JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
The concepts sounds like a really neat idea and how wonderful that your hubby wants to do this for them. :2thumbs: But I'm with everyone else, it's way too risky for bullies for the reasons stated above. Another concern is what if you lost power and it was it got to warm, that would always worry me. Theft would too of them just being outside unattended. Wilson, and now Emma, will also bake in the sun if I let them, even when it's 90 out. They love the heat but heat is dangerous for our bullies and often it's too late for them before it's realized. But.......I :clap: to your hubby for a great idea in theory.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
we have a 36" decorative fence up around a 'Pee Garden' we open our sliding glass doors and they run down to the patio and their pee garden. (The Fence goes from the side of the house, out to the Pee Garden, to the other side of the house, so when we open the door, they are 'in' the enclosed area. Now if they REALLY wanted to, they probably could push over this type of fencing, but they havent.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_19299-16418...currentURL=?Ntt=decorative+fencing&facetInfo=

Lowes - No Dig 36-in x 30-in Black/Powder Coated Steel Fence Panel

this is what it actually is, it isnt really expensive to do a small area I think we got 20 panels do do our area.

But I concur, I dont let them have a free run outside, because they just love sunbathing TOO much to realize when to come in from the sun.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
As a fellow Alabamian, I agree about the worry with the heat! Already Aubie has got too hot on the couple of days its been real warm recently... and she wasn't out very long at all. We'd like to think they'd go where its cool, but you just never know.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Just got me to thinking for the potty brakes why not build a decent size sand box in the basement out of 2x6's and fill up with dirt and see if they would go in it. Maybe a dumb idea but thought I would throw it out there

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Well my dogs have never been outside by themselves so I'm totally feeling your concerns! I just don't trust other people to not take my precious pets. The same way with my kids until just last year (they are almost 9 & 11) I would not want them to have access to the outside, strictly inside. I'm curious to see how he builds it!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I use a litter box in a pen when I leave for more than an hour and it works really well! Also I have seen that grass potty patch also if you go to a search engine and type in DIY dog potty patch it will pull up different ways to make one and you can make it whatever size you want. Thought about that myself!

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
We have a privacy fence and a doggie door, but we close the doggie door when we are gone! I would never allow Zeus to have access outside if no one was home. He would stay all day no matter how hot! He can wait all day for a potty break and he is a year old. I am fortunate that hubby is retired and here with him almost every day or can take him with him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online