I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: question

Thank you!!! There was this voice in the back of my head telling me that I was being unreasonable. I try to be neighborly as much as I can. I realize that her husband and son work nights so I try to not let them out before 7 just in case they bark at something. I also make sure that I stand out there with them at that time to stop them in case they bark at something. I don't know what her daughter does but when I say GROWN KIDS I'm talking late 20's/early 30's.

I tried explaining to her that I pay just as much taxes as she does and I believe that I have a right to use my yard at reasonable times. I also pointed out that the law defines those reasonable times as 7am to 10pm. She just snorted at me and walked away.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

wow! Sounds like she's got some LAZY A$$'d kids! Get outta here, keep your dogs quite at freakin 10am? I really would be standing there gobsmacked and unable to speak. I'm so sorry this happened!

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'd be angry too. I don't know anything about your neighbor other than what you've told us, but there are some psych nurses on these boards who might tell you to be careful because there are some people with anger issues who might attempt to harm your family or your dogs. I think you are being smart to stay with them when they're out. I had a neighbor who complained to our homeowner's association that my dog's barking at 5:30 am was waking her up. The dog was in the house, barking at the garbage truck, who was hauling off the dog's "treasures.". However, her cat was allowed to roam the neighborhood freely and tore up my shrubs and dismembered birds on my front lawn. We were thrilled when they moved.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

So her grown kids want to sleep in and your dogs barking is disturbing them but the hammering, drilling and power tools didn't bother them, oh yes I get it makes perfect sense don't it.[ Okay if it ever happens again inform her that its 10 am not 10 pm and that your dogs are not violating any noise curfew at that hour of the day. That you desire to be a good neighbor and will limit your dogs excessive barking when and if it occurs.] Dogs barking at a stranger using power tools is not excessive nor unusual.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like you told her exactly what you should have. Especially if you pointed out to her that it was only barking at her workman that started her complaint to begin with.
    Looks like we will be getting new neighbors soon on the North side of our house. I always dread those kind of changes. The ones we have now have been ok.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Your neighbor was being unreasonable and I'm glad you pointed it out to her. I haven't lived in a "neighborhood" since the mid '70s, this reminds me why!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Oh the day my neighbors come over to tell me to keep my dogs in because they have people over there working with tools, etc. so that their grown kids can sleep at 10:00 am is the day I'll politely tell them to F off.

That's BS and I'd be livid too. That's quite a bit of nerve!!! Even if they were babies, it was 10:00 am and I'm not changing mine or my dogs' lifestyle to suit their needs and/or lifestyle. I'd be !
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 03-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

It's really difficult to live next to someone with a "feud" going on. The worst of it is not THE INCIDENT itself that started it, but all the bad feelings and awkward hatred LOL that happens afterward. Your neighbor is being a selfish bitch and the law is on your side but if you've gotta live next to this family of fools, middle ground has to be found. Otherwise, you're constantly worrying and anxious that your dogs are noisy and they'll feel that icky, nervous energy and it will just get worse for everyone. I would have said, "Your grown children should be at their highly successful jobs at that hour -- not snoring away the day." --- but they apparently work at night. I grew up with a father (word used VERY loosely) who worked nights and every morning of every day of my life was peppered with "Shhhh you kids! You better not wake your dad!!!" Ugh. I say, if you choose to work when the rest of the world is asleep, get some effing earplugs or take a valium.

Is it possible to "truce" and approach her demands reasonably? Are they hillbillies? Do they own firearms? More importantly, do you? You'll need to shoot back.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Seems a bit absurd to ask someone to keep their dog in until 11:00am. I really don't get people sometimes. You have every right to be upset over this, your neighbor has some pretty unrealistic views on how things should be done. Unless your dog is out barking for long periods of time for no reason, I see it being no different than mowing your lawn, it is an unavoidable noise that is part of a neighborhood.

If the "kids" work late shifts, they would probably do best with earplugs to help them sleep, not going around to the neighbors telling them they need to be quite.

I could imagine a weekend where someone near my house wasn't up mowing at 8 am, or better yet the seagulls in the park squawking at 5 am. If need to get rest I should find ways to make my sleeping area quiet, not the world around it.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@Vicaroo1000 Sound advise and funny, too.

(edited to ad) P.S. I would be a walking zombie if I didn't have my ear plugs! Drop some off at your neighbors house - they're cheap and effective. A belated house warming gift.

(edited again to ad) @Twice good luck!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Id tell her kindly to go and jump off a cliff!!

At the end of the day.. If there was a theif or house burgerlar in her house whatever time of day/night and your dog barking at the stranger disturbed them and woke her precious brats - she would soon be thanking you and praising your dogs to the moon and back.
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads