skinny phase?

NewAccount2013

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
LeRoy
Hi, I have a 4month old English bulldog. I am a first time proud bully owner : ) When we got him about a month ago, he was chubby and wrinkly and looked a lot like a bulldog. Over the course of the month, he has gained some weight but his appearance totally changed. He no longer looks chubby and wrinkly. He is now skinny and long legged looking. Still adorable but less bulldog-like.
Has your puppy gone through a similar phase? Will he grow out of it? We are beginning to suspect that he may be mixed. I am tempted to feed him more to help him fill out a it but he is already eating the recommended amount and I wouldn’t want to endanger his health in any way.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We generally say, a bully grows UP the first year and OUT the second. During the third year is when they really get that stocky bully look.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I never had a bulldog puppy but my male we adopted when he was about a year and half and he was tall and skinny. He has filled out since then but he is still on the taller side. My older female bulldog is opposite of my male, she's short, wide, and round. They all look very different and it's hard to tell at just 4 months, but they do usually get taller first then fill out later. I wouldn't feed more than recommended, you don't want your puppy to be overweight. Especially because it's so easy for bulldogs to gain weight and they already have enough breathing problems without the added on weight. I would love to see pictures of LeRoy, we love pictures here!! :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
They do go through a lanky stage. Also some bullies have longer legs than others. My Abby was chunky but she also had longer legs than some.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They do go through the lanky stage in their first year, and then fill out in their second year. That being said, they should not be too skinny, as in being able to see or easily feel their ribs. If you can then you need to feed him more. A pup that age should be fed 3 times a day and depending on the food you are feeding, about a cup to 1 1/4 cup each time. You can always judge the amount by their poop. If it is hard, feed a little more, if it is soft feed a little less. Once they are 6 months old you can feed 2 times a day and about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cup each time. Once the reach 1 year of age you can reduce the amount a little, so they will not become over weight. Judge that by their waist line and you should be able to feel ribs with some firm pressure.

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I've noticed that with Tubby. He'll be super chunky one week then skinnier but his body is growing ie getting longer or he gets taller, then his chunkyness comes back.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Heck! My son used to do the same thing! ;) David gave some good guidelines to help you understand if your little guy is too thin. :smileywelcome: We're glad you're here!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh yah, Emma. She was long and lanky is is now starting to fill out. They really start changes after a year old up to 2 years old. YOu'll be quite surprised when you go back to your pictures and compare.

:welcome: to EBN too. Interesting screen name, lol.

OP
NewAccount2013

NewAccount2013

Apr 5, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
LeRoy
Thanks for your help everyone! My baby has had regular vet visits (to get all his shots and get checked out) so I think he is ok and I'll keep monitoring him to make sure he is gaining weight as he is growing and eating well.

And I'll also keep working on improving my profile :yes:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
:yes: NORMAL....

:hmm:

I think you need a new username! Newaccount2013???? Bully needs to be in there somewhere! :tease:

that's funny,, I thought the user name was "Newaccountant2013", thinking you'd just become a CPA! ugh, that's what i get for sending off my taxes today.

Henry

Feb 10, 2013
NH/MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
Hi and welcome to EBN. Our boy is 4 months and in that lanky stage too! He was so compact when we first got him, but now he's a tall, long and lean chewing machine. I would love to see more pictures of your boy :) Your profile pic is adorable. We had that same toy but he killed it already, LOL!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.