Roxy is a Breed-ist...

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
So Roxy has never been that great with other dogs. She usually tolerates them for a few minutes and then will snap, or become irritated or frustrated with them and stop behaving herself entirely.

However, the other day two of the other three bulldogs in our building were outside socializing, and Jeff was taking her to pee. Walking by them was somewhat unavoidable, so he took her kinda warily by them.

Well, Roxy was an ANGEL. One of the bullies is a baby named Gus and the other is an adult male named Dozer. She was actually happy to be around others of her own breed and behaved herself like there was nothing even going on. She actually seemed to enjoy being around them!

I'm starting to think maybe she's a breedist. She has little to no tolerance for other dogs EXCEPT for bulldogs. Is this common? Or if not, any idea why this might be?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Bulldogs like their own kind. I always thought it was because they get "bad" vibes off other breed dogs. Most other breed dogs are leery of Bulldogs!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interesting..... I know they are aware of the looks of other dogs, but not sure if they are 'breedist'.... Banks does have issue with breeds with long hair especially if she can not see their eyes.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I read somewhere other dogs have a wary approach of bulldogs because they greet different to other dogs due to them not having a long snout. They have a more in your face approach because they have to get close to sniff.. So it may be Roxy picks up the bad vibes from other dogs causing her to snap? I dont know how true it all is but i read it not so long ago! Meeko loves all dogs but he does go crazy if he meets another bully like theyr his long lost friends!!

I wonder if a breed-ist dog could be possible though? My friend does have a racist dog !! She will bark and growl at any black dogs no matter of the size or breed. She also does the same to black people she growls and snaps at them. She hates my partner and wont let him in their house at all. Even when she is shut out the garden she keeps barking growling and showing teeth through the glass doors. But to other colour dogs and white people she is an angel.. So loving and affectionate! X

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Winston hasn't met a dog he didn't like. Or a person for that matter. He gets along with everyone, even cats!

He gets along with other animals so well, that a week or two ago I had to scoop him up and run for the door with him because he didn't recognize that there was a pitbull charging full speed at him from across the street, growling. He thought the puppy wanted to play. Mommy and Daddy nearly had a heartattack, as did the pitty's parents.

I scooped him up and ran, Daddy stood his ground and yelled at the charging dog, neighbors were yelling... poor pitty got about five feet from our sidewalk, did a total 180 with her tail tucked between her legs, and ran back home.

I don't know if she was trying to attack, was excited and wanted to meet Winston, or was after one of the cats outside. I'll never know. I just know it was the third time Winston has been out when a loose pitty came after him. I have nightmares now, and the sight of a loose pitbull in our neighborhood makes me panic.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have seen this at Bullympics. A South Fl meet up. They all got along except for when a NON-bully came by, then there was all kind of barking. It was real funny and so many people commented on it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We live in a very dog friendly neighborhood in Manhattan. We started taking Blue out a little over a week ago. Like Winston, [MENTION=7307]Tracy T[/MENTION] dog, Blue adores everyone; people and dogs. He hasn't met a breed or size he doesn't like.
His best pal is our neighbors Labradoodle who towers over Blue.

So I'm thinking it's just Roxy's personality. Could also be how much your've socialized her. Does she constantly have other dogs around her everytime you go out? I think that makes a huge difference.

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
I read somewhere other dogs have a wary approach of bulldogs because they greet different to other dogs due to them not having a long snout. They have a more in your face approach because they have to get close to sniff.. So it may be Roxy picks up the bad vibes from other dogs causing her to snap? I dont know how true it all is but i read it not so long ago! Meeko loves all dogs but he does go crazy if he meets another bully like theyr his long lost friends!!

The trainer who ran the Puppy Playtime class we went too said the same thing. Lil Henry loves every person and dog. But other breeds don't know what to think of Henry and don't seem to appreciate his in your face style of getting to know them.
-I'm very leery of letting Henry romp around with any other dogs in my apt complex. There owners are always like, "don't worry, she/he is really nice. As soon as they say that, there dogs starts to become agitated and i intervene and take Henry out of the situation. At puppy playtime, i feel comfortable because the trainers are very much in control of the situation and know what to look for before they intervene. That has been extremely helpful when Henry comes in contact with other dogs around my apt.
-I'm so thankful to have the Bulldog meetup group. All the bullies are so good to one another and the owners keep a watchful eye on all the dogs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah loves all people doesnt matter who or what she loves them dogs well not so much. the older she gets the more it seems to be so to. it used to just be big dogs she didnt like n others well some she did some she didnt. i just keep her away from all dogs when im out as she has snapped at a couple at the vets n one she took a chunk out of his nose and he was just sitting there doing nothing. i get afraid of someone making me put her down or something so i just keep her away from other dogs now. she even get mad at the bostons to for some reason now. not sure bout other bullies as i dont know anyone with one.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is a people princess, is passive yet nervous around other dogs. She does seem calmer in the company of other bully's though than other dogs in general. And because we feel she needs to have her routine varied now and then to keep her from getting to a point where anything new or different scares her so much we take her to all the bully meetups we can. She does very well. mostly follows me around, but occasionally will show some interest in whoever is close by and sniff. She doesn't show any interest in actually playing with the others though.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have found this with Lola as well she HATES boxers but does very well around other bulldogs and she tolerated my aunts lab pretty good. I think they do get along with their own kid better because they greet each other the same way. And they are not snobs they just know their breed is:D superior!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon loves everyone but we have found that small dogs do not like him at all. He does especially love playing with other bullies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.