How long do I wait to take my 8 week old puppy outside for walks

BarbaraDavis

Apr 7, 2013
Corona, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
none of my own
Congratulations on your new puppy! Many vets will tell you not to take your puppy out on walks until he's had all his vaccinations, but the veterinary behaviorists have disagreed with that advice for a very long time. The VBs know that a healthy puppy with one set of shots can begin taking leash walks around the neighborhood (not dog parks or places where lots of other dogs hang out), and that's a great way to start their socialization and orientation program. Also, when you begin to start leash training at this early age, the pup will get oriented to it better and quicker than if you wait until he's older. A recent study by a group of veterinarians shows that young pups with at least one set of shots who attend puppy classes do not contract diseases at any greater rate than those puppies who stay home until they're older!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Two weeks after your puppy has completed all of his shots. It is so important that your precious baby is fully immunized before exploring the great outdoors! My 3 and a half month old Buster has his final series of shots Monday, so for us it is 2 weeks after that!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
If you have a closed in small area /yard that no wild animals or other dogs use then clean it with disinfectant and then you can carry him outside pop him down to do his buisness then carry back inside with limited floor time. Wash off his paws with a wetwipe and make sure when hes on the floor he doesnt lick or eat anything.
He cannot go out for walks or be left down on the floor until 2weeks after his LAST vaccines.

Many may disagree because there is still a risk of PARVO without shots BUT on the same note you need to get to work on him knowing where he should pee & poop - im a firm believer of it not being right allowing a pup to pee/poop inside then a few weeks later teaching them its wrong to do so. And i HATE HATE HATE 'puppy training pads' ... Just a personal opinion that is though lol. Xx

OP
bigrod48

bigrod48

Jan 7, 2013
NEW YORK
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
What sets of shots is he going to need to start off ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
What sets of shots is he going to need to start off ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Sorry i cant help with this one as UK have different shots to US. Hopefully somebody will be along soon to help you. Il try see if i can tag people lol im not promising anything though

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If you have a back yard and it is closed off from other animals, you can take Him out there know. But for taking him anywhere else with out people's pets, I would wait until he is 5 months old.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.