Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Awww Thanks so much for asking! Buster developed Cherry Eye last Friday. It developed literally overnight and I took him to the vet. . The vet tried to pop it back which works sometimes. I got some antibiotics and anti bacterial medicines to prevent any infection from developing and hoped it might go back on it own ( but it rarely does) - by Sunday it was even worse. ( lucky my vet clinic is open 7 days a week until midnight- so no extra fee for off hours) It looked so awful.

Monday morning 7:30 am he went in for emergency surgery. They stitched his 3rd membrane to the ligament on the orbital bone. It is the most conservative treatment. If it works we won't have to remove the membrane which I hope is the case. The poor little mutt looks so sorrowful with his swollen eye and his "cone of shame". He is so little he scoops up the snow when he tries to walk and crashes into the steps with the tip of his cone as he tries to get up the deck stairs. Oh and did I mention that I had to drive through a blizzard Monday morning to get him to surgery? We just got another 10-15 cm of snow Monday. Apparently the coldest March and now April in the last 100 years or so since they started keeping records. I think the universe is conspiring to get Kim and I out of Winnipeg. I was so stressed my back was aching. Never felt that before and I don't much like feeling this way. I think I was so worried about Buster that I forgot to breathe :( The vet said the surgery went well and it looks like it might be OK. Of course when it happens in one eye it usually also happens in the other eye a. Hoping for the best.

He looks good except for swelling. Peeing and pooping and eating up a storm. Hardest part is trying to keep him from torturing Miss Tallulah and playing tug with her. Doing a lot of quiet crate time with a banana stuffed kong.

Buster eye 2.JPGphotoBuster eye 1.jpg

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Wow, you've certainly been through the ringer, huh? His eye looks great! We got Mona at 1 1/2 years old and she'd already had her cherry eye fixed before we got her. I hope your back is feeling better. I guess instead of saying "when it rains it pours" for your situation it should be "when it snows it pours" - good vibes and prayers being sent your way! Buster has stolen our hearts!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah.... even with the cherry eye.... he is so sweet! Hoping and praying for a quick recovery, for you and Buster.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Awww poor Buster!! Oh not the cone of shame! Be careful of your shins. When Tubby had to wear his after his cherry eye surgery my shins were all bruised up from him running into me with it lol

You should definitely leave Winnipeg sun is shining and its 16 in Toronto

I wish Buster a speedy recovery and same to you [MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION] I think the surgeries take more out of us then the dogs

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Poor little guy! I wish I had a vet like yours that was open so much. I'm so glad he's doing better. I love your description of the cone of shame plowing the snow. It's got to be frustrating for him!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Poor Pup :(
Hoping for a speedy recovery, and a very short stint in that cone!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Thank you all so much or your kind words. :angelheart:I am going to try and see how Buster does tonight without the cone. If he doesn't start pawing at his eye then he will be cone free. And my teeny weenie baby bully snowplow can go back to sniffing everything. The most important thing right now is to avoid infection.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Buster we did not even know that you were sick. Glad to hear that surgery went well and that you are back at home. Feel better soon and bury that cone deep in the back yard.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sharon, so sorry for such a stressful 2 weeks for all of you and praying the
surgery takes and the other eye doesn't pop out.
:pray:

Cami went to the Vet, Weds and got a CBS & Thyroid, etc ran, we get results
tomorrow AM. She just stopped eating, got very lethargic & seemed depressed
after 2 weeks of normal & eating well. I got all paranoid that silent Pyrometra
was starting up, she came here finishing a heat at 5 y/o (she'll be spayed in 2
months).

Oh, when we got home...there was the cooleroo you bid on, won the action and
told EBN to ship to me. Really Sharon...I bawled, you truly touched me with such
love, kindness & generousity...Cami got right on it as my son finished assembling
it...she LOVES it!

And, I love you, Sherry, EBN and everyone here, my slice of Heaven!

Thank you and may GOD shower you & yours with blessings of His own!
:angelheart:

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Alright now, I'm already teary eyed from the news in Texas, but now I've got happy tears over such a wonderful gift. That is AMAZING! What a beautiful, heartfelt thing to do for someone else. Wow. I'm just amazed at the love this board has for each other.

I hope Cami will be better, real soon.

Sharon, you are an angel among us. God bless you!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh wow I completely missed this one. I'm glad to hear thought that's he's back to his torturous ways with Miss Tallulah.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh my had mo idea this was going on. Hugs to you and I'm glad your baby is better n hopefully won't need it in the other eye

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad he's on the mend! He's so sweet, the look of the cherry eye does not even bother me but its amazing to see them all fixed. Sounds like it was a bad case so great job mommie on getting him all better! He's too sweet!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.