not sure how much more i can take..!!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meekos getting on my last nerve! Ever since he got neutered hes become a complete night mare. Before we got him done we had no problems he didnt chew, hump, he was fully house trained and we were working on his only listening when it suited him.
the only reason we chose to neuter him a month ago (on 6th feb) was to reduce risk of cancer and as people were saying its better to get him done before he starts humping and learning the bad habit.

Since being neutered hes started chewing any time i leave the house (even if my partner is only upstairs and ive left the house.) like earlier i went around the shop litrally not even 5mins. The hubby was upstairs with the baby and Meeko chewed a bag.
Hes become boisterous we have had to stop playin with him because he really pushes his weight around and its not like playing anymore he will litrally pin you down if your led on the floor.
Hes started weeing (not always but now and again) even though he was fully house trained before. And hes become very ignorant and does what he wants when he wants.
He jumps up on people that come in the house and wont listen to a word i say even though before neutering i only had to tell him 'bed' and he would lay down calm and leave the people be.

I really regret getting him neutered he is a completely different dog in a bad way not good. I know part of it is to do with hormones but i dont know how much more i can take and i dont believe all of this is hormone related. Im going back over all of the same training as we originally did but this time it doesnt seem to be working.
What can i do? And how long is this going to last? Im so frustrated :( i just want my old, well behaved Meeko back

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Go back to step one in training. Aubie went through a phase recently where she peed on our BED two days in a row, ate a half a DVD, and was just being a brat. We brought her crate back out and started back at step one for a week. It only took one week and she's back to normal now. I really think it may just be them testing their limits because once we showed her we wouldn't put up with it, she behaved again.

Crate him when you can't watch him. Put him in "time out" if he gets rough and rowdy. Take him out regularly and praise just like he was a young pup again. It works, just be consistent!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ive never been through this so have no seasoned advice. When we had our Maltese neutered he didn't manifest any drastic changes other than he quit marking in the house. But if its any consolation many bulldogs have been neutered and turned out fine. It may have set him back but with love and consistence I'm sure he will turn around. Some others here may have noticed somewhat similar changes when they had their males neutered. They will wade in perhaps and give you some seasoned advice. Have you spoken with your vet. Surely they have seen similar issues and perhaps can recommend some help

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I think some of it as timing, and the hormone change may have just brought it on a little sooner. They all go through the "teenager" phase, as we call it, to were they seem like they have forgotten all their training. Some worse than others. The hormone change will last a month or so where they go a little bonkers. Buddy was 3 years old when we had him neutered. At first he got a little aggressive, then he went into a "puppy" stage, where he just wanted to play all the time. That lasted about a couple months or so. He is back to his normal lovable self now. So just be patient and start the basic training over again, he will get back to normal before you know it.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I have had 6 male Bulldogs neutered and have not gone through any personality, training, behavior changes from the surgery. Definitely talk to your vet about it and start over from square one with the training.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with above....go back to step one. One thing to understand is..this wasn't ALL caused by the neutering. There are periods where they just revert back to puppyhood and act out. It can manifest itself in lots of ways. But..he is testing you now and it appears winning! This is the time you show him you are the leader. Put him on a leash in the house. At the slightest hint of misbehavior..gently correct it with a tug on the leash and a firm NO. Make him follow you wherever you go. Don't play with him until he realizes his boundaries. Feed him by hand. You go first through any doorways and outside. Correct any and all misbehavior quickly and consistently. Don't worry if you are sounding too stern. He needs to refind his place in the pack. It won't take too long. But if you don't do it now...your sweet MEEKO will be a monster!

But..just know..MEEKO is still MEEKO! He needs YOU to show him the way! :hug:

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with above....go back to step one. One thing to understand is..this wasn't ALL caused by the neutering. There are periods where they just revert back to puppyhood and act out. It can manifest itself in lots of ways. But..he is testing you now and it appears winning! This is the time you show him you are the leader. Put him on a leash in the house. At the slightest hint of misbehavior..gently correct it with a tug on the leash and a firm NO. Make him follow you wherever you go. Don't play with him until he realizes his boundaries. Feed him by hand. You go first through any doorways and outside. Correct any and all misbehavior quickly and consistently. Don't worry if you are sounding too stern. He needs to refind his place in the pack. It won't take too long. But if you don't do it now...your sweet MEEKO will be a monster!

But..just know..MEEKO is still MEEKO! He needs YOU to show him the way! :hug:

Could not have said it any better, :bravo:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
Roxy is still not spayed, and she reverted back to puppyhood recently as well. She forgot she was housetrained, peed on the furniture and the bed, would cry and whine and demand attention all the time, jump up on people and hump legs.

