This is why we should neuter our dogs if we don't plan to breed...

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I had to work late last night so I woke up at 8:00AM. The dogs were not in their beds so I figured the kids took them out before they went to school (7AM) and they're in the house somewhere. I walk out of my bedroom and see the front door. WIDE. OPEN.

Bullie and Angus were laying down on the threshold watching people pass by. Gizmo - the bichon - was gone. So, I was on the way to the car to look for my missing dog when I notice a voice message on my phone. Somebody called that they have Gizmo. He was at someone's house a mile away... in a house with an intact female shitzu. The owner of the house did not know that my dog is intact as well so both dogs have been playing together. We were just very lucky that the female is not in heat.

The only reason Gizmo is intact is because we believe that we can guarantee 100% that Gizmo will not produce unwanted puppies. Well, we were wrong. Gizmo - who has extreme separation anxiety that he would never have thought to go outside the door without me - decided he is going to leave me and his best friend Angus and go roaming. Completely out of character for him. But then, somebody left the door wide open giving Gizmo the option to go out of character.

Grrrrrrr.........

I'm not sure yet if my husband will go with neutering. He's thinking hard about it.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I'm 1000% in support of spaying and neutering. Sorry but there are way too many unwanted babies out there. Unless the breeder knows what they are doing, has health checks on both Mom & Dad, knows the pedigree, and again, really knows what they are doing, then I say spay & neuter.

I'm so so so happy Gizmo is ok and that Bullie & Angus were just hanging out at the front door *and* that some crazy person didn't just wonder into your house.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow.... Very scary morning for you! Glad all is OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Anatess..:eek: I am happy all were ok. I never hesitate to spay and neuter. The world has enough unwanted critters as far as I am concerned. I don't get why there is hesitation.

instead of :eek: I meant :bang:

:ROFL:

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Anatess..:eek: I am happy all were ok. I never hesitate to spay and neuter. The world has enough unwanted critters as far as I am concerned. I don't get why there is hesitation.

instead of :eek: I meant :bang:

:ROFL:

You know how we think removing a bully's nose rope is unnecessary pain and suffering? That's how my husband thinks of neutering... Yes, the vet has explained to him that it is not HIS nuts that are going to be removed... lol.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Oh GOSH, thank goodness someone had him!! I would KILL whoever left that door open!

But I do agree... less "I am wild beast" hormones, less problems.

So glad the babies are okay!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know how we think removing a bully's nose rope is unnecessary pain and suffering? That's how my husband thinks of neutering... Yes, the vet has explained to him that it is not HIS nuts that are going to be removed... lol.

:hmm: I am thinking he needs tutoring....:laugh:

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Is it more invasive to have then snip (sorry guys) them like they do humans? It seems the other way around .... ????

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Glad everyone is at home and safe tonight. After you lose a dog to testicular cancer, neutering is no longer a question.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
This is a very confusing time for me with Gizmo. Very very confusing.

I've been enjoying a separation anxiety free dog for a few weeks (I have a thread open somewhere here about how Angus is helping Gizmo with his separation anxiety). Then yesterday happened where he decided to roam the neighborhood. And today he is back to his psychotic self. I left the house for one hour this morning - something that Gizmo handled with his crate open when we got Bullie even before Angus started being his companion. I came home to the aftermath of a psychotic incident - Gizmo shaking like a leaf, pee stains all over the doorways of the room, ripped bedding (he digs and digs and digs his bedding when he gets psychotic) and Angus hiding in his crate (he didn't even come out when I walked in). Bullie is just like always - sleeping. I guess Angus got scared of Gizmo's actions.

Dunno what to make of this. I guess its back to the crate for now. Hopefully Angus can work his magic again soon!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Your husband's belief system is from another time....like the 19th Century!

DNA and biological imperative are hard task masters. The "best" male dog in the world will go find a female in heat. They cannot help it and to expect anything else is folly.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Your husband's belief system is from another time....like the 19th Century!

DNA and biological imperative are hard task masters. The "best" male dog in the world will go find a female in heat. They cannot help it and to expect anything else is folly.

My husband and I do not believe that an intact dog will not find a female in heat. That's silly. That's not why we don't neuter. We don't neuter because we believe that we can guarantee 100% that our dogs will not ever be given the opportunity to mount a female dog in heat.... until yesterday. When the door got left mysteriously Wide Open. Yes, nobody has fessed up yet on who did that...

By the way, just so it's clear. Having an intact dog roaming the neighborhood is not just a neutering issue. Any dog roaming the neighborhood in Florida where the water is right there behind the house points to numerous problems - dog eaten by a gator, dog bitten by a cottonmouth, dog drowning, dog getting hit by a car, dog getting stolen, dog biting someone, dog killing somebody else's pet, dog getting killed by somebody else's pet, dog sent to a kill shelter in some remote town... and so on and so forth.

Hence, even if our dogs are altered (which Bullie is), we would still require that 100% guarantee that our dog will never be given the opportunity to roam freely or have un-supervised/un-vetted time with somebody else's dog.

Last edited:

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack

REMOVE nose rope? Who? Why? Ouchie! Wtf!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i used to didnt think much about spaying or neutering but after what i went through with sarah last year and almost losing her to pyometra which is a life threatening uterine infection i think it should be done if you dont plan on breeding. males can get cancer if its not done to them. husbands are optional :yes:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.