Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
IMG_3926.jpg

I've been wanting to get a slow feed bowl for the longest time. The boys take oh, about 15 seconds to gobble down their food and I'm just plain tired of it. So, went to Petsmart today and bought two bowls. I heard a lot of good things about the Martha Stewart slow feed bowl and they had 1 left in "medium", so I snagged that one (the light colored one in pic). I also got a Kong bowl in "large" (only size they had), so got one of those too.

This evening's dinner was the test of the bowls. Finn eats a tad less than Tate so he got the MS bowl, though I think it's more like a smaller-medium than a medium-medium. Anyways, the food fit just fine in it. He was a little suspicious of the new dish at first but he quickly overcame whatever apprehension he had. Tate's Kong is pretty large and roomy and there was plenty of room for his meal. They started eating at 5:43pm and finished their meal at 5:46pm. 3 minutes!! They were not totally done however b/c with these slow feed bowls, there's still food still stuck around the curves and nooks, so they took about another minute trying to retrieve all the bits and pieces they could. I think Tate thought it was a big Kong toy b/c at one point he picked up the bowl and ran into the living room. I quickly put a stop to that seeing the trail of rice he was leaving. Argh! In total, I think it was close to 5 whole minutes for their meal time. That's huge compared to the 15 seconds it normally takes, so I'll take it!

These bowls are not stainless steel so may not be the best option for everybully.

Anyone else use these kind of bowls and have been happy with the results?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We use the ball..great that it is helping! :)

I asked about that too but they didn't carry one. I put one of their toys in Tate's bowl once but that got messy with Tate running around with the toy all smeared with food. But yea, the bowl seems a good method so far.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I asked about that too but they didn't carry one. I put one of their toys in Tate's bowl once but that got messy with Tate running around with the toy all smeared with food. But yea, the bowl seems a good method so far.

:ROFL: Jake would eat the toy too! Ours is a heavy porcelain ball..I love it and he can't pick it up..food doesn't stick..rolls too easily..hard and slippery! Lol! Plus it is so easy to store ànd run thru dishwasher!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to have to look for that, Becky. I like the idea of using their regular bowls and just dropping a ball in there.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
A bullmastiff breeder suggested large smooth river rocks in their bowls because these weren't available then. That way you can still use stainless steel.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We have slow feeder bowls for Linus and Daddy and it DEFINITELY slows them down!! But yes they are plastic. Luckily neither of them have an issue with plastic so that doesn't really bother me!!

I'm now looking for one for Bella who inhales her food. But I want a hot pink one. Hubby just rolls his eyes. No idea why??!! :whistle:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Update on the slow feed bowl w/my two hungry boys: I really like the Martha Stewart one b/c it seems to slow them down much better than the Kong bowl. Maybe b/c the Kong is too big and the food sort of just lays there, I don't know...but the MS bowl is definitely a challenge for them to get all the food. I tried it this a.m. on Tate and he took >5min to eat his food! hurray!!

Karen, if i see a hot pink one at the store I will let u know. I think MS has one in a "soft pink" but unfortunately, it's not a slow feed kind.

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Those bowls are cool. We used the stainless steel ball for our mastiff, who used to inhale her food and I swear it taught her to slow down. The ball allowed us to continue using the stainless bowl because she is sensitive to plastics. Our bully likes to chew every bite and naturally paces himself while eating. No ball needed with him.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just another update on using the slow feed bowls. I've discovered these bowls are not a good fit for Tate and Finn. After meal time I'd notice drops of blood on the bowls. Seems they're digging their faces so hard into the bowls that it was causing abrasions on their already sensitive chins. The plastic material I'm sure doesn't help either. So, I switched them to regular stainless steel bowls and got one of those stainless balls; the store i went to only had 1 left and it's been about a week that i've tested it on both of them. Definitely slows them down but the slow feed bowl slowed them down more. Still, I'd rather have them eat a little faster than harm their skin. I've ordered a porcelein ball which arrives this week so hopefully that will work as well as the stainless one.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I actually purchased the stainless steel slow feed balls from Amazon. Worked really well because I put two balls into her food bowl. After a couple months of using them I no longer have to. Raven takes her time eating now, no more choking when she eats.​

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.