HELP!!! Took My English Bulldog Kimbo On A Walk And He Started Throwing Up

KimboAndSean

Feb 24, 2013
California
Bulldog(s) Names
kimbo
I took my english bulldog for a walk, (i am not sure how long/far/distance the walk was) but on the way back home, he didnt want to walk anymore, he also started breathing really hard (as if he was running when we play in my backyard) and he would just lay down and not want to walk anymore. so i went at his pace and he would walk a little more, than stop and rest, and walk a little more again.

After a while he stopped, and started throwing up (which looked like foam) and he threw up a large amount. i had to have my gf rush over to me to pick me and kimbo up in my car and when we got home, he jumped in my pool and than went to his water bowl to drink.

I dried him off and had him with me all night watching him to make sure he is ok. he slept great, wanted to play around, jumped up on my bed and laid with me, everything was back to normal.

does anyone know what caused this, or has anyone had the same experience?

thanks for all your help and advice!!

-Sean.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hope im right but it might be you walked him too far. Its to do with their breathig issues and over heating. Because u say it was like foam it sounds like where he was breathing heavily the saliva gathered up making him vomit. Try not to walk so far and walk him slowly EBs dont need very long walks especially if its hot weather as they over heat easily.

Keep lemon juice (the ones in the yellow lemon shaped bottles not sure of the make) with you because when the saliva gathers like that it can become serious and dangerous blocking their air ways. If you squirt a bit of lemon juice it separates all the saliva helpig your bully to breathe a bit better. Also dont feed him when hes like this as it makes the vomiting worse and do not let him over drink water as it can make him vomit more. Make him lay down calm keep him cool and make sure he can breathe easily (using lemon juice if needed) & keep a close eye on him until he calms down and breathing is back to normal xxx

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I agree, he most likely over heated. I wouldn't let him drink so much next time (hope there never is a next time though!). We have recently moved from cool WA state to IL so they are in for a rude shock this summer. It will be potty on a leash, do your bizy, and right back in the house during the day. No romping, no fun, but I'm mommy so isn't that my job to take away their fun times??:tongue:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Glad he's okay now. I'm sure the pool cooled him right down. Shorter walks for sure and only at the coolest parts of the day.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
All great advice above by everyone , and Meekosmummy is right, about walking him too far, and him overheating. Bullies don't tolerate extreme temperatures very well, very hot or very cold. Last summer we had temperatures in the 30s C range all summer it was very hot here from about April right through to September. We couldn't take them out during the day, just quickly for their duties, and then back in the air conditioning. We would take them down to the park early in the mornings, and let them run for about 15 or 20 mins when it was cool, and then again in the evenings after dinner around 6 or 7. The only thing I would add is be careful how much water he drinks after exercise or eating as bullies can also get bloat which can also be fatal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with all the others... he was over-heated.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.