question

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
So her grown kids want to sleep in and your dogs barking is disturbing them but the hammering, drilling and power tools didn't bother them, oh yes I get it makes perfect sense don't it.[ Okay if it ever happens again inform her that its 10 am not 10 pm and that your dogs are not violating any noise curfew at that hour of the day. That you desire to be a good neighbor and will limit your dogs excessive barking when and if it occurs.] Dogs barking at a stranger using power tools is not excessive nor unusual.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Looks like you told her exactly what you should have. Especially if you pointed out to her that it was only barking at her workman that started her complaint to begin with.
Looks like we will be getting new neighbors soon on the North side of our house. I always dread those kind of changes. The ones we have now have been ok.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Your neighbor was being unreasonable and I'm glad you pointed it out to her. I haven't lived in a "neighborhood" since the mid '70s, this reminds me why!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh the day my neighbors come over to tell me to keep my dogs in because they have people over there working with tools, etc. so that their grown kids can sleep at 10:00 am is the day I'll politely tell them to F off. :angel:

That's BS and I'd be livid too. That's quite a bit of nerve!!! Even if they were babies, it was 10:00 am and I'm not changing mine or my dogs' lifestyle to suit their needs and/or lifestyle. I'd be :chapped:!

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It's really difficult to live next to someone with a "feud" going on. The worst of it is not THE INCIDENT itself that started it, but all the bad feelings and awkward hatred LOL that happens afterward. Your neighbor is being a selfish bitch and the law is on your side but if you've gotta live next to this family of fools, middle ground has to be found. Otherwise, you're constantly worrying and anxious that your dogs are noisy and they'll feel that icky, nervous energy and it will just get worse for everyone. I would have said, "Your grown children should be at their highly successful jobs at that hour -- not snoring away the day." --- but they apparently work at night. I grew up with a father (word used VERY loosely) who worked nights and every morning of every day of my life was peppered with "Shhhh you kids! You better not wake your dad!!!" Ugh. I say, if you choose to work when the rest of the world is asleep, get some effing earplugs or take a valium.

Is it possible to "truce" and approach her demands reasonably? Are they hillbillies? Do they own firearms? More importantly, do you? You'll need to shoot back.

nodnetni

Jan 14, 2013
Duluth, MN
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Seems a bit absurd to ask someone to keep their dog in until 11:00am. I really don't get people sometimes. You have every right to be upset over this, your neighbor has some pretty unrealistic views on how things should be done. Unless your dog is out barking for long periods of time for no reason, I see it being no different than mowing your lawn, it is an unavoidable noise that is part of a neighborhood.

If the "kids" work late shifts, they would probably do best with earplugs to help them sleep, not going around to the neighbors telling them they need to be quite.

I could imagine a weekend where someone near my house wasn't up mowing at 8 am, or better yet the seagulls in the park squawking at 5 am. If need to get rest I should find ways to make my sleeping area quiet, not the world around it.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] Sound advise and funny, too.

(edited to ad) P.S. I would be a walking zombie if I didn't have my ear plugs! Drop some off at your neighbors house - they're cheap and effective. A belated house warming gift.

(edited again to ad) [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] good luck!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Id tell her kindly to go and jump off a cliff!!

At the end of the day.. If there was a theif or house burgerlar in her house whatever time of day/night and your dog barking at the stranger disturbed them and woke her precious brats - she would soon be thanking you and praising your dogs to the moon and back.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Not only would I tell her to piss off, I would also get the urge to work on Amber and Ruby's speaking ability. :rofl::rofl:I would have bags of beef jerky and make them sit and speak until I knew everyone next door was wide eyed and bushy tailed. I might even go as far as acting dumb and asking them if they would like a cup of coffee since they are already up....:ROFL:

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
That's messed up. This lady is clearly insane. She probably wants them to sleep in so she doesn't have to deal with them herself. It's so screwy that she believes she has a valid enough case to come to your house and talk with you about it. What's worse is she is setting rules that will inevitably lead to more tension when you don't "comply". It also sounds like her kids are mamma's boys/girls and will likely stand behind her if things escalate. The last thing you want is this to turn into some petty little feud between your family and hers.

I would confront her right away. Let her know that you understand that kids of their age tend to sleep in, I mean, I did at their age, blah blah blah. Let her know that now that you are an adult with weekday responsibilities you will not be wasting the weekend hiding in your house until her babies are rested. See how it goes and play it by ear from there. Then put up a camera to make sure she doesn't mess with your dogs while they are out or throw anything over the fence for them when you're not around.

The reason I say all this, is because I got into a feud with my neighbors whose yard butted up against the back of mine. I caught their grown kids who were living with them reaching over the fence stealing tomatoes from my garden. Their embarrassment for being caught doing something so damn petty started this 5 year long fight between us, until I moved. Not the homeowners, the kids. They would leave their rottweiler out in the yard to bark the whole time I had people over and when I didn't respond to that, they started throwing trash in my yard. More petty stuff I could deal with, it was the fear they would throw something over that would hurt my pooch that worried me. I ended up mounting a camera and telling them it was there. Things got a little more tolerable after that but I wish it never escalated to that point. Funny thing is, I used to grow so many tomatoes that I gave them away all the time. If they wanted them all they had to do was say "hi, lots of 'maters you got there" and they would have filled up a bag for them.
All I'm saying is I would try to end it quickly. Cussing them out will just cause it to last longer and neighbor feuds are so freaking draining.

I just wanted to add, I'm no pushover. I put myself through school and paid my mortgage carrying kegs to the third floor of the Chicago Stadium for Bulls games and collecting for 2 bookies. Neighbor feuds are way more complicated than getting a gambler to pay his debts. Believe me.

Hey! How's Enzo's doodle?

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
How freakin rude some people are.

I would be so Irate over her rudeness and I totaly agree with Lisa @desertskybulldogs

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.