Senate bill makes colorado dogs safer

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
Senate Bill 13-226 passed today 5-0.

In order to prevent or reduce the number of dogs shot by officers of municipal police departments and sheriffs' offices (collectively, "local law enforcement officers"), the bill requires local law enforcement agencies to:
Develop training programs to prepare local law enforcement officers for encounters with dogs in the line of duty, which training must emphasize how to recognize
common dog behaviors and how to employ nonlethal methods to control or respond to dogs; and Adopt policies and procedures setting forth the appropriate ways to handle dog encounters, including policies and procedures that allow dog owners to remove or control their dogs whenever circumstances warrant. The bill creates a dog protection task force to set minimum standards for qualified animal behavior experts or licensed veterinarians who provide the required training to local law enforcement officers, to develop minimum training curricula to be used by local law enforcement agencies, and to develop web- or video-based training that may be used by local law enforcement agencies.

Hopefully this will set a precedent for other states!

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cl...FEE8F10787257AFD005A97C8?Open&file=226_01.pdf

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Saw that last night on the news, pretty awesome of our state. :up: I haven't read it yet but the pitty that got shot a few months back by the officer was so sad. We've have a quite a few trigger happy officers here, especially when it comes to pitties. Thanks for posting this!

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
This is great news! So many are frightened unnecessarily by bully breeds. Some of the sweetest dogs I have known were pitties--"America's Nanny Dogs."

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online