Just a little update

SammyP

Aug 16, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Max
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been on here. I just wanted to give a little update since my last post. We're doing great! I bought one of those pet dremels to do Gus's nails and it's no longer a wrestling match to get his nails trimmed haha. It's so much faster and he sits like a good boy until Iā€™m done. Makes me so happy! I am no longer scared of him biting me. I started taking him on 2 walks a day, morning and after dinner, for 20 to 30 minutes and itā€™s really helped with him acting out. Weā€™re getting ready for my hubby to come back from his deployment next month. Itā€™s been a long 9 months! Iā€™m also going to be making an appointment to get Gus neutered, hopefully in the next week or so.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thrilled to hear all your good news and Gus is so cute! That looks to be a bit
of stink eye he's giving the camera in your avatar...but adorable stink eye!

Thank you to your husband for his dedication & service to our country and to
you for your sacrifices supporting him. GOD be blessing all of you!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been on here. I just wanted to give a little update since my last post. We're doing great! I bought one of those pet dremels to do Gus's nails and it's no longer a wrestling match to get his nails trimmed haha. It's so much faster and he sits like a good boy until Iā€™m done. Makes me so happy! I am no longer scared of him biting me. I started taking him on 2 walks a day, morning and after dinner, for 20 to 30 minutes and itā€™s really helped with him acting out. Weā€™re getting ready for my hubby to come back from his deployment next month. Itā€™s been a long 9 months! Iā€™m also going to be making an appointment to get Gus neutered, hopefully in the next week or so.

Just so happy that things are going so well for you both!!! I think that you'll find his temperament a little calmer too when you get him neutered. Just don't forget that once you have him neutered that the hormones can stay in the body for about 30 days. So you may not see an immediate calming down!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great update..... congrats on the progress. Thank your husband for his service to our country!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
You can dremmel his nails no problem!? You lucky goose! Great to hear the good news. And yay for your hubby coming back!

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
[MENTION=5725]SammyP[/MENTION] - how long did it take Gus to get used to the Dremel? I bought one and fired it up with Colossus and he FREAKED. I threw it on the floor so that he could sniff it and get used to it. I need to start trimming his nails and would really prefer to do it myself than paying a groomer.

OP
SammyP

SammyP

Aug 16, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Max
Thanks everyone!
Thrilled to hear all your good news and Gus is so cute! That looks to be a bit of stink eye he's giving the camera in your avatar...but adorable stink eye!
Yep! Heā€™s had the stink eye down since he was a puppy! It always makes me laugh. I call him grumpy goose every time he does it haha

Just so happy that things are going so well for you both!!! I think that you'll find his temperament a little calmer too when you get him neutered. Just don't forget that once you have him neutered that the hormones can stay in the body for about 30 days. So you may not see an immediate calming down!!
Thanks for the info! I did not know that. Iā€™ve never gotten a dog neutered before so Iā€™m nervous but I know I canā€™t show it or Gus will be nervous too!

how long did it take Gus to get used to the Dremel? I bought one and fired it up with Colossus and he FREAKED. I threw it on the floor so that he could sniff it and get used to it. I need to start trimming his nails and would really prefer to do it myself than paying a groomer.
It took a few months. But Iā€™m glad I kept with it! At first I would just turn it on so he would get used to the sound and let him sniff at it. A few days later I started to touch the end of it (where the battery is) onto his paws so he could get used to the vibrating while also giving him treats. Then after doing that for a few days I started by only doing one nail, he did not like it at first. Then after a couple weeks I started to do one paw always giving treats after a nail was done. A couple days later I moved on to doing the rest of his paws. Now it's a breeze!

Last edited:

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Thank you and your husband for your service to our country. I can only guess how hard it must be for both of you.

Congrats on the Dremmel, I have never had luck getting a dog comfortable with one.

I am glad that you are getting the neutering done it makes for a longer, happier, life for you and your Bully. Take Care.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
It sounds like Gus is doing great! Your husband is going to be so proud of what you've accomplished with him when he gets home! Please post photos of the homecoming. We all want to be able to thank him for his service. Mabel is the first dog I have ever had that really doesn't mind the Dremel. She lies on her back with her paws in the air and lets me do all four! I never thought it could be that easy!

OP
SammyP

SammyP

Aug 16, 2012
Oceanside, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus and Max
It sounds like Gus is doing great! Your husband is going to be so proud of what you've accomplished with him when he gets home! Please post photos of the homecoming. We all want to be able to thank him for his service. Mabel is the first dog I have ever had that really doesn't mind the Dremel. She lies on her back with her paws in the air and lets me do all four! I never thought it could be that easy!

Hes going to be coming home to a whole new Gus! haha And i will post some pictures, i'm going to try to make a welcome home shirt for Gus to wear.
I never thought doing his nails could ever be that easy either! i'm so glad i tried it and stuck to it.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online