Flying with bully next to you (NOT ON CARGO)

athomewithkyle

Mar 25, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber
Hi I have a 10 month english bully named Amber and I have gotten a doctors note for her to fly on the plane with me as an emotional support animal. She has flown with me 3 times now. The first time she flew is when I bought her in San Diego (was only 9 lbs then and didn't need a note for her to fly) and flew back home to Phoenix with her. Her next trip was from Phoenix to NY and then back, as that's where my family lives. So far she has done very well on all her flights. She did get a little sick and threw up a very small amount of bile when we were getting of the plane after it landed in NY.

However, I was recently talking to another bully owner and they said they would never risk flying with their bully, even if it were sitting on their lap.

So my question is, how safe is it to fly with an english bulldog it it'ssitting right by your feet or on your lap?

Here's a picture of Amber after the groomer the other day :)

photo-27.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG she is precious.... love her color and that tippy tongue!! so sweet!

I have never flown a bully, but I know many airlines refuse to fly Brachycephalic breeds (flat face or short muzzle).
[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION] recently flew his bully

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm glad to hear your doctor has enough common sense to write you the note so your baby can fly next to you. That's the only way I would fly my bully's or any other animal. Good for you :2thumbs:

I know it's not safe for any pet to fly in the cargo belly of a plane in case of pressure dropping

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think in cabin is fine, they may get a little woozy from the altitude but the cabin is pressurized and comfortable.

However, If your dog is not used to large crowds and such it would be a little risky only because they could overheat from being stressed.

Last but not least omg she is precious!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I have never flown a dog, but here they have to go in cargo and I wouldn't do that, You would think if it safe for us it is for them but I am no expert of course. She is a real cutie.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say it is perfectly safe because she is in the cabin with you. I think the exceptions are when they are flying as cargo in the hold. And I agree with what everybody else has said that she is totally adorable!!! :luv:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have two friends of mine who fly with their bullies in the cabin with them all the time and they have never had any problems. Tim and Prince (the bully) even got moved up to first class once, because Prince is just such a cutie.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think it would be fine! In fact she may get a lot of attention!

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
Most airlines won't check as baggage or cargo dogs with snub noses. The only loophole is the emotional support animal letter. It's how I got Norman home to GA from UT. He did just fine. And I was nervous because I had just gotten him and he was a rescue so i have no info on him so I really had no idea how he was going to do. But I was gonna go down trying. Everyone said how good he was. Even the flight attendants!

OP
A

athomewithkyle

Mar 25, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber
Thank you all for the replies.... i'll feel a lot more comfortable next time me and Amber board the plane! I do a quite a bit of traveling, so it was important for me to make sure I'm causing no harm to my little girl. But like I said she has done great on the planes so far, and everyone loves her. Though I felt bad for the passenger next to me, as Amber was very gassy haha.
[MENTION=7749]ChrisRN[/MENTION] I'm not too sure how much she likes it, as I just drop her off and pick her up. But the groomer always say's she does a great job. And she smells soooooo good and really soft afterwards. I highly suggest it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.