Typical life expectancy?

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Bo is our first ebd and he is 2. We got him as a pup. Anyway, some rude lady at petsmart told me that bulldogs don't have a long life expectancy.... I guess I'm just looking for real life proof that my sweet boy isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is healthy aside from dry eye in his left eye. He's 2yrs3months and weighs 50lbs. Any of you have an elderly ebd??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Dont quote me on it but i THINK its on average 8-10 years obviously some are longer and some are shorter - especially with all the illnesses bulldogs are more likely to get. Hope this helps a bit :-) xx

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
People always have to tell us these horrible things that we dont want to hear, we just have to enjoy the precious time we have with them and love them to bits

doggonebullies

Mar 23, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Electra, Tater Bug aka Tate, and Mackenzie
Hey sweetie, I have four EBDs of my own and they are all getting up in age. My oldest was born in 2003. She is still acting like a puppy and carries her KONG everywhere she goes. I have learner through the years that is really does depend on the general health. With proper nutrition, dieting, and exercise, I think that determines their life expectancy. The "average " life expectancy of Bullies is usually around ten years but our Mackenzie has already proven that to not always be true. As long as they are well taken of, I think they can live well past ten years. Always remember to keep their shots update, their weight in range, and deworming as scheduled. They do have sensitive skin, white ones are more prone, but that's pretty much everything I can say and back my words. Good luck with your Bully. They truly are the greatest of the breeds I have ever known. Happy Easter to you and your family and your Billy. And remember they are truly lifelong cheeses. :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
As other's have said, the average is about 10. But I've seen people post about bully's as old as 14. Other's died way to young, so just like our own life expectancy, you just never know and can't worry about such things. Just do what you can to try to keep him healthy as possible and love every day you are blessed with. :luv:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yep.... 8 - 10 years with some going well past that

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with all the comments above from members, the life expectancy is about 8 to 10 years. Larger breed dogs tend to have a shorter life expectancy than small dog breeds, and EB's have more health issues than some other breeds, but having said that it also depends on the genetics of the dog, just like people there are certain diseases that we get that we have no control over. There are a lot of preventative things we can do for ourselves and our pets to maybe prevent or prolong life, by living healthy. Good health starts with good food nutrition, vitamins, exercise, going to the doctors for us and to the vets for our pets, for our annual checkups, vaccinations, and dental health as well. If we feed our bullies a high quality dog food, give them supplements like Salmon, or cod liver oil for the Omegas, apple cider vinegar, cranberry pills, and Chondroitin for their joints, we can prevent a lot of diseases in our bullies. Taking them to the vet regularly for their vaccinations and Heartworm and flea prevention will ensure they don't get sick from many preventable illnesses, and if there is a concern the vet can catch it early and treat it. Dental health is also important to our health and the health of our pets, regular dental cleanings will prevent bacteria from plaque on the teeth from going into our blood streams which also affects the heart. Also exercise will keep us and our pets active which will keep the joints active, to prevent arthritis, and will keep us strong and healthy, and the most important one is love. Love can cure a whole lot of things. Enjoy your Billy, keep him healthy and love him, and you will have many great years together.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
One of my EB's is 10 right now and she still has LOTS of life in her! Although we adopted her in January, I feel like she's been mine since she was a puppy! She has so much pep in her step, and she still loves to play with her nylabones (she will even run over and steal my 2 year old EB's toy if she feels like it!).

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I'm hoping Punk lives a long life. I recently lost my Lilly (Corgi) to lymphoma and she was only 4. I'm going to love my remaining babies - Punk and Missy - bunches and bunches as long as I have them. :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Average is around 10 years or so. Some can go at 8, but they are usually over weight and have not been taken care of that much. Some just aren't breed well and will go around 8. It' not unheard of them living to 12 or more. Our handler has one that is 14 years old. Another friend had one that lived to be 14.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Longevity in Bulldogs is a combination of genetics and lifestyle. Mack died last summer at 9 yrs old. He had a bad heart that we gave him medicine for. I know of 3 dogs who were litter mates that had heart problems. We kept his weight down and took him on daily walks and he lived right up until he died.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I don't have an elderly EB but in general it's 8-10. I have a co-worker who's bully lived to 14. Dog breeds do have their respective life spans but as always, it will vary from dog to dog. Our Pit Bulls have lived to 2 months shy of 15, 13 and 12 and two were littermates.

One of the questions my hubby asked me was "you do realize they Bulldogs have a shorter lifespan right?" I said yes I do. :love:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online