when you board your dogs

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Viking girl gave me the idea to post this.

When you board your dogs you might want to find out about their food policies.
When we boarded our boxer for the 1 and only time, we took her to a highly recommended boarding house. Never thought to ask them about food.

When we went to pick her up and brought her home, she had a diarrhea accident that made a mess everywhere.

I called the kennel and asked about her food. They said well, she ran out of food so we gave her something different. YOU DID WHAT?????
Apparently when the dogs don't eat their food the 2 times a day they are given it they throw it out. We didn't know this! Because they threw the food out she ran out of food and they gave her something completely different, probably "crap in a bag". They never called us to let us know she was out of food, either. We certainly would've had a friend make the short drive over there to drop off more food.

We fed her Canidae at the time.

Maybe everyone else knows this or would've thought to ask this but we did not. We hopefully will never have to board a dog of ours again but if we do, we'll make sure to ask about the food procedures.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This was the first time we had to board our dogs, and we left a 30 lb bag of Fromms Beef Frittata, only because we had bought the day before we dropped them off, and it was in the back of the car, so we left the whole bag. That bag would last them a month lol, and they were only there for a week, so they wouldn't have run out. I am actually more concerned that they didn't watch Dozer as closely with the toys in the play room because he has swallowed some pieces of a pinkish/ orange rubber toy, he has passed two pieces so far, and I'm hoping its all passed now. I'm continuing to watch him, but he seems okay, he's eating and drinking fine, and has energy, so praying he's okay.

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Yes, I totally 100% understand your concern was about what came out of Dozer's south end, not the food. Its just that your story reminded me about the food issue we had. Although by boxer wasn't there for a week, only a few days, we gave them way more than enough food to last her during that time, until we found out they threw it out if she didn't eat it.

I hope Dozer is better.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We are planning on boarding Mabel at her bulldog vet's office when we go to Colorado in June. I ALWAYS take my own food. When I take food, maybe it's the obsessive/compulsive nature of my behavior, :tongue: but I bag individual zip lock bags of servings for my dogs. That way I know they have enough food for the entire time I'm going to be gone (I always put in a couple of extra bags in case we get delayed). I then put them in a large bag clearly labeled with their names. We feed such high-end, concentrated nutrients in our food, if we allowed someone to feed what they think is the right amount of our food, our dogs would be as big as houses when we return! :eek:

OP
bluesteelapd

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Well, i don't think its obsessive on your part, just making sure communication is CLEARLY labeled. We took enough food to feed her for a week and she was only there a few days, but I don't know how much they gave her at each sitting. Them not calling us was what got in my crawl! They should know that boxers, if not all dogs, need to be, here's a crazy word, gradually transitioned to another food. Not just here's a good food one day, and the next here's "crap in a bag".

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is why we do not board our bullies, you can not trust those people. If we can not take them with us we us a pet sitter that comes to our home and let's them out several times a day. This way they are safe and sound at home. Just make sure if you do use a pet sitter, which I highly recommend, check their references.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I just boarded Vegas at a pet spa last weekend, I had measured food of his own with the measuring cup in his personal items. Exact amounts. The spa did a great job, no complaints, but it will be the very last time I ever do it. I was so worried when we dropped him off that I had problems all day enjoying our get-a-way. When we go again for our weekend getaways for now on I will have my friend come to my home and take care of Vegas. Way too much stress on me.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] I think that is a great idea to bag each days food. I hate trusting someone else with my babies health.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are planning on boarding Mabel at her bulldog vet's office when we go to Colorado in June. I ALWAYS take my own food. When I take food, maybe it's the obsessive/compulsive nature of my behavior, :tongue: but I bag individual zip lock bags of servings for my dogs. That way I know they have enough food for the entire time I'm going to be gone (I always put in a couple of extra bags in case we get delayed). I then put them in a large bag clearly labeled with their names. We feed such high-end, concentrated nutrients in our food, if we allowed someone to feed what they think is the right amount of our food, our dogs would be as big as houses when we return! :eek:

I use to work at a dog daycare/overnight place.... we LOVED this type of clint! made feeding time so much easier!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.