Picking up your bully

Roses

Jan 14, 2013
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Hi guys!

i couldn't find this topic by using the search function so figured I would start a new thread!

how do you guys pick up your bulldogs? Rosie is nearly 35lbs now and when I pick her up by reaching under her I feel like I'm crushing her insides and she makes a heavy groaning sound!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sorry... Banks is 61 lbs no lifting to be had by me

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HRH is only 41... both arms under her... like a forklift :laugh:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
support the butt with one arm and the other arm behind the front legs :2thumbs:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea is 45 lbs and I must lift her into the back of the crossover (hatch). She cannot even jump up on the couch. She also groans like it's arduous for her -- but I am supporting her butt with my knee (yes a one legged lift for the human) so I know she's not in pain or anything.

When she was a puppy, I used to use a technique called "passive restraint". This required putting her on my lap, with her back up flat against my chest. Oh my did she used to groan about that. She came to enjoy it. Bea was a very strong personality --- even from a teeny pup --- and passive restraint was an excellent tool in my leadership tool box.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
One arm around his chest, and one supporting his tush... and lift with the knees! 51 lbs of soild wiggly muscle, but if i'm carrying him around I'll move him to my hip like a toddler, andhe'll rest his head on my shoulder ♡♥♡♥♡

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
This is a great thread!
If I have to fully pick her up, as to load her into the Jeep or Mariner, I scoop her up under her arm pits and lift her up with her back to my chest (she weighs 47 pounds but I'm a big girl and can handle her weight)
If she needs help getting on the couch, I put my arm behind her neck and hoist her up that way....I never thought to get others opinions on if this is a safe way to help her onto the couch. My ex, who knew a lot more about dogs than I did, said that was the way their mom's teach them in the wild.....kinda hard to explain but that's how I lift her.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
We put one hand through the front legs, so that Koozer's chest is resting on the forearm. The other arm goes under his bum/back of thighs. Koozer weighs 54 lbs and this is a really comfortable and easy way to lift him. To lift Koozer into the car, he is able to jump in by himself (we have a car not an SUV), but he wears a harness, so we just grab the back of the harness as he jumps and kind of lift him in. That way, he just "floats" onto the back floorboard without any jostling to his joints or our backs. Then he can climb on the seat by himself. Hope that helped.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
Tonka is over 60 lbs. if its into the truck, he reaches as high as he can and i lift the butt portion lol. And out of the truck he comes to the door and turns sideways and one arm around his bum and one around his chest. The truck is really high so that works great. I always get him to reach as high as he can first and then lift his bum up for him lol. He is quite helpful.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, the best way to pick them up with out hurting them is one hand from the front between their front legs and cradle their chest, then the other hand from the rear and cradle their bottom. Don't forget to lift with your legs and keep your back as straight as you can.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Big boy Ruggles can jump in the back of the Rav no problem, and he can jump in the back of the Land Crusier, but I don't want him to--he could hurt himself. So in the Land Crusier I lift his front paws on to the back, then hoist his rump into the suv!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I lift his front paws on to the back, then hoist his rump into the suv!
This is how we lift Liz since she is big and heavy. For Amy I will try the one arm supporting the chest and the other behind the rump. Right now, we've been lifting under her arms, but she arches her back so all four legs are splayed out at odd angles. Her eyes bug out and she snorts like we are killing her! It's to be avoided at all costs!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online