Real Name
    Alix
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Getting in the Car

I have a Santa Fe and I lift the Diva in...she jumps out on her own but it is too high for her. I have a ramp as well but it is cumbersome and a pain to use so it sits in storage.

Diva usually puts her front paws on the door jam and I lift her from under her belly and she 'walks' in with her front paws. Never had a problem with it.

RIP Samson el Torito and Petunia Belle
    May 20, 2000 - June 06, 2008 and November 16, 2004 - April 10, 2015

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shobbsie View Post
    Lucy is 41 pounds (at 10 months) and I lift her in and out of our Ford Flex. I don't want her to jump out. I think she may be on the small side? My husband bought her a ramp. We worked with her going up the ramp and she wanted no part of it. If she gets over 50 lbs I won't be able to lift her and my husband is in a wheelchair, so he can't lift her. I really hope she learns to use the ramp. Our last girl (a boxer) could jump into the car easily, but boxers are a tad more athletic. I just don't want Lucy to hurt herself; plus, she has an odd back issue. I just don't want to push my luck!
    Miss Lucy is so cute! I hope she learns to use the ramp. We haven't had much success with ramps.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Two
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, Chris. We've only had Miss Lucy for two weeks and she is pure joy! Lucy was purchased from a great breeder who stipulates in the contract that a dog is to be returned to the breeder, not sold or given away. Lucy's first home was separated by divorce and she was returned. We lost our Boxer to cancer last year. I've always loved bulldogs; my son has an Olde English Bulldogge. Plus, while we also love Boxers, they're a tad hyper for this stage of my life Mabel is adorable. I'd like to add another EB in time. As for the ramp; if she doesn't get the hang of it this week I'll probably return it.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Bea and Bo can jump right into grandma's car and will with little encouragement, but I've always had to help hoist them into my old SUV and my new SRX. Bo has to put his front feet on top of the bumper and then I hoist him up by his back end and he kind of clambers into the back doggie area. Bea is 45 lbs and I must pick her up and lift her into the back -- although she tries to put her feet on the SRX bumper (per our ritual) the bumper is higher on this vehicle and she cannot reach it as easily as she could on the old Explorer XLT.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We always pick ours up and down from the car. They ride in the back of our SUV and we don't want them jumping down and getting hurt. Sometimes I will load one in the side rear door and they could jump in that way, but I still lift them up, so not to take a change of them hurting themselves.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

We have three trucks in our house: F150 (my truck), F250 (husbands truck), Ford Ranger (lol; Amber and Ruby's truck). Now, Amber can get up in the Ranger with no problem but I have to help her up in the F150 and F250 because they are too high. I am looking into a ramp to put in the back of my truck since we now have both of them. I heard Costcos has some ramps that arent too expensive and I am checking into them because our bed is rather high too and we have to pick up both of them to let them up. Most folks I have seen with Bulldogs assist them getting in the vehicle or have a ramp just for them.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I have to give Wilson a boost up, as well as Emma but she probably could make it easy if she really wanted too. I have a 4Runner. Wilson can jump up on the couch but he really has to work at it. I never let either jump out of the car. Wilson's so top heavy, he's tumble on his noggin if he jumped out.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Wrinkle Wiper
    Real Name
    Rachael
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rambo
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I figured our EBD would need some form of assistance getting into our Nissan Rogue. I'm a petite person (5'2 and 130 pounds) so I was a little concerned, but I've picked up my collegue's 100 pound lab so I don't think it would be too big a deal.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stephanie
    Country
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tubby
    Likes (Received)

I lift Tubby in and out of my car even though its lower. I drive a Honda prelude. I worry about him huirting himself. Same thing for his dad's car too in and out. I call it my workout for the day when I have to cause at 35lbs he is starting to make my arms burn when lifting him lol

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I also have a small SUV (Highlander) and Gio will jump right in himself, he just turned 3 today so he is young. Gio is also a bit taller so is able to jump in and out. Princess on the other hand is 10 and is much lower to the ground, I have to pick her up and put her in and take her out, she is 55lbs so shes not too bad to lift
    Princess, Diva, and Gio <3

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

We lift Bogey in and out of our cars( Buick lacrosse and ford mustang) I have seen too many injuries from dogs jumping out of cars, no matter what the size. Bogey has a 4 month old EBD buddy that is in a cast with a broken toe from jumping out of their car last weekend. Nope, he will not jump in or out on our watch. We lift him in. He is allowed to help though!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    It will depend on the dog. A young spry, athletic bully will probably jump right in. HRH on the other hand at 6.5 yrs., I pick up and place in our Jeep Grand Cherokee. But,,, she is only 40 pounds.. I dont know what we would do if we had a 70 pounder!.
    I respectfully disagree that HRH needs to be picked up do to her wise 6.5 years, I think she would've needed that at 6 months had you had her then! LOL I'm sure she would prefer to be carted about by Royal litter carriers like an Egyptian Queen, hint hint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads