OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm confused. I get that's a garbage can with the bottom cut out? What's with the drain cleaner? That can't be part of the process can it?

Is this a homemade version of the ones you can buy in stores? My husband and I were just looking at a system like this for purchase in Lowes over the weekend. It said you have to buy tablets to be put in it weekly.

Like Doggie Dooley Systems.our house had one when we moved in...but we don't use it! :hmm:

It's exactly a home-made version of the Doggie Dooley. I had one of those things (the pyramid looking one, can't remember the brand name) long time ago when I had 2 dobermans and it worked quite well until the sides caved in. The thing was so flimsy that it only lasted a few months.

The enzymes that come with the dooley is more expensive than the Rid-X and they do the same thing (except the dooley one claims it has a deodorizer). The Roto-Rooter Septic Treatment is the same thing as the Rid-X but is slightly cheaper in my local Wal-mart.

But, regardless of what the dooley instructions say, I dug a thick layer of gravel under the bin (I have 6 inches). I also don't follow dooley instructions about the enzymes. The recommended schedule (from my old pyramid shaped one) is to water once a week and add enzymes once a month. I water every time new poop is added to the bin and put enzymes once a week. I put my bin within reach of a water hose.
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], you can still use a Dooley (or a homemade version) in clay. You just have to dig the hole twice or more deeper than recommended and fill it with gravel. And put the dooley in an area that doesn't get flooded when it rains. And remember to put the enzymes once a week. Or at least a dude at the pit bull forum said his 5 gallon bucket has been working fine in clay for 10 years following that method.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
our dog poop gets composted by Toronto City :) along with everything else organic, gets collected every week (while actual trash only gets collected every other week!)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It's the first time I've heard or seen anything like this, I love it and showed it to Jay (hubby) don't know if we''ll get one, but I'm going to work on it

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
we just have a huge hole dug in the back of the yard (very wooded yard) and I dump it all in that.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
If or when I teach Ace to only poop in a hole I've dug in the ground or a buried bucket I would be the envy of all on EBN

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
If or when I teach Ace to only poop in a hole I've dug in the ground or a buried bucket I would be the envy of all on EBN

LOL! That's for sure!

You know, you can probably accomplish that with the pee pad. Start them off with the pad and move the pad in stages until it gets to the hole then take out the pad and see if he goes in the hole. Maybe...

Now, the next trick is to get him to water it and remember to put enzymes once a week. LOL.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
This is very interesting! I may look into this. Though I'm not in charge of cleaning up doggie :poo: anymore ... I did it ALL at the apartment so hubby gets the job now that we are in our house! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I just walk around the back yard with the hose and recycle mine that way

I'm about to move into my first house with a yard, does soaking the poop really break it down?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm about to move into my first house with a yard, does soaking the poop really break it down?

My experience from watering poop in the bin:
I found out from when I was doing it with kibble-fed dobermans that if the poop dries out then it doesn't break down good enough even after enzymes are added (it starts to form a sludge). So, I always watered it when it was fresh (we picked up poop immediately after the dobies go).

I have raw-fed dogs now and raw-fed poop breaks down on its own if you leave it in the yard. We still pick it up immediately after the dogs go though because of the health risks of having kids playing in the yard but I was curious about it when I started feeding raw that I left poop out to see what would happen. It turned crumbly after 3 days and started to blend in with the yard so I picked it up then (actually, it was the longest I can stand not to pick it up). Raw-fed poop are smaller poop so I put the poop in the bin, and blast it with the water hose on jet. I've only put one poop each from my dogs on it so far and the poop basically disappeared down the gravel after I blasted it with the hose. I'll report back in a week to see how it is going.

Dog poop/pee is a grass killer. I have a video out here of my backyard and you can see the weeds starting to overtake the grass because the grass is too weak from getting pee'd on. So, my hubby always tells me - water the pee/poo area after the dogs go... but I have been lazy with it because it's such a pain having to unroll the water hose and it eventually gets watered 2x a week with the automatic sprinkler.... but, from the looks of my yard, it's too late by then.

Last edited:

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Dog poop/pee is a grass killer. I have a video out here of my backyard and you can see the weeds starting to overtake the grass because the grass is too weak from getting pee'd on. So, my hubby always tells me - water the pee/poo area after the dogs go... but I have been lazy with it because it's such a pain having to unroll the water hose and it eventually gets watered 2x a week with the automatic sprinkler.... but, from the looks of my yard, it's too late by then.

I noticed macks pee spot at the common area at the apartment is totally dead, but I thought one of the benefits of apple cider vinegar was balancing the pH of urine and it wouldn't kill the grass...didn't work... I guess at the house I should get that collapsable hose...

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon

We don't have any children yet so that isn't an issue with us. I literally walk around the yard with the hose and blast it into oblivion and we haven't had any issues. Obviously I haven't been able to do that during the winter but with all the snow melting and refreezing most of them just broke down on their own. He does have day setup with an outside kennel that I have to clean up, but I just bring the main trash in the back and throw it right in there.

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, talking of snow... the enzymes do not work below 40-degrees... so if you're in the freeze-zones, the bin won't decompose in winter.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Oh, talking of snow... the enzymes do not work below 40-degrees... so if you're in the freeze-zones, the bin won't decompose in winter.

Eww, does it catch up quick enough in the spring?

OP
anatess

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Eww, does it catch up quick enough in the spring?

I don't know... I can't find any talk about it on google. We don't get snow here so I didn't worry overmuch about it.

I did find Snohomish County local government saying bad things about any other pet waste system besides throwing it in the trash for the Snohomish County to pick up and deposit in landfills. I didn't pay heed to it as I also found that several areas (like Surrey in the UK) do not allow people to throw pet waste in with the trash due to the methane gas it can produce in the landfills. So, it's a toss-up.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.