is it ok to adjust my 8 month old bullys living arrangement to a bigger space?

frannygirl2010

Sep 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy(male)
Hello,

Just wanted some opinions from some bully owners regarding my Sammy's living arrangement. So my Sammy is home alone for about 6-6.5 hours aday in his own room since my husband and i live in a two bedroom apt. So we have him in a puppypen that is 5 by 8 ft (toys, water, pee pad included) which practically takes up the whole room bec the rest of the room has the tv and futon so really it fits perfect. So my question is now that he is 8 months old and 50lbs of great health thank g_d, im thinking of opening the puppypen and giving him the luxury of the bedroom plus the open hallway which extends to the front door. So instead of having the puppypen closed like an octagon, i would open it up so he can have more access.....im not sure if he needs more space now that he has grown?

Also, he doesnt use the weepad anymore during the day (since he has aged) and by the last two hours or sometimes in the beginning of the day he destroys it, should i take it out?

just though to ask any opinions on this since i never crated or isolated my pets before because someone was always home.... ty!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It really is based on your level of trust with him being able to roam freely -- same area or not, they find something to get into. I would suggest giving him some windows of freedom... let him slowly adjust to being openly about in the larger area. Do 15 mins a couple time, then maybe an hour a few times.... work up to the 6 hrs.

Other member will be along with more (better) advice... I am sure

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Take 2Bullymamma's advice lol we just decided one day to leave porky out since she didn't chew things n was housebroke well 1 hr later we came home to our bottom stair chewed up n porky laying there looking at us like "what" lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If he doesn't use the pee pads..throw those suckers away! Jake was about 7 months when he was crate free...now..word of warning...Jake eats everything..so we learned (the hard way) to give him more space...but be careful what is IN that space!! :bang:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
well 1 hr later we came home to our bottom stair chewed up n porky laying there looking at us like "what" lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bulldog is always innocent... it was the cat :giggle:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lmao that would work if she had a kitty to blame here itd be the black bears or pumas lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, a Puma is a kitty!!?? right?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hello,

Just wanted some opinions from some bully owners regarding my Sammy's living arrangement. So my Sammy is home alone for about 6-6.5 hours aday in his own room since my husband and i live in a two bedroom apt. So we have him in a puppypen that is 5 by 8 ft (toys, water, pee pad included) which practically takes up the whole room bec the rest of the room has the tv and futon so really it fits perfect. So my question is now that he is 8 months old and 50lbs of great health thank g_d, im thinking of opening the puppypen and giving him the luxury of the bedroom plus the open hallway which extends to the front door. So instead of having the puppypen closed like an octagon, i would open it up so he can have more access.....im not sure if he needs more space now that he has grown?

Also, he doesnt use the weepad anymore during the day (since he has aged) and by the last two hours or sometimes in the beginning of the day he destroys it, should i take it out?

just though to ask any opinions on this since i never crated or isolated my pets before because someone was always home.... ty!

I feel yer pain. It sucks to lock them up. Unfortunately my bulldog is the worst chewer ever, even at 8 months. He's gotten into wires, and have swallowed the most ridiculous things. I have to keep him crated when I'm not home, of which he now has the entire large crate. I know I need to protect him from himself (and everything else from him!) I usually leave him a max of 5 hours once a week. I work from home, so I may put him in there if I need a break or something, else he's with me most of the time.

I think the playpen idea is awesome, and if it's working, I would keep with it. Just give him lots of (safe) toys to entertain him. If you find he's not a chewer and you don't have to watch him when you're home, you're probably safe, but like the above poster, take it slow. Start with a 15/30 minute trip. GOOD LUCK!

Jealous of anyone who doesn't have to watch their bully puppy 24/7.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.