Getting in the Car

RachaelJ

Mar 31, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
So I'm the type of dog owner that usually will take my dog with me if at all possible. I have a small SUV and was wondering if my future EBD will have trouble getting in the car by itself or would I have to get a ramp or give her a little boost. I did a search online and even on this site but nothing really gave me the answer. What has everyone's experience been with car rides for their pups?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
It will depend on the dog. A young spry, athletic bully will probably jump right in. HRH on the other hand at 6.5 yrs., I pick up and place in our Jeep Grand Cherokee. But,,, she is only 40 pounds.. I dont know what we would do if we had a 70 pounder!.

FORDE'SMOM

Jun 17, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Forde
Forde weighs in at 70 lbs, I have a small suv ( ford edge) and without my help he couldn't get in.......I did purchase a small ramp which I am very dissatisfied with...it's so steep and Forde will have no part of it.............so we are back to me lifting him ( with his help) into the back :) getting him out worries me due to although my suv is one of the smaller ones when he jumps out I am terrified he is going to hurt himself, so I have started helping him get out also..lol

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have a car and always lift my 60 pound boy in and out of the vehicle. He doesn't even try to jump in on his own because we have always lifted him lol and I am too nervous about him getting hurt if he jumps out.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I have a small SUV also and always lift my boys in and out. Remy will at least put his front legs on the floor to be lifted and if he's in the back cargo area, he will occasionally try to jump out but I lift them in and out because I don't want them to put that much pressure on their joints.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
I have a Jeep Liberty and a Mercury Marineer. I pick Momo up and place her in both vehicles and I also pick her up to take her out. I'd never let her jump either way. She weighs 47 pounds but I don't mind.
egghunt3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble is currently around 47 pounds and we have to lift him into the back seat of the car. He will put his paws on the floor boards to at least help us but we have to lift him. I have been asking my husband the same question since I am usually the one taking Rumble everywhere in the car and I do not know how much longer I will be able to lift him. I would just be worried about injuries with them jumping in and out so I am going to try and lift him as long as possible.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It depends on the Bully.... Nitschke LOVED the car and would get himself right in our Explorer no problem.... Banks HATES the car and will not even get herself into our Odyssey. We tried the ramp, but both refused to use it... ended up giving it to a local rescue

Gemma

Mar 28, 2013
Southport, UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Archie
Archie climbs into the passenger side footwell of any car but this is a routine he has followed/learned since a pup. If your concerned it maybe too high is there a curb you can park parallel to and then put a treat into the car to encourage Emma in. We all know bulldogs have issues with unusual objects but If she's going into the boot then obviously a ramp or lifting will have to be used but I must say I would struggle to lift Archie into the boot, it's not just the weight it's the awkward shape of them to lift! I find it easier to lift my malamute/husky than my bulldog!

good luck

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Mabel climbs in my small SUV but has to be lifted out. She has to be lifted into Bill's larger SUV. Thank goodness she's only 45 pounds!

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Lucy is 41 pounds (at 10 months) and I lift her in and out of our Ford Flex. I don't want her to jump out. I think she may be on the small side? My husband bought her a ramp. We worked with her going up the ramp and she wanted no part of it. If she gets over 50 lbs I won't be able to lift her and my husband is in a wheelchair, so he can't lift her. I really hope she learns to use the ramp. Our last girl (a boxer) could jump into the car easily, but boxers are a tad more athletic. I just don't want Lucy to hurt herself; plus, she has an odd back issue. I just don't want to push my luck!

Attachments

• Lucy3.jpg
    Lucy3.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I have a Santa Fe and I lift the Diva in...she jumps out on her own but it is too high for her. I have a ramp as well but it is cumbersome and a pain to use so it sits in storage.

Diva usually puts her front paws on the door jam and I lift her from under her belly and she 'walks' in with her front paws. Never had a problem with it.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Lucy is 41 pounds (at 10 months) and I lift her in and out of our Ford Flex. I don't want her to jump out. I think she may be on the small side? My husband bought her a ramp. We worked with her going up the ramp and she wanted no part of it. If she gets over 50 lbs I won't be able to lift her and my husband is in a wheelchair, so he can't lift her. I really hope she learns to use the ramp. Our last girl (a boxer) could jump into the car easily, but boxers are a tad more athletic. I just don't want Lucy to hurt herself; plus, she has an odd back issue. I just don't want to push my luck!
Miss Lucy is so cute! I hope she learns to use the ramp. We haven't had much success with ramps.

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
Thanks, Chris. We've only had Miss Lucy for two weeks and she is pure joy! Lucy was purchased from a great breeder who stipulates in the contract that a dog is to be returned to the breeder, not sold or given away. Lucy's first home was separated by divorce and she was returned. We lost our Boxer to cancer last year. I've always loved bulldogs; my son has an Olde English Bulldogge. Plus, while we also love Boxers, they're a tad hyper for this stage of my life :) Mabel is adorable. I'd like to add another EB in time. As for the ramp; if she doesn't get the hang of it this week I'll probably return it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.