Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a english bulldog help

Bulldog(s) Names
    none
    Likes (Received)

Default Buying a english bulldog help

Hey, I dont know a whole lot about english bulldogs. I have been looking for a dog for a while and found this cute guy at a local pet store. I did some research but need some help. The lady told me that he is a rare chocolate color and comes from a pure breed with no health problems. I have been looking at a bunch of pictures and he doesn't look completely look like an English bulldog, I think he looks like he is mixed with something maybe an old english. What do you guys think? Also what would be an reasonable price for a puppy like this?

thanks for your help

Aaron

-img_3246-jpg-img_3245-jpg

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Buying a english bulldog help

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by amtat2 View Post
    Hey, I dont know a whole lot about english bulldogs.
    Well you have come to the right place to learn about them ! ! !

I have been looking for a dog for a while and found this cute guy at a local pet store.
    Well you did an EXCELLENT job of *NOT* buying on impulse, for that I congratulate you !

I did some research but need some help. The lady told me that he is a rare chocolate color and comes from a pure breed with no health problems.
    Her job is to SELL animals. ANYTHING listed as 'RARE' run, do not walk, AWAY, anything listed as Miniature, RUN ! do not walk, AWAY.
    There is no such thing in the breed standards for these colors or sizes. They are PURELY sales Gimmicks, for breeders who are not interested in the breed, but are interested in the $$$$$$$$$.

PLEASE research more, talk to us more, we will help answer any questions that you may have, but PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY PUPPIES FROM PET STORES aka PUPPY MILLS ! ! !

Also what would be an reasonable price for a puppy like this?
    what may be reasonable, or a 'deal' today, in the long run will run you alot more than you probably want to spend or can afford to spend. RUN FROM THIS situation.

thanks for your help

Aaron
    Your Welcome

p.s. if you TRUELY want a Deal, look into fostering from a Bulldog Rescue -- their price is always right... FREE ! (and maybe you will become a Foster Failure which is a GOOD thing!) or adopting from a rescue (some fees may be incurred)
    Last edited by RaRett; 04-24-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RaRett View Post
    Well you have come to the right place to learn about them ! ! !

Well you did an EXCELLENT job of *NOT* buying on impulse, for that I congratulate you !

Her job is to SELL animals. ANYTHING listed as 'RARE' run, do not walk, AWAY, anything listed as Miniature, RUN ! do not walk, AWAY.
    There is no such thing in the breed standards for these colors or sizes. They are PURELY sales Gimmicks, for breeders who are not interested in the breed, but are interested in the $$$$$$$$$.

PLEASE research more, talk to us more, we will help answer any questions that you may have, but PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY PUPPIES FROM PET STORES aka PUPPY MILLS ! ! !

what may be reasonable, or a 'deal' today, in the long run will run you alot more than you probably want to spend or can afford to spend. RUN FROM THIS situation.

Your Welcome

p.s. if you TRUELY want a Deal, look into fostering from a Bulldog Rescue -- their price is always right... FREE ! (and maybe you will become a Foster Failure which is a GOOD thing!) or adopting from a rescue (some fees may be incurred)

What he said!!!!!!!!!!!! And to EBN. There are a number or articles here on EBN to help in your search. Please take your time. There are so many scams out there it pays to be well armed with as much information about the breed as you can find before laying your hard earned money down.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hey there and welcome! Please read the puppy buying tips, I hope it helps you find your new family member!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Doggie Boutique Owner christyjulene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christy
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbey
    Likes (Received)

There are so many English Bulldogs out there that are homeless and would make wonderful pets. Sounds like you care about what you are getting or you would have already gotten one.

"According to statistics compiled by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 25 percent of dogs who enter shelters are purebred." Those are just the ones in shelters there are English Bulldog Rescues all over the United States.

Thanks for asking questions
    Abbey is looking for a forever home

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Welcome, and please heed the advice you have been given here, you won't regret it. I know the temptation is there, at a pet store to see the cute little dog and to desire to take the pup home and love it and raise it right and that is understandable. But if you want a bulldog, and a dog that your not going to get scammed on, then you have come to the right place. So listen to these folks they only have yours and the dog's best interest at heart

Bulldog(s) Names
    none
    Likes (Received)

Ya I have been looking into adoption for a while, I have a young child and other animals, alot of the dogs that are up for adoption are very old or not good with other animals. I would like to adopt but at the same time I want to make sure I get the right animal.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

@amtat Sounds like fostering is a great way for you to start! The rescue I've worked with matches you up to a pooch (I.e. one that is good with kids, other pets if you have them), you can then see how it works with your family dynamic. Just because its a puppy doesn't mean it will be good with children, yes they will grow up together but isn't necessarily the best option. My most recent foster was the sweetest, most wonderful dog ever. She just was happy to be with us, including my 1 yr old son. She was never startled by his falling, or throwing things, etc. The nice thing is that if it doesn't work out and he/she is not the right fit, you did a wonderful thing for the doggie and your family!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

First
    Second: You've been given lots of great advice already, so I'm not going to do any more preaching. I just hope you keep asking questions and looking until you find the right family member for your family.
    Third: That puppy at the pet store really does not look like a pure bred English Bulldog to me.

Looks like some olde english in this bloodline. The muzzle is too pronounced to be a pure english.....my opinion of course!!!!

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I would say that pup is mixed doesn't look pure English to me. I would try to find a local breeder if you want a puppy and never buy from a pet store they come from puppy mills and aren't as heathly as if you found a local breeder. Also when looking for a puppy always make sure you see the parents and you are able to go to the breeders house and see their kennels. That way you can be sure your puppy got the best start but also you can make sure what the parents look like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads