Pulling on lead !!!!!

dottie2012

May 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
dottie
HI
our bulldog dottie is 12months old and weighs in at 58lbs
the problem we have is she pulls on the lead so much she makes herself sick the thing with her is she has to be in front she won't let anyone or our dachshund be in front when were out.
today we went and bought her a harness to try well so went mad at first lol but after 10 mins she got the hang of it iam just taking her out on her own to start with she how she goes.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When ever she gets in front of you, tug the leash quickly to the side and say NO, and make her stop and sit. start the walk again and keep doing this until she gets the hint and walks by your side. Once she starts walking by your side relax your arm and grip and just walk with her, if she starts getting ahead of you snap the leash again and correct her. It takes time and patience, but can be done. You will spend a lot of time stopping and sitting at first, but she will get it. Once she has mastered that walk, then you can introduce your dachshund.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We have just the opposite problem! Mabel probably has never been on a leash, so she just stops and plants her feet. She is starting to realize we can just pick her up and move her!

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
you've been given excellent advice from Davidh ... it's all about patience & consistency, but once Dottie understands what is expected she will follow along. keep us all updated :)

OP
dottie2012

dottie2012

May 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
dottie
Thanks I think I am trying to work out weather a harness is better for her :confused:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks I think I am trying to work out weather a harness is better for her :confused:

Harnesses are better for ALL bulldogs. Collars can do damage to their trachea and you will have better control with harness. I keep jake very close to me and tight..as she stops acting up..you can lengthen her lead.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When ever she gets in front of you, tug the leash quickly to the side and say NO, and make her stop and sit. start the walk again and keep doing this until she gets the hint and walks by your side. Once she starts walking by your side relax your arm and grip and just walk with her, if she starts getting ahead of you snap the leash again and correct her. It takes time and patience, but can be done. You will spend a lot of time stopping and sitting at first, but she will get it. Once she has mastered that walk, then you can introduce your dachshund.

^^^^ perfect

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

:2thumbs:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Harnesses are better for ALL bulldogs. Collars can do damage to their trachea and you will have better control with harness.

My dear friend and favoritest whacko here at EBN, I must beg to differ. With all due respect, of course. :heart: Harnesses are for pulling. Control of a dog is achieved at the head of the dog, specifically at the TOP of the neck - not the bottom part. Our pups have these big, thick necks and, due to their bully DNA, have no limits! (As you've seen with Miss Pull-N-Barf - Bo used to do the same thing) I know. I know. I'm not going to win any popularity points with this assertion but think about it; you got a big chested dog with a device across the front of that big chest. Holding him back might be easier for the human using a harness (since there's more nylon/leather in the game) but does that really solve the pulling problem? Watch any of the gazillions of videos where Cesar Millan walks a dog that pulls. Loose, loop leash at the top of the neck (like dog show style) and practice, consistency and leadership and you've got yourself a dog who walks with you regardless of the style of containment being used.

Bo used to pull himself so hard he'd barf. He will still pull on the lead at times; usually at the beginning of the walk and certainly if he knows where we're going and he wants to get there (PetPros). I made the BIGGEST MISTAKE of my dog raising life by letting him get away with this some of this as a puppy. Now, he's two years old and UNTIL we get to the "potty spot", it takes everything I have (calm/assertive wise) to keep him walking at a normal (or slow - Bea is with us, after all) pace and NOT pulling at the lead. He settles down once we get there -- and I know this -- so I let him get away with it for a long time. Now it's a habit. And because of that, I'm having to break a habit that I created. (There are a few of these things that I am working on) I use a martingale collar because the chain "snap" noise offers an additional cue at the moment of correction. That thing that Cesar does when he touches a dog with his foot - from behind kinda? It friggin works. It redirects their focus long enough that you can work toward gaining control. I just started using that tool in the last few months when Bo was going to pull me clean over in order to get a visit with his friend, the Lawn Maintenance guy.

Picture it. The scenario rolled like this. Keep in mind, this all happened inside of 30 seconds or less.

Me: (In my head: "Oh crap. There's Jonathan! Bo's gonna go ape-shyt.") My energy travels down the leash and cues Bo. ("Calm" would have been good here...LOL)
Bo: Bo has picked up on my "Oh Crap", scans the horizon, sees Jonathan and immediately leaps forward.
Me: Quick left jerk on lead (Bo's thrown off balance)
Me: ACK! (My version of David's "No")
Bo: attempts another charge at Jonathan...
Me: Crosses left leg behind right, poking Bo in the flank with my toes.
Bo stops -- as he is GENUINELY SURPRISED - and I can again address the lunging.
Me: Jerk! Ack!
Bo stops trying to get to Jonathan and looks to me for direction. In this case, we proceeded toward Jonathan UNTIL he started pulling again. Then it was rinse and repeat. The closer you get to the target the harder it is to control the dog. For the last ten or so feet, Bo had to sit and wait until Jonathan came to him. Oh it was hard for him! I thought he was going to explode...but he did it.

It would have been a lot easier to just give in and let him run to Jonathan. Mr. Lawn Man and the Dog would have enjoyed immensely and I would have enjoyed watching them greet each other. There's genuine adoration there. The thing is, there's a larger danger here. Having control during a Jonathan Outbreak REALLY gets me points when there's a Chase A Strange Cat Outbreak or a Running into the Street Outbreak. He's 75 lbs. If he wants to go somewhere, he can pretty much go there without my authorization. I was bamboozled by his total cuteness as a pup, I guess? Either that or aliens stole my brain. I certainly didn't raise Bea that way!