We've reverted back to re-training her not to do these things and she is making solid progress. Like others have said, it might not have to do with the neutering at all. Perhaps he's just being a teenager and needs to be reminded of the things he is not supposed to be doing. It seems to be working for Roxy so it might work for you. :)

I love this site. So many people here with so much experience. I'm moderately experienced myself (having had a bully before Roxy) but my knowledge pales in comparison to most of the experts here. :D

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I can always rely on you all for great help and advice. He is 8months so maybe its hormones & teenage years. Iv woke up with a strict approach today. He WILL learn and any step out of line he will be made to stay in his bed (we dont have a crate). I want my baby back and i WILL get what i want :rofl:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo turned two last month. He's always been a challenge -- behaviorally speaking --- but in the last week or so, Mr. Maniac. Bo knows who the pack leader is around here, believe me, but he has been pushing EVERY POSSIBLE LIMIT. It's easy to get frustrated but I know that undermines what I am trying to accomplish. Dogs do not follow an unstable leader (only humans do --what a surprise) so my job is to be as calm and assertive as possible and not allow him to break my patience boundary!

It feels REALLY GOOD when you make it thru something super stressful by the way without becoming frustrated. Yesterday, my buddy Hailey stopped by with her boy, Jack; the biggest, blondest Chow Chow you've ever seen. Bo was a JERK. He couldn't just hang out at the park with Jack (Like his sister Bea was doing)...oh no. He had to "charge" Jack and then every time try to put his head on Jack's shoulder -- dominance thing. Meanwhile, I am trying to visit with my friend who I've not seen in some time and we had a lot to talk about! LOL I managed -- without becoming frustrated --- and it felt really GREAT. Bo's behavior did not improve that much during the visit really BUT I was able to display unwavering leadership and THAT will be the lesson remembered (for us both) and will affect future challenges.

Meeko's neuter has absolutely NOTHING to do with his behavior right now. He's a growing boy, entering his "teen years" and he's only been on the planet for less than 12 months! He's looking to you for leadership and patience and both (and a little time and effort, of course) will get you exactly the dog you want in the end. I promise!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Meeko's neuter has absolutely NOTHING to do with his behavior right now. He's a growing boy, entering his "teen years" and he's only been on the planet for less than 12 months! He's looking to you for leadership and patience and both (and a little time and effort, of course) will get you exactly the dog you want in the end. I promise!

^^^^ so true! Go back to basic training... and look up 'Nothing in Life is Free' on the internet. Great training to follow

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
The update and good news is im trying to put everything everyone has said into training and its working. Its day 2 or 3 and im noticing a difference. Heres a few things ive strongly put into place..

Ive been making him sit and wait or do paw when i put his breakfast down (i cant hand feed as he has wet food for breakfast)
Instead of him jumpin up on the bed / sofa i make sure he sits and waits until he is invited up.
Coming up/down stairs i make him wait until ive gone up/down and the stairway is clear for him to go AFTER me.
Playing is band at the moment if he wants a mad half hour he can with his kong toy but me & hubby do not play with him for now.
Fusses - he only has a fuss now if we sit on the floor and we make him lay down next to us (not on us!)
We have been making him go to bed to calm down and yesterday he even went into bed just to lay down quiet by himself !
He also got put to the test yesterday as we had a visitor and even though i had to do it about 10 times making him lay down quiet in bed.. He eventually gave up and stayed there.
Im refusing to get frustrated now im not giving in to him and hes definately not going to be boss around here!
Ooh ive also been out yesterday for a few hours and he didnt chew anything yay :-) xx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The update and good news is im trying to put everything everyone has said into training and its working. Its day 2 or 3 and im noticing a difference. Heres a few things ive strongly put into place..

Ive been making him sit and wait or do paw when i put his breakfast down (i cant hand feed as he has wet food for breakfast)
Instead of him jumpin up on the bed / sofa i make sure he sits and waits until he is invited up.
Coming up/down stairs i make him wait until ive gone up/down and the stairway is clear for him to go AFTER me.
Playing is band at the moment if he wants a mad half hour he can with his kong toy but me & hubby do not play with him for now.
Fusses - he only has a fuss now if we sit on the floor and we make him lay down next to us (not on us!)
We have been making him go to bed to calm down and yesterday he even went into bed just to lay down quiet by himself !
He also got put to the test yesterday as we had a visitor and even though i had to do it about 10 times making him lay down quiet in bed.. He eventually gave up and stayed there.
Im refusing to get frustrated now im not giving in to him and hes definately not going to be boss around here!
Ooh ive also been out yesterday for a few hours and he didnt chew anything yay :-) xx

Nice work... stay strong and consistent. And be sure everyone in the house is on the same page with the triaining. Banks is 7+ yrs old and we STILL have to keep her in check everyday.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Great to hear, and I'm sure Meeko is picking up on your lack of frustration so he's not feeding off of it. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online