Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Well, I wondered how long it would take - Punk has gotten wise to me hiding her benedryl in a piece of cheese. My little mixed breed - Missy - got wise about 3 weeks ago. So, I now - - shove it to the back of the throat. . . . with both of them. I figure if I could shove pills down a 140+# Akita - then a bully would be no problem . . . . . :p

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Vanilla Ice Cream.... NEVER fails! I use a small spoon full of Lactose Free Vanilla Ice Cream

jennis2613

Jan 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba,Mimi, Arie, Stella and Chloe
We use a finger full of peanut butter and just push the pills in it....they all love it!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I think we used to crush them when Stiggy needed them. I remember when we used to hide them in yogurt. After a couple of days, he would be able to spit up the pill after he licks everything off! It was the funniest thing!

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I know with humans some meds shouldn't be crushed, I don't know if that also goes for dogs, too. I'd look into it before you crush it.

Peanut Butter! This stuff is a miracle. I put a glob on my finger, hide the heart worm pill in it and put the whole thing in her mouth. She's too busy moving her tongue around to even know it's there. Works like a charm!

And yeah, I'd say your an expert if you can get a pill down an Akita's throat. I'm sure though, that's its a bit unpleasent for you. I had to do that with my boxer because she didn't care what it was hidden in but it always made me kinda icky cause then that start coughing and gagging...:nope:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All good advice above, peanut butter works for us too, I've also used the pill at the back of the throat method, which works as well, my two never bite my hands when giving treats, or if they have something in their mouth that they shouldn't, I can place my hand in their mouths and take away anything from them, they let me take things away from them, and out of their mouths. They will pretty much eat anything so eating a pill is never a problem. Lol. We use Revolution for flea and tick season, but it is in liquid form, and is administered by placing a drop in between the shoulder blades once a months, so no pills.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I know with humans some meds shouldn't be crushed, I don't know if that also goes for dogs, too. I'd look into it before you crush it.

Peanut Butter! This stuff is a miracle. I put a glob on my finger, hide the heart worm pill in it and put the whole thing in her mouth. She's too busy moving her tongue around to even know it's there. Works like a charm!

And yeah, I'd say your an expert if you can get a pill down an Akita's throat. I'm sure though, that's its a bit unpleasent for you. I had to do that with my boxer because she didn't care what it was hidden in but it always made me kinda icky cause then that start coughing and gagging...:nope:

Good point! It's been a while since he's needed them, but I think we did ask the vet first if it's ok to crush them, and he said it was ok. Same with his antibiotics. But, pls everyone, ask before you crush anything! :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Good advice! :clap2: We're fortunate in that Mabel doesn't even chew her cheese. She's never known there was anything in it!

Same here!!! Nothing touches the sides in this house!!!

OP
Annie1991

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I had a lot of practice with two akitas, so no gagging here. . . but, yes it is gooey in there :excited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.