Does the bully go first or last?

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Its house move day today and tomorrow.. Im thinking of how to make things as least stressful for Meeks as possible.. Im stuck though

Do i move him to the new house first or last?

In one mind i think moving him first would be bad because its a strange new house to him
But the other day my sister moved house and took her dogs last and her husky really got worked up, fretted and panicked when their old house became emptier? So much that she chewed and scratched like mad at the door..

Any advice on how you done your move and when is best to move Meeko xx

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I've never moved with my bullies but have moved with other dogs. What I did was I moved them last but during the emptying of the old house I took them over to my sister in law's house and let them have a day with their aunty. When they walked in the new house they smelled everything and pee'd on everything (outside) but settled down because all of "their" stuff was already there and in a familiar spot in relation to the other furniture in the room.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If at all possible, here is what we did. We had two quick moves due to waiting for our house to be finished, we lived in an apartment for 4 months, then moved into our new home.

While the place was still empty, we took Banks over to wonder around (off leash) with us following her and just let her get a scent and comfort in the new 'walls'. The apartment was just about 20-30 mins. The house we gave her about two hours. We brought some toys and her bowls with us so she could feel comfortable. Then for moving in... they went to Aunt Shannon's house for the day - too stressful for them to be around.

she never took to the apartment, she really did not like it at all, which heck, neither did I. It was small, narrow and dark. The house, she was fine on day one.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If at all possible, here is what we did. We had two quick moves due to waiting for our house to be finished, we lived in an apartment for 4 months, then moved into our new home.

While the place was still empty, we took Banks over to wonder around (off leash) with us following her and just let her get a scent and comfort in the new 'walls'. The apartment was just about 20-30 mins. The house we gave her about two hours. We brought some toys and her bowls with us so she could feel comfortable. Then for moving in... they went to Aunt Shannon's house for the day - too stressful for them to be around.

she never took to the apartment, she really did not like it at all, which heck, neither did I. It was small, narrow and dark. The house, she was fine on day one.

This is perfect..try not to leave them alone at all. If you have someone to leave them with for the day would be good too...good Luck on your move! :)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
When we moved into our house a year and a half ago, I brought Vegas to the empty house off leash and let him walk around and sniff both inside and out. he hated it and sat by the front door wanting to leave. The day of the move we had movers and had them move everything to the new house, I kept Vegas and his crate at the old house with me until the very end. I loaded up his crate and brought him to the new house. With everything we owned from our old house now in our new house, Vegas walked around and sniffed and was totaly OK for the day and has been since.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Sorry I am of no help but I do hope the move goes seemlessly! Good luck and yes, pics please.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
This is an interesting dilemma that I will soon be facing myself. I have moved my stuff into my fiance's house but I have not moved in yet (waiting until after the wedding)...however, the Diva and I stay there on weekends and I want her to get comfy but when we go back to my place and I say 'let's go' she is always ready---maybe because she likes the car!---so I am curious to see how it works out for you...sorry for the mini-hijack!

Hope it goes well!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have moved several time with the bullies and we took them the last day and they did fine. The last time we moved unfortunately we had to be totally out of our house before closing on the new one and we had to put the bullies at our realtors home while we were at closing. That was another night mare, thanks to her s$!&head kids. But they did fine with the new house, except BeBe and Lucy did not like the wood floors very much, too slippery for them I guess, but they are fine know.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Hey tasha
I was a mover for over 10 years and honestly the pets always do better when they are off-site durring the move all together. The stress of seeing movers come in and take the furniture away makes them crazy stressed. Also being in the new house while movers are bringing in the furniture can be equally stressful. I always recommended to the client that the pets be boarded or babysat until the moving is complete. It makes for a much easier transition for them. Acclimating to a new house is bad enough but all the excitement and confusion of a move can be a lot for the bully to take. Since its a 2day move I have to assume you have a lot of stuff. Lotta packing and unpacking.... Fun fun fun. If you can't get Meeko off site untill the move is complete than I would keep him in a room in the the new house that won't be a high traffic area (don't wanna get in te movers way) until all those "strangers carrying boxes and furniture" have left.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.