I can't be the only one

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Am I the only person here that, um, tastes their pooches food before they give it to them? Not every time. Just before you give them something new. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I figure if they are going to eat it, I need to know if it's like all chemically tasting. Yeah, I'm nuts. :excited:

Um yeah. You ARE the only one.

Ya Weirdo.

*giggle*

egghunt2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo and Enzo - Giuseppe 7/11/01 - 4/23/12
I agree with you Dave, its unpalatable to us why should we expect them to enjoy it. With in reason of course, I wouldn't eat road kill but Im quite sure they may give it a taste. But yes, I have tried a tiny bit of their kibble and a real small portion of a treat to see what it was like so no your not alone

I knew it! I knew there had to be another person who does this. It's not like you sit down with a spoon and a bowl. Just a little taste to see what's up, right? Just to see if it tastes bad or like there is something wrong with the food. Hell, I eat hot dogs. Can't be much worse than that.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
By the way I'm not planning on eating a bowl full of Beef Frittata for breakfast though.

Now you have given me an idea, I can get myself an antler to stir my Johnnie Walker Black and gnaw on the antler while I watch boxing

That's hilarious! :D I don't think I would eat a bowl either. First of all, a steak would be cheaper... lol. It does taste like real Wisconsin cheese though. Apparently only you and I know that.

I just went to the little pet food store near our home, it's a little boutiquey type place but they have good stuff, and I saw a piece of antler there for $27! There are deer antlers laying all over the place by our cottage. I throw them up in the woods when I'm mowing. First thing this spring I am going to go search for them.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
By all means collect and save those shed antlers and you have a surplus you can mail me some, Ace loves them

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
yeah, I try everything before I give it to Chunky, even the kibble, and my hubby thinks I'm a little off, but hey that should not be a suprize ;)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I remember enjoying a bit of my dog's food when I was about 6 years old. And I also remember it was highly frowned upon by those in authority over me at the time.
So nope, can't say I've ever tried HRH's food or any of the dog kibble that has crossed my path in life in the 50 years since then.
My daughter used to eat the awful food we used to feed our dogs. :bad: I wouldn't have a problem trying the good stuff we feed now that I learned to read the labels.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Well there's 2 of you now, you need a 3rd for a group.

Just a warning on the field antlers--don't let your dogs have any that are dry and brittle; our vet has had to remove shards that were embedded in intestines.

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
yeah, I try everything before I give it to Chunky, even the kibble, and my hubby thinks I'm a little off, but hey that should not be a suprize ;)

Being a little off is not a bad thing :) You need to know what your little buddy is eating.
Chunk is a cutie. Truffle shuffle and Chunk... I'm guessing he is named after Chunk in the Goonies? Great movie!

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Ummm....YUCK! No way I would ever try it but am diligent in making sure I know what all the ingredients are....I always say Guinness eats the way I'd like my family to eat.....he has the most healthy diet of all of us!

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Well there's 2 of you now, you need a 3rd for a group.

Just a warning on the field antlers--don't let your dogs have any that are dry and brittle; our vet has had to remove shards that were embedded in intestines.

Haha! There are 3! [MENTION=7587]Rural mystic[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7467]truffle shuffle[/MENTION] and me. I guess we are officially a group.

I will definitely keep that in mind with the antlers. If I remember correctly, the antlers were as hard as concrete but I don't know what condition they might be in after sitting out all winter. Thanks for the heads-up!:yes:

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
[MENTION=8191]giuseppe[/MENTION] Thanks so much! Yes indeed the Goonies was our insipreation! I totally agree, I want to make sure that he gets as much goodness as possible, so he's at his healthiest and best!! :D

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Well, yeah, their kibble, any treats we buy them. It's how I decided they would never eat a pupperoni again or a tbonz. I know it's sick but if I can't eat it, why feed it to my boys? I know it's crazy but that won't make me stop. Beef Frittata is surprisingly tasty by the way. :p

Lmfao it is isnt it :p no sadly SMH I do too n I'm a girl so ppl look at me like wtf I expect it from a guy not u :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
giuseppe

giuseppe

Feb 18, 2013
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Lmfao it is isnt it :p no sadly SMH I do too n I'm a girl so ppl look at me like wtf I expect it from a guy not u :D

I haven't tried the Frittata with yogurt sauce yet, mmmm. :yes: Actually, I truly expect more women to step forward. These are our babies. You need to know what they are eating. If it's bad, you gotta know. How else can you do that?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:hmm: I can honestly say tasting their food is not something that I have done. :tease: I do give a good smell though and will even sniff the wet food when they get it. I did eat one of those vanilla cookies they sell in the bulk bins at Petco last year. I swear that's a regular cookie....tasted good too. :ashamed:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online