Poop box.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Us backwards folks use lyme in the outhouses :w00t: it's eats the stuff right up :whistle:

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I think if I had a larger yard this would be great but for now I will just have to keep with the plastic bags and fertilize my garden boxes and grass the usual way. When I am on our land in Texas or Georiga I never worry about it and use something simular to this but in the city we are so close to the neigbors I have no room for anything else. Every inche of our yard is used to full capacity. Besides, with Amber and her master gardening skills I could just see myself if she got into something like this; digging carrots is one thing, digging in poop, hmmmmm.....not so much. lol

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That's very interesting and not something I would have ever thought of doing. We have a trash can outside with a garbage bag in it and in the poop goes until trash day.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Ahh... some friend just told me to be careful when burying bins in the ground as little kids could hide in it! She says to put a clear label on it - DOG POOP or something. LOL!

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Update on the box... 2 weeks later.

It is working as expected. There's some sludge forming in the bottom (as to be expected), but most of it is still gravel.

What I did find out is raw-fed dog poop DO stink. It's just not as strong as kibble-fed. Because, when the poop is on the yard, I don't smell it. But you open the poop box and it knocks you out. LOL. So, I'm going to change the roto-rooter enzyme for the dooley enzyme (advertised as having deodorizers) and see if that makes things better.

Will report back in another 2 weeks.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We had one of the Doggie Dooleys at our other house and it worked pretty well. I have not put one in at this house. We use a regular trash can with a liner and put the poop in that and throw it out once a week with the trash. One of these days, I'll put in another in-ground one. [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] we tried the Dooley enzymes and it still stunk.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
My gift to @JAKEISGREAT today:

My usual method for disposing of dog poop is to put it in a grocery bag and throw it in the trash. Not very "green", I think. Now that my dogs don't poop as much as they used to, I'm going to attempt to save the landfill from having to decompose my many plastic bags and try a poop box.

1363008643_zpsb2ca32a1.jpg

1363008663_zpsa5ee9097.jpg

We'll see how it goes.

Does anybody have some experience with this system?

we tried the tablet system, and it was a BIG MESS and it Failed horribly for 2 dog. I dug a 4 foot deep hole and inserted a piece of 12 inch Diameter PVC Pipe, with LOTS of holes drilled in it - you need to keep water in the 'septic tank' in order to work so we kept it watered, but we noticed it needed less and less water each week. well No :poo: sherlock ! it needed Less water cause it was FILLING WITH :poo: !!!!

Either the Tablets didnt work at all (and they were pricey) or due to our clay soil it wouldnt drain properly - I also kept it far from the house, as it WILL Bring in the flys ! - I also used a drain as a lid, and hot glued screen material, that way the water could get in (rain water) but the flys couldnt. after about 2 months of trying, I stuck the garden hose in it, and ran it for about an hour and totally flushed the system out into the yard when I knew a heavy rain was coming, left the PVC in the ground and filled the S.O.B. in.

I now have a metal galvinzed trashcan that fits a 5 gallon bucket inside) Trashbag, goes in the 5 gallon bucket, bucket goes in the trash can, tight lid on trash can. I pull it out, scoop up the piles every few days, and 1 trashbag vice lots of trashbags. that's the greenest I can do.

Keep us informed how it goes with your system. !

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.