Thread: rawhide bones

Pet Sitter
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Luca Brasi
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: rawhide bones

Bully sticks under supervision is okay if you ask me. Everything my little vacuum cleaner puts in his mouth is a "choking hazard". Just toss the bully stick when it gets to small and don't let them have it when you are not around. Still too scared of rawhide though.

If my dog doesn't doesnt go to heaven then neither am I.

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

As everyone else said, no rawhide for bullies. Tilly gets antlers and raw marrow bones.

Real Name
    Tasha
    Country
    Wales
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meeko
    Likes (Received)

Just addin a note ... Meeko found a rawhide just once! It was my sisters huskies chewy that she had hidden . Meeko found it and ate it. I knew nothing about it until he started backwards sneezing for about 24hrs went off his food and vommitted everywhere.. He also vomitted up the chew stick completely whole with just a few nibble marks on the end. We were very lucky.

Since then ive warned my sister how dangerous they are with chemicala etc and she no longer give them to her dogs.
    Xx.Demari-Jay & Meeko.xX

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

I agree with everyone's sentiment regarding rawhide, if you actually read how they are made you wouldn't want to give it to your bully.

Real Name
    Adam & Jen
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Same as post #9...used to give Winston elk antler until he swallowed a shard, a very small one too. He got very sick and didn't poop for three days...didn't want to eat. Once he passed it he was fine but I don't ever want to go through that again.
    Last edited by adamslater; 03-14-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to use with quote

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    @heavyblankets bully sticks are bad too. Chocking hazard.
    To be fair, it totally depends on the dog. You know me more than anyone will never give a bully stick to my bulldog again. (My bully (Remi) is ridiculous and swallowed an entire 1 foot bully stick. There is a thread somewhere I made. I was fortunate to be able to find the last inch in his mouth and pull the whole thing out.) Remi has this strange oral obsession that I think is excessive even for a bulldog. Some breeds may handle one of these fine, but whatever new toys you give your bully, you just really have to supervise. He is now able to handle things he couldn't before when he was younger, so it could be an age thing as well. If your bulldog gags when chewing on toys and such, that's a sure sign he can't handle it. I'm not going to sit there and say it's off the market for everyone like rawhides. But eventually you will come to terms on risk vs. reward.

Here are some things we think are tried and true:

Antlers (though to be honest Remi does ignore them most of the time)
    Ever lasting treat ball in vanilla mint (because Remi is allergic to beef/chicken)
    kong toys that we fill with healthy treats
    beef marrow - awesome, but messy (worked awesome with Remi, until we realized he was allergic)
    Water bottle toys. HUGE hit in our house, but you have to supervise with the stuffed animals.
    Stuffed animals. Remi doesn't destroy them like some bullies do, but we get the stuffingless or ultra durable ones.

Hope this helps!!

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

hi......i posted this on bulldog health i thought, but it's not there, so reposting here......i see where some give nylabones to their bullies, i do also but notice where it says that small rice size pieces can come off while chewing, this makes me uneasy , then i read reviews other places telling these horrible stories about how nyla bones cause problems with their dogs....my bulldog loves them so much......but want to make sure i'm doing the right thing by letting him have them. thanks

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Never, Ever give your bully rawhides, not only for allergy reason's, they just are not safe!! they get chewy and slimy and your bully can swallow and choke!! Just a reminder!!

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

** Just a reminder**

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads