Broken canine

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Anyone ever see this? Titan and jameson were playing last night and their heads smacked. Just notices titans top canine is broken. It looks like the nerve is showing. He will see vet tonight. But how do they fix this?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bummer, let us know how it goes.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Anyone ever see this? Titan and jameson were playing last night and their heads smacked. Just notices titans top canine is broken. It looks like the nerve is showing. He will see vet tonight. But how do they fix this?

ouch!!! let us know how they fix the poor fellas tooth please , jeesh

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Mack came to us with his bottom canine already broken, and the vet wasn't concerned with it when we did our first visit...and it had never seemed to be an issue yet

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
OP
nyerathrt

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Yeah they gave us three options...we are going with the wait and see...he is on antibiotics to prevent infection and pain killers...the infection is the really only concern. They said the tooth shoul die in the next day or so...once that happens he will feel fine...it might not bother him after that. If they need to extract the tooth they can but honestly they have to slice up the gums and dig and file...they said once it is dead and if he isnt bothered then we leave it...the other option a root canal but it would cost several thousand to do. But would save the tooth...sean says he is fine with him missing it...it is a top canine so u wont reaslly see it...can u imagine him it being his bottom? His tooth smile would look ridiculous.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awwww poor guy. How is it broken, in half, at gum line? I'd be inclined to have it pulled myself. I would think he'd be just fine without the top canine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah they gave us three options...we are going with the wait and see...he is on antibiotics to prevent infection and pain killers...the infection is the really only concern. They said the tooth shoul die in the next day or so...once that happens he will feel fine...it might not bother him after that. If they need to extract the tooth they can but honestly they have to slice up the gums and dig and file...they said once it is dead and if he isnt bothered then we leave it...the other option a root canal but it would cost several thousand to do. But would save the tooth...sean says he is fine with him missing it...it is a top canine so u wont reaslly see it...can u imagine him it being his bottom? His tooth smile would look ridiculous.

I would probably have the tooth removed

OP
nyerathrt

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
broken from the sharp point up probably about 1/4 inch....leaving what the vet called pulp barely showing...
removing the tooth requires similar to our wisdom teeth being pulled. they cut the gums up and take the tooth and grind down parts...evidently their canines go quite far up...it's not a simple tooth pull....plus it's 500 bucks :eek:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is cost the factor that you don't want to have it pulled or can the tooth medically stay in there without him having pain. Dogs are great at masking their pain. I just think that having it pulled now will save $$ in the long run. I'd ask the vet if there's a chance of his pain becoming acute and more major down the road. Early intervention is best, imo.

OP
nyerathrt

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
No cost isnt the issue. The vet said many dog have no problems with them after they die. There are several that they know that have broken them and once they died they didnt remove em. Once the nerve is dead there will be no pain. Thats y they said give it two weeks and come back so they can re-examine

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Better to wait a bit and to save the tooth. Ace had an abcess once and the vet wanted to pull the tooth. He was an antiboitics and was fine after that for the next 4-5years. He had jumped up to catch a tennis ball the hubby tossed for him and when he came back down he slammed his lower jaw on the coffee table. He was instantly stunned. :eek:

[MENTION=2659]nyerathrt[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.