tail chasing

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meeks keeps chasing his tail and trying to bite at it as if its irritating him. At first it was only now and again but now its allll the time. He hasnt got worms hes up to date with wormers. Ots not fleas hes up to date with fleas and ive checked him thoroughly a few times each day for any sign of flea dirt etc. Theres no dry or soar skin under his furr on the tail. I dont know what else it could be? Hes doing it now as if its really bothering him not as if its just a game of chase the tail. He tries his best to try and reach it to bite at it x

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Are you familiar with the anal glands and their need to be expressed? I wonder if it is related to that.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I have no idea about anal glands. His butt looks normal and he doesnt smell and hes going to poo easily and often

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I think he might have one im not sure if its the same thing or not but i think youv helped me find the issue. His tail is quite long and i lifted it right up as far as possible and at the very top theres a little fold that was quite dirty when i wet wiped it. After cleaning it theres a small sore in the folded skin and when i touched it meeko was far from happy. Ive cleaned it now with some antiseptic wipes and then put some of DJs sudocream on it until i can get to the pet store and find something else. Poor meeko x

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Yeh it came off reddish brown when i cleaned him i thort it could of been blood though. Il get him some caneston today and use that. Hes still trying to get at it so the sudocreams not working too well. Where would i be without all ur help :muah2: thankyou so much xx

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Miss Tallulah had a similar problem. I had to clean the tail pocket daily and absolutely had to make sure I dried it with clean cotton pads after I cleaned it. Eventually for her, it because so irritated I had to get anti fungal creme from the vet. It helped a lot. Then when she turned one she was whining a lot and rocking on her bum. I would clean her pocket and she would be OK for 5-6 hours then start again. I thought maybe her anal glands were giving her trouble so checked with the vet and he did a digital exam and discovered her tail was quite inverted. It happens occasionally and to varying degrees. So he recommended amputation. I was totally stunned and heartbroken and talked to folks on EBN about what to do and expect and learned that when it is as bad as it was for Miss T it is wise to remove it. She has been pain free and her bottom is so easy to clean now even though it looks a little odd with no tail. The reason I am telling my story is to say please monitor and have a chat with your vet if it doesn't seem to get better with your careful attention to the tail pocket. It is rare but worth being aware of for the comfort of you Bully. And the folks on EBN have so much experience when you need help sorting things out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Miss Tallulah had a similar problem. I had to clean the tail pocket daily and absolutely had to make sure I dried it with clean cotton pads after I cleaned it. Eventually for her, it because so irritated I had to get anti fungal creme from the vet. It helped a lot. Then when she turned one she was whining a lot and rocking on her bum. I would clean her pocket and she would be OK for 5-6 hours then start again. I thought maybe her anal glands were giving her trouble so checked with the vet and he did a digital exam and discovered her tail was quite inverted. It happens occasionally and to varying degrees. So he recommended amputation. I was totally stunned and heartbroken and talked to folks on EBN about what to do and expect and learned that when it is as bad as it was for Miss T it is wise to remove it. She has been pain free and her bottom is so easy to clean now even though it looks a little odd with no tail. The reason I am telling my story is to say please monitor and have a chat with your vet if it doesn't seem to get better with your careful attention to the tail pocket. It is rare but worth being aware of for the comfort of you Bully. And the folks on EBN have so much experience when you need help sorting things out.

Something with Banks... but we have been very lucky in being aboe to keep her clean. The only time it REALLY bothers her is when her allergies are in hihg gear.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.