Need Help/Advice, Please!

nsuojanen

Dec 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Humphrey
Our 10 month old english bulldog, Humphrey, has been pooping in his crate for the past 4 nights. The poop is very runny. He had stopped enjoying his puppy chow as much, so we decided to get him something new about a week ago. I mixed it with his puppy chow like I had done before when we changed his food when we first got him. He seemed to enjoy the new food and was acting completely normal. Well, 4 nights ago we woke up to runny poop in his crate and I thought maybe he was just sick, poor baby. The next night he did it, I thought, well, maybe it's the food so I changed him back to the puppy food. He ate it and enjoyed it like he did when we first gave it to him. Now, he has been back on just his puppy food and he is still having runny poop in his crate in the middle of the night. We feel so bad! He doesn't cry or anything to let us know, he just goes in there!
Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do or what might be wrong? He acts completely normal otherwise. Thank you!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am the queen of runny puppy poop! Bogey has had on and off runny poop since I got him- he is 5 months old now! At the first signs of runny stool: go immediately to a bland diet (boiled hamburger-lean, white rice and a little low sodium broth. ) Add tbsp canned pumpkin(not pie filling) to one meal. Stools should firm up within 24-48 hours. If they don't, he needs a parasite check. They can also pick up bacteria from the soil, esp at doggie parks. If it shows in his stool, the vet will put him on Flagyl which really helps kill the bad bacteria. After 4-5 days of bland diet, THEN you can reintroduce his kibble SLOWLY- I mean take over a week to get back to his normal diet. Once back on that, I start probiotics to help with gettingthe digestive tract healthy. Good luck!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
How much are you feeding, how often and what brand are you feeding???

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Just make sure whenever you do a food switch you do it very slowly, whenever I had to do a food switch I would take about 7-10 days to do a complete switch. 25% new food 75% old food for about 2 or 3 days, then 50% new 50% old for 2 or 3 days, then 75% new and 25% old for 2 or 3 days. If after 2 days on the 25/75 he had firm poops, I would go to the next and so on. Also, like [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] said, bland diet is a life saver! They always enjoy the bland diet and it works wonders for runny poops! Good luck and keep us updated on Humphrey!

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Sounds like maybe a parasite. Tubby was doing the same thing. He never pooped in his crate then little bit of blood and runny poop every where. We took a stool sample to the vet and he was diagnosed with travellers diarrhea, must've been from visiting every one. They put him on meds and within the first day his stool hardened up and was back to normal and he stopped pooping in his crate.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I agree with earlier posts. Make the switch slowly. The advice that [MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] gave about mixing and slowly making the change is excellent. I had a dog once that picked the newer, better food out and left the old! So much for a gradual change. What are you feeding and what are you going to feed?

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Poor little pooch. It takes them a while to learn that if they cry in the crate we will let them out to go potty. Probably because we work so hard to not pay attention to when they cry because just don't wanna be in the crate?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.