Nosy Neighbors

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You are looking at one of those people who sometimes CANNOT KEEP THEIR MOUTH SHUT with regard to other folk's dogs. I am the nosy neighbor! hee hee! It's really rare when I do say anything --- in my neighborhood, it's mostly pampered Pomeranians and Miniature Poodles in little outfits that I encounter on our walks. (There's also two new neighbors; a couple of Pappillions (sp?) that are ADORABLE with those butterfly ears of theirs...) Anyway, I digress.

A gal I see pretty often -- because we walk by her place every single day (she lives next to the park and clubhouse) got herself a rescue and I ran into them walking one day when she'd only had the dog for a day or so. I deduced immediately that the Puggle wasn't aggressive -- just VERY fearful and (instinctually, of course, he IS A DOG after all), the pup reacted by lashing out, barking and growling madly at my dogs --- when we were probably less than ten feet away. The new pup parent reacted by HITTING THE DOG. Um. Yeah. Now, getting all crappy with her, wasn't going to help her or the dog so this is what I did.

I backed up about five feet with my dogs -- who, incidentally, are NOT using their noses like normal dogs and are in all likelihood threatening to this pup -- and that helped calm the Puggle. Then I said, "Well, hitting him isn't the answer." She looked embarrassed. I continued, "My dogs are too close and he is fearful. He's just reacting." We tried to speak for a few more moments but when she couldn't gain control of his behavior, I said, "It's best if we move on. He's too stressed. Best of luck with your new pup. He's adorable." And we left. Even when my dog's rear ends were pointed his way and we were a good 25 feet away, the Puggle didn't stop barking. Tough case.

I ran into this same woman day before yesterday. She was out with the Puggle and was delighted to tell me (we were about 20 feet apart) that she and the dog were in behavior classes and the pup was really improving. At one point, the dog started to react and she squirted him in the face with a water bottle. (This wouldn't have been my choice but hey, what ya gonna do? It did work.) She and I stood there and chatted a bit and the dog sniffed around the grass -- did not bark. I said, "Good for you, getting him into a class!" I was genuinely happy. She said she's seeing progress with his fear issues. (I loved that part) I told her, "Hey, he didn't get to rescue by being the perfect dog; thank you for giving him another chance at a happy life." At this point, he started to flip out again, got another squirt in the mug and they moved on toward her place. She pointed the spray bottle toward my dogs and shouted something like, "Maybe they can be friends someday?!" And her wish is genuine. And I hope so too. That really would be amazing!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yea neighbors can be sticky. you dont want to get into it with them as its a small place but that would irritate me to. i like hhammond response. thank you but she is in good hands and is doing fine.

OP
KelseyandAtticus

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
I understand that bc you legitimately saw a problem....not trying to be conceited but Atticus doesn't have any problems and that's why I get upset. If her advice was genuine and there was realistically a problem I would be appreciative evn if I didn't agree....

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think a lot of people think bulldogs need to be big and round but that is so unhealthy! He looks perfect to me!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.