Day Camp Fight

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
So after 3 years of no incidents at Petsmart Day Camp, I got the dreaded call that Tipsy attacked a little terrier. She was in the small camp and when the terrier wanted to sniff her, she got upset and attacked the terrier. Broke her molar but no broken skin. The manager told me they separated them and Tipsy got time out. Now I am freaking out that 1) I have to pay a huge vet bill and 2) afraid to take back there. She's never attacked a dog. She is pretty social. Anyone experience something similar? Haven't heard from the other pet parents or Petsmart manager yet. Very sad:( don't want to have another dog hurt because of my Tipsy.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Kev, just know that I'll keep you & Tipsy in my prayers and pray
also the 'lil terrier & parents are not going to make a big deal out
of this incident. Things happen...I wouldn't worry over Tipsy's
temperment since she's proven to be very good & very socialized.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhh man! I'm sorry Kevin..I'm pretty sure everyone assumes liability for their own pets there. And it is obviously out of character for your baby. :( Just remember..just because your bully is bigger..doesn't mean they are at fault! Little dogs are notorious for instigating and getting the worst of it. I'm thinking if Petsmart felt it was your dogs fault..they would've told you that they can't return. I would feel bad too..but stuff like this happens all the time. I sure hope everything is ok...

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Terriers can be a little overwhelming to a calm breed like a bulldog. Bulldogs are only able to take so much from another dog. They want to sit there and be good like they are supposed to. We were on an outing with Mimi (RIP) when a little terrier (off leash) went after Mimi. She started to go on the offense and I told her no and tugged on her leash. She stopped (Much to my relief, she could be the wicked bitch of the west at times) the other owner finally came and got his dog. I told him next time I was going to let go of the leash and let her protect herself. He kept his dog in check after that.

They used to put Mimi with the big dogs at daycare because she really didn't believe she was a small bulldog. She was a 43 lb bulldog.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Whoa! I've never heard of a Petsmart that has a day camp! The one by me has a groomer and a vet but not a camp...

I would go ahead and take her back to camp and see how it goes. Maybe tell the handlers that if the terrier is back, just to keep them separate until they're sociable together. Hope the molar is not too bad! I can't imagine how he broke his molar on a terrier. But yea, everyone has a point, terriers can get really yippity which can get annoying to calmer dogs.

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
I'm sure that the circumstances of what happened have something to do with it. For example, I was moving in with my boyfriend and it was a really old house with a long & narrow back hallway. My roommate was babysitting a pit bull (sweet sweet dog- he's always played with Dexter and just in general a great dog. Seriously would not ever hurt anything. He lets my chihuahua tear him up-) well no worries because they've always played together, everything good UNTIL we are all 3 in the end of this tiny hall and there's a mattress in the way. The dogs couldn't turn around comfortably because they followed too close and it was a tight space. Next thing I know- DOG FIGHT. I jumped tight in the middle of it (not thinking) and distracted them long enough that it quit. They were both a little shaken up after that but fine. We separated them for a but and when they saw each other again playtime resumed. I asked my vet and he said it was because of the tight space and they would have tried to go after each other again if it were an issue.

My point is, something prob happened that caused that response. And that terrier prob irritated your baby

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I would have thought your bully would be with the larger breed to begin with. Seems odd they would consider her a small breed dog. Wish you luck.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sorry this happened. Maybe you can talk to the manager about the incident and perhaps some of the staff there who saw what happened could give some insight as to what may have triggered it. Has to be a good reason why Tipsy felt she had to attack. Thinking maybe you can bring Tipsy back there for a couple hours...sort of to re-introduce her to the camp and then see how she does. I'm sure she will be fine and that this was an isolated incident.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So after 3 years of no incidents at Petsmart Day Camp, I got the dreaded call that Tipsy attacked a little terrier. She was in the small camp and when the terrier wanted to sniff her, she got upset and attacked the terrier. Broke her molar but no broken skin. The manager told me they separated them and Tipsy got time out. Now I am freaking out that 1) I have to pay a huge vet bill and 2) afraid to take back there. She's never attacked a dog. She is pretty social. Anyone experience something similar? Haven't heard from the other pet parents or Petsmart manager yet. Very sad:( don't want to have another dog hurt because of my Tipsy.

Sorry this happen, but I would not be too concerned - if it was Tipsy being out of line, or doing something deemed not approprite they would have told you at that time that she could not return. Most likely the terrrier was just being a terrier and Tipsy was having none of it.

Let us know how it goes with the other parents and the manager -- if they call.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've already been given good advice by everybody. I too wouldn't worry too much and take her back there after speaking to the staff - if only to put your own mind at rest! :yes:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Tipsy and the terrier have already "let go" of this situation. You should too. One incident does not constitute an on-going problem for Tipsy.

Bea used to go to PetSmart day camp two days a week. She was always with the small breed dogs as the staff determined that the big breed room stressed her out and she'd get snippy. Eventually, she got snippy as a matter of course. She grew out of the "fun" of day camp I guess. In the end, the manager told me, she just comes in and sleeps all day -- even during play time. Why pay for that? LOL I moved soon after but if I still lived nearby, I'd still take her there periodically - just for the experience of it. We have a doggy day camp up here that Bea and Bo have both been to a few times but it's so DAMNED FAR AWAY. The other part is that the whole time they are there, I'm watchin' the clock because I can't wait to go pick them up. Silly me.

OP
kev122573

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Thank you all for the advice. So I didn't take her in after the incident. But I decided to take her in today. Everything was fine and she was in the small room again playing with her waterbowl (she now has her own since she likes to push it around the room and chase after it). The manager didnt mention anything about the other dog, didnt get a chance to really talk to him. I will ask him the next time I see him. So as of now, everything's ok. I do need to work with her on her possessiveness with toys but that's a whole another topic. Thanks again and here is a pic of her today after camp, knocked out. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363669934.621138.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.