Couple of questions

Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
just a couple general questions to get the lay of the bulldog land, so to speak.
Where does your bully sleep? Crate, dog bed, couch, in bed with the people, anywhere they please?

Does there exist a bulldog that doesn't have skin/allergy issues?

I had the idea to feed set meals, but Norman is leaving food to snack on all day. Is that ok? And how crucial is new water every single day? I have a 5 gallon waterer I've been using for my JRT and cats. I think I'll add the acv to it just for good measure for everyone.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Otis sleeps anywhere he pleases. On the bed, on the couch, under the table, on my feet, on my head! He doesn't care, where ever his eye close is his bed for that moment. He will sleep where you train him to. If you want him in the crate, he will learn to be sleep there.

Some bullys have allergies. Some bullys dont. Otis does not, I got lucky with him in that respect. Abby didn't have any either but I've had several fosters with severe allergies.

The water should be changed several times a day. You will start to notice stuff floating in there or saliva in the bottom of the bowl of you don't. For health reasons, it's best to keep it fresh as often as possible.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ours sleep in their crates, and when ou are not home that's the safest place for them to be. Yes there are bullies that do not have allergies, but most of them are allergic to something. The 5 gallon water might work, but bullies do slobber a lot in their bowl, so you will just have to watch that to make sure they have clean water to drink.

OP
MelanieNormansMom
Mar 19, 2013
Country
Good old US of A
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman(RIP) & Jenkins
right now my set up at home is everyone is pretty much free range. I block the upstairs off so the cats can have a safe zone. I have dog doors outside but they are cat and Jack Russell sized. I was going to switch out to bigger norm sized but I think I will keep them as is. So cats and jrt can go in and out but Norm can't go outside unattended.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
At night, mine sleep in bed with me. During the workweek they are crated, and when i'm home they take naps pretty much anywhere they'd like. I haven't noticed allergies w/my boys yet (knock on wood)! As far as the water bowl goes, I'm w/everyone else, changing several times a day b/c of all the drool and dirt that gets in there.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My dogs sleep in their crates with the doors open at night. They have a pet door that opens to a fenced dog area in their room! During the day they pretty much sleep wherever they want!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunk sleeps in his crate at night, but during the day if someone is home he has a bed in the livingroom to nap in. He also has no allergies (yet anyway, he'll be 8 months next week) and yeah like most, fresh water often changed thanks to drool and random bits brought in from the yard :/

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse sleeps in his pen of a night that is his choice as he is a creature of habit wants to go in it, and I am with everyone else with the water fresh clean water a couple times a day.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
STAINLESS Steel Bowls are a *MUST* with bullies - and Fresh Clean water, several times a day. I actually wash out Hershey and Gizmo's waterbowl everytime I go to fill it up, or anytime that it looks 'slobberish' so several times a day I was the bowl, and refill with fresh water :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I have good ceramic heavy bowels that go right into the dishwasher. Mabel sleeps on a "bed" that is really just a pad with a raised edge. If she were younger and liked to roam at night I would crate her, but she sleeps all night. :)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon has full access to downstairs in the house as of a month or so ago. Prior to that he had a day pen inside the house that connected to a kennel outside the house for him to do his business while we are at work. Most nights he sleeps in his crate unless either my wife or I are out of town then he gets to share the bed. He has a stainless bowl that gets changed a few times a day.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I don't free-feed my dogs. Especially the Bullys. They are a bit difficult to train compared to my previous dogs and the food gets to be the most important training tool we have. It also helps me when trying to figure out health issues. And lastly, I monitor when they're eating so they don't leave too much of a mess.

My dogs sleep in their open crate in my bedroom. I don't particularly care where they sleep. They just chose the crate. When they go to my nephew who is our sitter, it is super easy to just bring their crates and they sleep in there so they don't drive my nephew crazy.

For water, I have a 2 gallon waterer in our enclosed patio. And yes, it is plastic. This has not been a problem. I do wash the bottom everyday when I wash their stainless steel food bowls.

My 2 bulldogs have allergies.

frankie

Mar 14, 2013
San Clemente, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Frankie has a crate for when I am gone. She puts herself to bed in it if she is really sleepy. She has a bed in the living room, but uses it to hide toys. She naps on the couch or the rugs, where ever she wants. I only let her in my bed when I am there so I can lift her on and off, b/c it is to high of a jump. Although when in my bed, she looks like she is running through snow and likes to jump on the bed, its hysterical! I also do stainless steel bowls with fresh water all the time! I am also wondering about allergies, she is starting to bite at her little paws...... ????

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
All of my dogs (5) sleep in their own crates at night and are in them when we are not at home. When we are home, they are out and sleep anywhere they want. I crate them, because my one bully is disabled (in a wheel chair) and it would not be fair for all of them to be out and not him.

Two of my dogs (maybe 3) have allergies to foods which we have narrowed down to Chicken. I also have two bullies which have bladder stone problems and are currently eating Hills UD (Unfortunately - and it also has chicken in it). I am currently trying to work with my vets to switch them to home cooked diet or maybe raw.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online