Thread: is it ok to adjust my 8 month old bullys living arrangement to a bigger space?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sammy(male)
    Likes (Received)

Default is it ok to adjust my 8 month old bullys living arrangement to a bigger space?

Hello,

Just wanted some opinions from some bully owners regarding my Sammy's living arrangement. So my Sammy is home alone for about 6-6.5 hours aday in his own room since my husband and i live in a two bedroom apt. So we have him in a puppypen that is 5 by 8 ft (toys, water, pee pad included) which practically takes up the whole room bec the rest of the room has the tv and futon so really it fits perfect. So my question is now that he is 8 months old and 50lbs of great health thank g_d, im thinking of opening the puppypen and giving him the luxury of the bedroom plus the open hallway which extends to the front door. So instead of having the puppypen closed like an octagon, i would open it up so he can have more access.....im not sure if he needs more space now that he has grown?

Also, he doesnt use the weepad anymore during the day (since he has aged) and by the last two hours or sometimes in the beginning of the day he destroys it, should i take it out?

just though to ask any opinions on this since i never crated or isolated my pets before because someone was always home.... ty!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: is it ok to adjust my 8 month old bullys living arrangement to a bigger space?

It really is based on your level of trust with him being able to roam freely -- same area or not, they find something to get into. I would suggest giving him some windows of freedom... let him slowly adjust to being openly about in the larger area. Do 15 mins a couple time, then maybe an hour a few times.... work up to the 6 hrs.

Other member will be along with more (better) advice... I am sure
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Take 2Bullymamma's advice lol we just decided one day to leave porky out since she didn't chew things n was housebroke well 1 hr later we came home to our bottom stair chewed up n porky laying there looking at us like "what" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: is it ok to adjust my 8 month old bullys living arrangement to a bigger space?

If he doesn't use the pee pads..throw those suckers away! Jake was about 7 months when he was crate free...now..word of warning...Jake eats everything..so we learned (the hard way) to give him more space...but be careful what is IN that space!!

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by porkysmamma View Post
    well 1 hr later we came home to our bottom stair chewed up n porky laying there looking at us like "what" lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Bulldog is always innocent... it was the cat
    e.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post

Poor innocent kitties.....here kitty kitty kitty!

Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Lmao that would work if she had a kitty to blame here itd be the black bears or pumas lol

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by porkysmamma View Post
    Lmao that would work if she had a kitty to blame here itd be the black bears or pumas lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, a Puma is a kitty!!?? right?
    e.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Yes, give him extra space a little at a time and as @JAKEISGREAT said make sure you bully proof the space!

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frannygirl2010 View Post
    Hello,

Just wanted some opinions from some bully owners regarding my Sammy's living arrangement. So my Sammy is home alone for about 6-6.5 hours aday in his own room since my husband and i live in a two bedroom apt. So we have him in a puppypen that is 5 by 8 ft (toys, water, pee pad included) which practically takes up the whole room bec the rest of the room has the tv and futon so really it fits perfect. So my question is now that he is 8 months old and 50lbs of great health thank g_d, im thinking of opening the puppypen and giving him the luxury of the bedroom plus the open hallway which extends to the front door. So instead of having the puppypen closed like an octagon, i would open it up so he can have more access.....im not sure if he needs more space now that he has grown?

Also, he doesnt use the weepad anymore during the day (since he has aged) and by the last two hours or sometimes in the beginning of the day he destroys it, should i take it out?

just though to ask any opinions on this since i never crated or isolated my pets before because someone was always home.... ty!
    I feel yer pain. It sucks to lock them up. Unfortunately my bulldog is the worst chewer ever, even at 8 months. He's gotten into wires, and have swallowed the most ridiculous things. I have to keep him crated when I'm not home, of which he now has the entire large crate. I know I need to protect him from himself (and everything else from him!) I usually leave him a max of 5 hours once a week. I work from home, so I may put him in there if I need a break or something, else he's with me most of the time.

I think the playpen idea is awesome, and if it's working, I would keep with it. Just give him lots of (safe) toys to entertain him. If you find he's not a chewer and you don't have to watch him when you're home, you're probably safe, but like the above poster, take it slow. Start with a 15/30 minute trip. GOOD LUCK!

Jealous of anyone who doesn't have to watch their bully puppy 24/7.

Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Well, a Puma is a kitty!!?? right?
    Yes lmao a very big scary mean kitty!!!!!! She barks n growls at them but the bears she's afraid of n hides behind me (she's got it backwards lol)

Remove Ads