Did Banjo have a seizure?

Banjo7

Mar 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Banjo
Good morning everyone. We had a long night last night. We were all in bed, my husband, Banjo and myself (Banjo sleeps between us) and he wakes us up by kicking really hard and fast with his back legs. His eyes were open and he was biting at something in the air. At first I thought he was dreaming, but he kept going and finally calmed down. You could tell that he was frightened so we soothed him and let him know that he was ok. My husband immediately referenced it as a seizure, but I have watched dogs and babysat epileptic kids and this did not look like a seizure to me. His body was not shaking, he did not urinate or foam at the mouth. Banjo is 15 months old and very healthy.

Can anyone help? I'm worried sick!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm sorry to hear this! It's a possibility so let me ask [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] to help. If anyone knows, she will. Take a deep breath. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lisa tagged Cheryl, so I have no more to add, but prayers and positive thoughts. Cheryl has lots of insight with seizures as her Vegas has epilepcy. She be on shortly and will hopefully have some insight for you.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It does sound like a seizure to me. This is what happens sometimes with Vegas. Vegas has idiopathic epilepsy....and usually suffers from grand mal seizures..........yup, during the night. Usually he is sleeping! Usually his whole body is tense and shaking, foam coming from his mouth. Usually he does not lose bowel control. Not all his seizures are grand mal, he has several petit mal also. These are a lot less intense. Some facial twitching, space staring.....pacing and confusion. No foam and he doesn't lose consciousness. There are so many different facets to epilepsy.

It just sounds so close to what he experiences, but I understand it's different from what you know. Vegas hardly ever fly snaps....but that is one of the most common things with epilepsy.

Here is a video I managed to get of a petit mal. Sorry you can't actually see his face....usually the seizures aren't this kind to him. Once on his side...he usually tries to roll onto his back. I try and hold him up because he has aspirated on the foam and then came down with pneumonia. Did his legs move this this? Please ignore my puppy talk.

OP
B

Banjo7

Mar 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Banjo
Thanks everyone. I was hoping this wasn't. A co-worker told me that it could have been him having a dream. He did not foam at the mouth at all.
His feet did move like that [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]. Thanks so much for the insight. He has his annual check up this week, so we'll talk to the vet then I supposed. I hate this :(

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
So sorry. I don't know anything about these but what I have learned here in this forum. If it was a seizure, I hope everything will be manageable and will all work out ok. I don't know if these are always chronic or if there is in some cases only one occurrence. Keep us posted

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Oh I am so sorry
You need to take him to the vets to run tests.

I have had experience with my baileys who passed away over a year ago.
So I know what your going through xxxxx

Jj

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thanks everyone. I was hoping this wasn't. A co-worker told me that it could have been him having a dream. He did not foam at the mouth at all.
His feet did move like that @Libra926. Thanks so much for the insight. He has his annual check up this week, so we'll talk to the vet then I supposed. I hate this :(

If it does happen again between now and when you go and see the vet try and get it on video. That way you've got something to show the vet!!

OP
B

Banjo7

Mar 1, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Banjo
Quick update---My husband took Banjo to the vet today and they ran some tests on him and took blood to get worked up. George (DH) said that he was in great spirits today and loved everyone at the vet, per usual. Vet said to keep an eye on him, but it could have been just an isolated incident. I will keep everyone posted. Thank you SOOOOO much for your kind words and help. It made me feel so much better to have the bully lover support!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Quick update---My husband took Banjo to the vet today and they ran some tests on him and took blood to get worked up. George (DH) said that he was in great spirits today and loved everyone at the vet, per usual. Vet said to keep an eye on him, but it could have been just an isolated incident. I will keep everyone posted. Thank you SOOOOO much for your kind words and help. It made me feel so much better to have the bully lover support!!!

Great to hear.... know we are all here to help and support! Continued prayers and positive thoughts for Banjo and you

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.