Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poop box.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Poop box.

Quote Originally Posted by Noyes27 View Post
    I'm about to move into my first house with a yard, does soaking the poop really break it down?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
    My experience from watering poop in the bin:
    I found out from when I was doing it with kibble-fed dobermans that if the poop dries out then it doesn't break down good enough even after enzymes are added (it starts to form a sludge). So, I always watered it when it was fresh (we picked up poop immediately after the dobies go).

I have raw-fed dogs now and raw-fed poop breaks down on its own if you leave it in the yard. We still pick it up immediately after the dogs go though because of the health risks of having kids playing in the yard but I was curious about it when I started feeding raw that I left poop out to see what would happen. It turned crumbly after 3 days and started to blend in with the yard so I picked it up then (actually, it was the longest I can stand not to pick it up). Raw-fed poop are smaller poop so I put the poop in the bin, and blast it with the water hose on jet. I've only put one poop each from my dogs on it so far and the poop basically disappeared down the gravel after I blasted it with the hose. I'll report back in a week to see how it is going.

Dog poop/pee is a grass killer. I have a video out here of my backyard and you can see the weeds starting to overtake the grass because the grass is too weak from getting pee'd on. So, my hubby always tells me - water the pee/poo area after the dogs go... but I have been lazy with it because it's such a pain having to unroll the water hose and it eventually gets watered 2x a week with the automatic sprinkler.... but, from the looks of my yard, it's too late by then.
    Last edited by anatess; 03-12-2013 at 09:56 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Nikki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Dog poop/pee is a grass killer. I have a video out here of my backyard and you can see the weeds starting to overtake the grass because the grass is too weak from getting pee'd on. So, my hubby always tells me - water the pee/poo area after the dogs go... but I have been lazy with it because it's such a pain having to unroll the water hose and it eventually gets watered 2x a week with the automatic sprinkler.... but, from the looks of my yard, it's too late by then.
    I noticed macks pee spot at the common area at the apartment is totally dead, but I thought one of the benefits of apple cider vinegar was balancing the pH of urine and it wouldn't kill the grass...didn't work... I guess at the house I should get that collapsable hose...

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

I'm about to move into my first house with a yard, does soaking the poop really break it down?

We don't have any children yet so that isn't an issue with us. I literally walk around the yard with the hose and blast it into oblivion and we haven't had any issues. Obviously I haven't been able to do that during the winter but with all the snow melting and refreezing most of them just broke down on their own. He does have day setup with an outside kennel that I have to clean up, but I just bring the main trash in the back and throw it right in there.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Oh, talking of snow... the enzymes do not work below 40-degrees... so if you're in the freeze-zones, the bin won't decompose in winter.

Real Name
    Nikki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Oh, talking of snow... the enzymes do not work below 40-degrees... so if you're in the freeze-zones, the bin won't decompose in winter.
    Eww, does it catch up quick enough in the spring?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Eww, does it catch up quick enough in the spring?

I don't know... I can't find any talk about it on google. We don't get snow here so I didn't worry overmuch about it.

I did find Snohomish County local government saying bad things about any other pet waste system besides throwing it in the trash for the Snohomish County to pick up and deposit in landfills. I didn't pay heed to it as I also found that several areas (like Surrey in the UK) do not allow people to throw pet waste in with the trash due to the methane gas it can produce in the landfills. So, it's a toss-up.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Us backwards folks use lyme in the outhouses it's eats the stuff right up
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

I think if I had a larger yard this would be great but for now I will just have to keep with the plastic bags and fertilize my garden boxes and grass the usual way. When I am on our land in Texas or Georiga I never worry about it and use something simular to this but in the city we are so close to the neigbors I have no room for anything else. Every inche of our yard is used to full capacity. Besides, with Amber and her master gardening skills I could just see myself if she got into something like this; digging carrots is one thing, digging in poop, hmmmmm.....not so much. lol

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

That's very interesting and not something I would have ever thought of doing. We have a trash can outside with a garbage bag in it and in the poop goes until trash day.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Ahh... some friend just told me to be careful when burying bins in the ground as little kids could hide in it! She says to put a clear label on it - DOG POOP or something. LOL!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Update on the box... 2 weeks later.

It is working as expected. There's some sludge forming in the bottom (as to be expected), but most of it is still gravel.

What I did find out is raw-fed dog poop DO stink. It's just not as strong as kibble-fed. Because, when the poop is on the yard, I don't smell it. But you open the poop box and it knocks you out. LOL. So, I'm going to change the roto-rooter enzyme for the dooley enzyme (advertised as having deodorizers) and see if that makes things better.

Will report back in another 2 weeks.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We had one of the Doggie Dooleys at our other house and it worked pretty well. I have not put one in at this house. We use a regular trash can with a liner and put the poop in that and throw it out once a week with the trash. One of these days, I'll put in another in-ground one. @anatess we tried the Dooley enzymes and it still stunk.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads