My $1600 pack of gum..

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Lisa, if this is in the wrong place , feel free to move it :yes:

I'm mostly a lurker over here these day's but I remember most of the oldtimers :smoochwink:

I have two precocious bulldogs Annabella (Belly) and Bob. Saturday I was taking a shower and I left both dogs in the kitchen thinking they would just play. It was too quiet when I got out and then I heard it...a loud crack. I ran down the steps to find both dogs in their crates, Belly chewing on my safety glasses and Bob had... my package of sugar free Ice Breakers gum. He had somehow gotten my purse down and they pillaged.I immediately freaked and hubby couldn't understand why. "It's just gum, it won't hurt him" I knew that sugar free gum sometimes has an ingredient poisonous to dogs. I called the ER vet and they immediately had me call poison control. I was asked what gum and told that I needed to know how many pieces he had eaten because just 2 could kill a dog of Bob's size.I had no way of knowing how many he got because I had the container for some time. We were told to make him swallow 3 TBS. hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting and give 2 slices of bread and then run him around the yard. He never vomited so we rushed him to the emergency vet.

The vet gave him a shot to induce vomiting, but they couldn't see anything. His blood was drawn and found to have very low blood sugar which is a sign of xylitol poisoning. After 2 days in the ICU he was given the all clear to come home but we have to give him some kero syrup every 6 hours for a few days .

I know most of you know about how toxic xylitol is, but I wanted to share in case some did not know and learn from my stupidity. There are more products than you know that have xylitol. Most items marked sugar free or diabetic contain it ..jams and jellies, tooth paste, baked goods! I posted this info on my FB fan page and am overwhelmed by all the shares and people saying they had no idea about xylitol.

I love both of my babies to death and have since removed anything sugar free from the house. Hubby has been known to let them lick out a pudding cup.. :rolleyes:

This is Bob on Sunday when I visited with him in the afternoon

bob1_zps1bc15d2b.jpg

This is my boy when we brought him home Sunday night :)

bobby2_zps41ba3909.jpg

This is both my trouble makers

002-4_zps4ebcbe26.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy:

How frightening! That xylitol is nasty stuff. He is very very lucky that you were so observant and knew to act. This is great info for all of us and I'm so happy he is ok. I'm sorry that :cursing: pack of gum was so $$$$.... But the real treasure is ok..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow I did not know this! Thank you for posting this info! So glad he's okay!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION], that is scary! I'm so glad that Bob is okay now :whew: I have heard that xylitol is toxic to dogs but didn't know the extent. Thanku for sharing your story so that many of us will know not to have that stuff laying around for our bullies to get them.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] I didn't know myself how many it would take to harm them...all sugar free gum is different...some they have to eat a lot of to get sick...Raspberry Sorbet Ice Breakers ..only 2 for a 54 lb. dog (Bobs weight)

Thanks guys! I'm so glad he's ok too and I would mortgage my house to save either dog. We'll just be eating peanut butter for awhile ;)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
This is your baby! I've been following him on Facebook. I'm so glad that she's going to be ok. I've read about xylitol being highly toxic to dogs. So so scary.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Wow, I had no idea either. Thanks for sharing this important information. Glad Bob is going to be ok now too!

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] yep, my Bob...he's gone viral it seems! He has close to 1000 shares and almost 70,000 people have seen it. I'm so glad the word is getting out and maybe save some dog owners some heartache .

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Small world then. Please excuse my son's comment (Jason Premo) on your wall. He thought it was Wilson at first and that Wilson had lost weight. :ashamed: Getting the word out bring awareness to many who have no idea how dangerous that chemical is to our furry friends. I know I shared it and it was shared on my end a few times more. Word gets out.

Bootsieboo

Jan 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Boots
So glad to hear Bob is ok. My daughter is 4.5 and loves chewing gum there is packs and pieces all over the house. I had no idea how dangerous this was. In face today I picked 2 sticks off a small step stool she had been playing on up. Thanks for the information. Tomorrow I will be gathering up all her gum and putting it up along with telling her about Bob and how careful we need to be. Or bulldog Boots eats anything insight.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So glad you saw what happened and thought to react. So glad Bob is doing well. Thanks for sharing your story and letting other people know about this poison.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That is so scary so glad everything turned out good in the end. I had no idea of that so glad you posted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.