rawhide bones

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
rawhide bones ... is it true they cant have them? I have a friend that has a bulldog and she said thay can't have them .. thanks

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is true, no rawhides, bully sticks, pig ears, and I don't even give them cow hooves. Nylabones, Kongs, hard rubber toys, Elk antlers, are about all we suggest giving them.

OP
pinkbully

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
thanks so much .. she is new to a bully pup too. so i was making she thanks

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
rawhide bones ... is it true they cant have them? I have a friend that has a bulldog and she said thay can't have them .. thanks
Rawhide, including pressed rawhide are very dangerous for any dog. Sure most will be just fine, or their owners will never actually know a piece got lodge to the roof of their mouth. The the most dangerous for bullies due to the way a bully's mouth (throat) is constructed. Open your bully's mouth and look how it closes at the throat. Now open another dog's mouth and look at that nice opening you'll see. I used to give my pitties compressed rawhide. I cant' emphasis enough how many times I had to reach in for my fore finger and literally unlodged a large gummy piece that was stuck to the roof of their mouth. I knew they were bad in that way but Ace just loved them so I would supervise. Supervising only allowed me the opportunity to get a piece out.

Last edited:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Rawhide in any shape form... NO WAY... personally for me, this includes ANY Dog !

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont feed rawhides either. i used to give them to sarah n my bostons before i knew better. she would constantly choke on them when eating even when i was watching her. i went through several before i found one that didnt do that. i have deer antlers and their kinda bored with them to so i have nylabone teeth cleaners i give her instead.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi again :hiya:. If my post came off as harsh it sure wasn't intended that way. I was just sharing my thoughts out loud as if we were talking face-to-face. I probably needed a bit more coffee! :D

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It is true, no rawhides, bully sticks, pig ears, and I don't even give them cow hooves. Nylabones, Kongs, hard rubber toys, Elk antlers, are about all we suggest giving them.

Exactly what David said except we don't even let Ruggles have elk antlers because our vet warned us about the sharp shards that a strong chewer (Ruggles) can swallow.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Rawhide in any shape form... NO WAY... personally for me, this includes ANY Dog !

I agree! Rawhide chews are processed with chemicals you don't want to give your dog. They are difficult if not impossible to digest. They can not only pose a choking hazard, but can cause intestinal blockage. :nope:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7915]heavyblankets[/MENTION] bully sticks are bad too. Chocking hazard.

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Bully sticks under supervision is okay if you ask me. Everything my little vacuum cleaner puts in his mouth is a "choking hazard". Just toss the bully stick when it gets to small and don't let them have it when you are not around. Still too scared of rawhide though.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Just addin a note ... Meeko found a rawhide just once! It was my sisters huskies chewy that she had hidden . Meeko found it and ate it. I knew nothing about it until he started backwards sneezing for about 24hrs went off his food and vommitted everywhere.. He also vomitted up the chew stick completely whole with just a few nibble marks on the end. We were very lucky.

Since then ive warned my sister how dangerous they are with chemicala etc and she no longer give them to her dogs.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.