How did I miss this?????

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has been pretty bad with his allergies the last couple of weeks, I noticed little tiny spots on his back legs and started giving him Benadryl twice a day, thinking it was environmental since everything is in full bloom here in FL. He squats like a girl to pee so I was thinking grass allergy. Anyway...he started scooting his bottom all over the area rug earlier this week so I knew it was anal gland time again.
I made an appt. at the vets but I had an appt. somewhere else so for the first time EVER, I had Joe take him in. Simple right???

NO....While the vet was doing Vegas's anal glands (that really were not that full) he noticed the spots on Vegas's legs. He did a scrape and Vegas has a STAFF infection!!! :eek:, not only on his back legs but in his tail pocket!!! I am so embarrassed that I did not pick up on this. A simple $17 dollar anal gland visit turned into a $110 vet visit with scrape and antibiotics.

Our vet cleaned out Vegas's tail pocket and Joe said all kinds of "gunk" came out, I just cleaned it on Wed. night. :ashamed:

Joe ask the vet how Vegas would have gotten Staff and the vet told him "all dogs carry this certain type of staff, and it takes things like allergies to stir it up" On the other hand the vet did tell Joe how great Vegas looked and had NO yeast. I have to bathe him 3x a week with Pharmaseb shampoo and keep him on this antibiotic for 2 weeks 2x a day. What I have learned?!??.....I need to quit blaming everything on his allergies and when I see spots on him to have them checked out. This could have really gotten out of hand.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I just found an owie on Yuna and wondering how I didn't see it ... but in my defense its by her girlie bits, guess I'm late in my bully inspection :detective: time gets away from us sometimes, as do these little bumps! And the sores grow so fast too. We're going to have a blood panel done on her Monday.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
We can't beat ourselves up over things like this when they happen. As much as we know, or think we know, at the end of the day we are not doctors. We are all just doing the best that we can. You thought it was anal glands and got him to the doctor as quick as you could to ease his discomfort. You did the right thing

the vet told him "all dogs carry this certain type of staff, and it takes things like allergies to stir it up"

so it really WAS allergies!! You were right! :)

On the other hand the vet did tell Joe how great Vegas looked and had NO yeast.

and ↑↑ that ↑↑ is the important thing :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well don't beat yourself up Kelly, it happens, and the main thing is he got to the vet in time.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Kelly, there's is no better bully Mom (or Dad) here, you did what we all
would have done and probably took him in even earlier than most of us.

Kisses & hugs, GOD be blessing you & yours, always!
:hug::lubu: :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Kelly -- as everyone has said, do not beat yourself up -- staph spots are not always visible and can easily hide under a thick coat. regardless of how it was found... it was and he is being treated.

YEAH --- to no yeast, I wish i could get there with Banks

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Kelly, I am the worst at just thinking everything is fine. Hubby is more the over paranoid type whereas if they throw up maybe I should take the to the vet. I am the opposite, (more realistic) which I think can get me in trouble too. Same way with my kids cuz I was raised this way. More the brush it off and get of it attitude. I am always anxious that I am not doing enough since I am aware of this in myself. What timing tho for you to be able to catch it so quickly. Hugs to Vegas!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Kelly we all miss things, and it doesn't make us bad mumas just human. Vegas has a very good mummy and everything will be fine now.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh kelly i could tell ya bout missing some things and i only have one bully. did u see miss sarahs huge giant hot spot last year. :ashamed: you caught it in time and thats the important thing and honestly kelly i know you would have seen it very soon as i know how diligent you are with him and his care so no worries it happens to the best most experienced of us. you are a good mama :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So your crystal ball was a little cloudy? I don't think you missed anything, quite the opposite, he had symptoms and you took him to see the vet. So he didn't have what you thought, but you're no vet. So I think that makes you very good mom!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.