton pad..squeeze out excess..wrap around your finger and reach down into his ear..keep repeating until pad is clean. You can really get in there too! You don't have to worry about excess moisture from the witch hazel, as it's a natural astringent and dries totally by itself. My dogs love this..and a great way to clean their ears.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby loves to lick legs, toes & the couch. I never really worried about it just sort of find it quirky. As for ears he does scratch them some times but I just thought he had an itch. Its never excessive.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Some dogs have an issue with plastic water bowls, maybe what you're cleaning the bowl with, or Colossus likes to lick. I don't know those are just my thoughts. Witch hazel is great. Another option is 1/3 water 1/3 alcohol 1/3 vinegar. Put a few drops in the ear canal and massage. Let the dog shake it's head. Clean out what you can with a cotton pad.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.