Now excuse me, the Mother Ship is calling.....

I :heart: Becky.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
not sure i agree with anything but a harness on a bully myself due to their small airways and breathing problems but i am certainly no expert. sarah wears a harness and walks like a turtle. i would do what davidh said. also is said to not the the dog go out of the door first either. you leave the house first then they follow and they are to not walk in front of you either. i have tried the tap method she talks about above with my bostons and they do respond well. not sure what you do with a dog that wont walk except perhaps treats to entice them to go. i had a boston once that would not walk and i would kinda drag her around. i finally just gave up which was probably the wrong thing to do.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well whether you use a collar or harness is totally up to you. The thing is, make the bully do as you please. Redirect with either a tug to the side with the lead or tap with your foot, either way works. Say "NO" or "ACK" either one works, you can say "Boo" of you want, it doesn't matter, you really don't have to say anything, but I like to associate a sound with it and I usually say a sound similar to ACK, but can't spell it. :) I like to stop them and make them sit, just to slow their walk down and reset the mind, so to speak, and start again. Some people don't make them stop and that's OK too, it just works better for me and I get quicker results from it. Just find what works beat for you and your bully.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My dear friend and favoritest whacko here at EBN, I must beg to differ. With all due respect, of course. :heart: Harnesses are for pulling. Control of a dog is achieved at the head of the dog, specifically at the TOP of the neck - not the bottom part. Our pups have these big, thick necks and, due to their bully DNA, have no limits! (As you've seen with Miss Pull-N-Barf - Bo used to do the same thing) I know. I know. I'm not going to win any popularity points with this assertion but think about it; you got a big chested dog with a device across the front of that big chest. Holding him back might be easier for the human using a harness (since there's more nylon/leather in the game) but does that really solve the pulling problem? Watch any of the gazillions of videos where Cesar Millan walks a dog that pulls. Loose, loop leash at the top of the neck (like dog show style) and practice, consistency and leadership and you've got yourself a dog who walks with you regardless of the style of containment being used.

Bo used to pull himself so hard he'd barf. He will still pull on the lead at times; usually at the beginning of the walk and certainly if he knows where we're going and he wants to get there (PetPros). I made the BIGGEST MISTAKE of my dog raising life by letting him get away with this some of this as a puppy. Now, he's two years old and UNTIL we get to the "potty spot", it takes everything I have (calm/assertive wise) to keep him walking at a normal (or slow - Bea is with us, after all) pace and NOT pulling at the lead. He settles down once we get there -- and I know this -- so I let him get away with it for a long time. Now it's a habit. And because of that, I'm having to break a habit that I created. (There are a few of these things that I am working on) I use a martingale collar because the chain "snap" noise offers an additional cue at the moment of correction. That thing that Cesar does when he touches a dog with his foot - from behind kinda? It friggin works. It redirects their focus long enough that you can work toward gaining control. I just started using that tool in the last few months when Bo was going to pull me clean over in order to get a visit with his friend, the Lawn Maintenance guy.

Picture it. The scenario rolled like this. Keep in mind, this all happened inside of 30 seconds or less.

Me: (In my head: "Oh crap. There's Jonathan! Bo's gonna go ape-shyt.") My energy travels down the leash and cues Bo. ("Calm" would have been good here...LOL)
Bo: Bo has picked up on my "Oh Crap", scans the horizon, sees Jonathan and immediately leaps forward.
Me: Quick left jerk on lead (Bo's thrown off balance)
Me: ACK! (My version of David's "No")
Bo: attempts another charge at Jonathan...
Me: Crosses left leg behind right, poking Bo in the flank with my toes.
Bo stops -- as he is GENUINELY SURPRISED - and I can again address the lunging.
Me: Jerk! Ack!
Bo stops trying to get to Jonathan and looks to me for direction. In this case, we proceeded toward Jonathan UNTIL he started pulling again. Then it was rinse and repeat. The closer you get to the target the harder it is to control the dog. For the last ten or so feet, Bo had to sit and wait until Jonathan came to him. Oh it was hard for him! I thought he was going to explode...but he did it.

It would have been a lot easier to just give in and let him run to Jonathan. Mr. Lawn Man and the Dog would have enjoyed immensely and I would have enjoyed watching them greet each other. There's genuine adoration there. The thing is, there's a larger danger here. Having control during a Jonathan Outbreak REALLY gets me points when there's a Chase A Strange Cat Outbreak or a Running into the Street Outbreak. He's 75 lbs. If he wants to go somewhere, he can pretty much go there without my authorization. I was bamboozled by his total cuteness as a pup, I guess? Either that or aliens stole my brain. I certainly didn't raise Bea that way!

Now excuse me, the Mother Ship is calling.....

I :heart: Becky.

:faint:

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyy......
Lets say...I prefer harness only! :)

OP
dottie2012

dottie2012

May 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
dottie
Re: Pulling on lead !!!!! Update

Well she has been out with the new harness for 5 short walks now and no sickness from pulling and a much more controlled walk she is still getting used to the harness but I think she secretly likes it all I am doing is correcting her speed verry happy in just 2 days work and the advice of davidh is in use say no and stop :)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I'm with @vacaroo1000 slip collar or even metal choke chain (sound gets their attention). With a slip type collar, IMHO, it is easier to quickly get them to stop pulling. I always use them. No danger of hurting them because they very quickly learn not to pull. As soon as they learn to stp pulling everyone is happier.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You can also try rewarding her for good bahaviour...that is beeing on a loose lead. Give her a small treat every time she walks by your side on a loose lead and stop immediately when she pulls. Klicker training works well with pulling too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online