cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Seems like even at the start of Tate and Finn's walks, they start panting. I almost always make sure to walk them either very early in the a.m. or in the early evening when it's cooled down. It's been quite sunny here though so even tho it's cool, I'm thinking the sunshine is causing them to overheat faster than normal. It worries me b/c I wonder if I'm walking them too fast as I tend to be a fast walker, and we also do little running sprints mixed in with the walks.

The other day when we went on a hike, it was 9am and that was late for us and the temp was in the upper 70's. There was a lot of uphill mixed w/flat surfaces and the two of 'em had their tongues hanging out but kept going like the little troopers they are. I had water with me and we would take breaks here and there but I do worry that maybe I'm working them too hard? I certainly don't want to harm them and fear heat stroke, especially b/c they're bulldogs and I know they cannot take a lot of strenuous exercise. Just wanted to know other's thoughts and experiences during your walks in regards to pace, length of time, and rest stops.

:walk:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would bring a small spritz bottle with and lemon juice just in case. My kids love going to the vet they get soooo excited that they are panting before we even pull out of the driveway, yet they can go on walks no problem. I think when they pant quickly like that part of it has to do with excitement. I also bring with a washcloth in cool water in a Baggie that I can put on their tummy on the way there. Yet I never have to being these on a walk but we only do about 20 minutes tops.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio has been really panting a lot lately too. I take them on a walk off leash through a woods in my town where they will always see other dogs. During the winter I can walk with them for an hour or more and they are fine, but now that it's in the 50s and 60s here both Gio and Diva start to really pant after only 10 or 15 minutes! I think it's a mix of the warmer weather coming and the excitement of seeing other dogs, but it bums me out because I know once summer comes walks will be either limited to later in the evening or not at all! I might start bringing a spray bottle like Lisa said and fill it with cold water for our walks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Each bully is very different and you will need to base the walk and time on them.. Nitschke was always short, slow walks regardless of tempature. Banks can go on short jogs and very long walks in cool weather, when it is warm or hot we just do short walks. Cheli is similar to Nitschke, but he REALLY gets excited to go for walks and ends up panting before we are even off our front steps

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I thought maybe it was because they needed to get "acclimated" to summertime weather again? Glad to know I'm not the only one with this concern.

I get home from work about 1:30 - 2pm and I drop my bag and pick up the leashes and off we go. I'm concerned that this summer, we won't have our afternoon walks. :nope: Bo has far more stamina than Bea - always has - but Bea seems to get winded too quickly. It's time for their yearly check ups anyway, so when I get back from visiting my daughter in May, we'll go in for a full physical - just to be sure. Bo is only two and Bea is three. Young dogs.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Lisa has a point--Mabel also pants when she's overly excited--or tries to. She has trouble when she meets a lot of new people. Before she had her surgery she couldn't get air when she tried to pant and had to keep throwing her head back to open her airway. :eek: Now she can breathe with her mouth open, but hasn't quite figured out panting. We are trying to improve her endurance a little every day and are making slow progress. ​I am curious to see how she does this summer.​

Last edited:
OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yep, they do get excited when we start our walks, especially when we try a new trail or neighborhood. This a.m. we did 30minutes at the Rose Bowl and the weather was perfect--low 60's, and not yet too sunny. They did pretty well and only started showing signs of feeling tired and panting as we were ending the walk. The idea of a spray bottle of water w/lemon juice is a good one.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I agree, I was going to say that Matilda will sometimes pant for absolutely no reason other than that she's a dog and she's excited. Just take the precautions that you are, and make sure that you pay attention to their energy level. I'm also in Socal, and often let Til play off-leash with other dogs outside. I usually use her dehydration level (gooey saliva) as a sign that it's time to go in. Normally, she isn't very drooly unless she is dehydrated. She'll also get tired and stop running fairly quickly, but like you, I try to only let her play outside AFTER the hottest part of the day.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
My dogs don't last too long with anything beyond 75. Even my super athletic Angus. Even with just laying around in the house. My house used to be set at 80 degrees all year long... until the English Bulldogs came to the house...

Most Reactions